• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200RT - Riding Gear for Hot Weather

Hi North Texas, congrats on the new bikes, I ride a 09 1200rt I bought lasts year in Aug, I had not ridden in 35 years and had to re-learn how to operate the throttle then I was in heaven.

I rode through the winter for the first time in leathers down here in south Texas, I'm in between Houston and Galveston and right now since June it's been really hot, the heat is 90 and the humidity is 78 to 80, I'm not wearing a mesh jacket with armour yet, I wear a white T and rolled up sleeved thin white winter shirt, jeans became way too hot real fast so I wear much thinner but still denim work pants and sort of heavy cotton socks with leather winter hiking boots. I started sweating badly in my full face helmet so went to a shorty, the type a lot of Harley riders wear and all my riding gear would likely change drastically if I ever went down but I don't know about that either. I've ridden dirt bikes but that not much you can do if a car turns left in front of you, I would really want to hit some one badly but would not. I do wear white mesh gloves and I've been through two hard rain storms I rode through I sure wish I had some place to get under to stay dry but kept riding, NO rain gear, need some badly, I had to lay down on my gas tank to be able to see through my windshield and see the road, it was a little scary as I had not been in rain like that in 40 years. Back in the 70's there was no real motor cycle riding gear, leather jackets, pants, boots and helmets and Ok gloves and that was it. I ride early in the morning till about noon and later in the evening, I'm retired but do not look that age at all, good genes from Mom. My rt looks black and light grey but the black is really very, very dark grey with metal flake, I found a site with the help of some on the forum that sold very bright yellow stick on strips of different lengths so I am seen and car people do take notice, wish the bike was Artic white.

Enjoy your bikes and stay cool if possible this time of year.

I always say "Age is relative!" :)

After reading all the different comments, my wife and I decided to transition from our mesh jackets to Rukka textile jackets. Compared to the mesh jackets, if there is a difference in how they flow air, it's minimal. However, what we gain is upgraded abrasian resistance and better armor. The pants are still mesh, which for the time being we stick with due to the fact that Rukka does not make light-colored summer pants.

We also bought a couple of cooling vests. The Rukka and the cooling vests did a marvelous job a week ago, when we took a trip to East Texas with temperatures in the mid-90's.

For helmets we settled on the Arai XD-4, which also flow air quite nicely and make riding in the hot sun passable.

What we also did is mount Aeroflow Sport Screens on the RTs for the summer. Looking for the shortest screens, those were the best match. We can put them all the way down and let the airflow cool down the vests and if needed, we can raise them to help with the higher speeds and still get enough air behind to promote the cooling effect.

It seems at least until we get into the really hot temps that this combination on our RTs is working well for us.

So, that's our experience. Hope it helps someone else determine which route to take with summer gear. :)

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but if you don't have a cooling vest with you and find yourself in mega hot weather you can get some relief by soaking your entire jacket and pants with water available from any service station w/ a water hose. It won't last real long while riding but boy will it cool you down and you can repeat at th next station on your route as needed :thumb I did this OTW back from the Nor Cal coast when temps were in the 108F range riding past Redding.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but if you don't have a cooling vest with you and find yourself in mega hot weather you can get some relief by soaking your entire jacket and pants with water available from any service station w/ a water hose. It won't last real long while riding but boy will it cool you down and you can repeat at th next station on your route as needed :thumb I did this OTW back from the Nor Cal coast when temps were in the 108F range riding past Redding.

My GF and I had to do that once years ago after camping in the Trinity Lake area. Stopped two or three times just to make it home. I lived in Sacramento at the time and it was at least 10 degrees warmer up there at the north end of the valley.

That would be the quick emulation of a cooling vest. :)

Back