• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

S1000XR Corbin Seat?

I hate Corbin

I bought a seat from Corbin, had issues with it, sent it back at substantial cost.

They had it for three months. Sent it back to me without ever doing a thing to it.

I had talked to the service department before I shipped it, marked the seat as requested, sent a letter in the box as requested. Never received an email or phone call in the three months they had it in their shop.

When I called them to ask why they had not done anything to solve my problem, I was told to do so would cost me and extra $300. This is after I had purchased the seat brand new six months earlier.

Follow up calls have been to no avail, Everyone I talk to is happy to stand by the warranty if only I pay the extra money.

Worst customer service second only to Microsoft. St.

Seat

I really hate the Corbin that came on my bike ( used 1994R1100RS ) if your going to rally in Lebanon contact seat makers tell them what you have and we’ll they have a seat to fit that you can try. Sargent does that I think.

Sargent

I believe you are correct, Sargent was at the Hamburg rally in NY.

They were VERY busy. It might be a good idea to call ahead if you are going to have work done at a rally.

Another anti Corbin rant. One of my friends purchased a seat for his 85 R100RT. He ordered the seat back to go with it. Corbin could not even send him a seat back which matched the style of the seat. St.

Saddles are like helmets,jackets,boots, and such. What works for some does not for others. You really need to test one somehow. I get the opportunity often so that works for me.

Have bought bikes with Corbin's and Sargents as well as one new Corbin that is near the end of it's life. They all were better than the marshmallow softness of the stockers on my RT and GS's. I tested a Touratch a bud had and came home and gave it back to him. Felt like it t had a seat heater on high and I squirmed around on a hundred mile test.

It's like Goldilocks and the beds she tried...too soft or too hard and somewhere there is something just right.I stopped recommending gear and restaurants after folks often said they hated my recommendation:dunno

Corbin

I had two previous Corbin seats and liked them enough to buy the third.

The third seat was uncomfortable due to a seam in the seating area. I have since purchased an Alaska sheep cover and solved the problem for far less then what Corbin wanted for recovering the seat to fix their design problem.

My anger at Corbin is their EXTREMELY POOR customer service. Don't sell me a seat with an implied comfort warranty only to tell me I must extra to fix a comfort problem. Not only that, refund the money I spent to have the comfort problem fixed only to have the seat gone for three months and to get it back with absolutely nothing done to it!

Top the poor service by saying, "Sorry, we charge extra for that". St.

Just to offer my anecdotal experience with Corbin and a 2003 R1150RS:

I did a ride-in to the factory rather than mail order.

Was able to test ride the seat without the cover, with some very minor whittling to get my fit, then they covered it, and I put years on it with no issue at all.

Would have done the same with my 2016 R1200RS, but the only configuration was the single seat pan comprised of both rider and pillion seats - I wanted to maintain the tool storage on the rider seat, so ended up with Seth Laam seat (also a ride-in to Seth's shop) - he formed the rider seat to my particular posterior, and we left the pillion alone (just recovered - didn't change the foam, since I don't have a passenger to be concerned with).

Just saying...

I replaced the stock seat with a Sargent seat. I had the low seat and replaced with a Sargent low seat version. I love that the front of the seat allows my legs to reach the ground even easier because it is narrow. The stock seat seemed to be a scoop that held my butt in a single position. The sargent lets me move around a bit more and it is more comforatble to me after an hour or so of riding. Of course like everyone said, it is all personal preference.

Corbin

Bought an S1000XR. Love the bike. Hate the seat. Any feedback on Corbin or Sargent Seats would be appreciated.

Corbin has a deservedly bad reputation.

Sargent sold me a very high quality seat for my R1150RT and years ago, restored my stock R90s seat that I'm still very happy with. No dealing's with customer service so can't comment on that, but their products do speak for themselves.

I have a Sargent seat for XR listed in the marketplace. The specs say slightly taller than OEM seat and I had hoped it would be tall enough for me, but it wasn't. Brand new at used price.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, I have a Sargent on my R1100 RT and find it to be very nice. I can't say I've put in any 500 mile days on it, but for general use it's good. It still looks great after twenty or so years. I needed the Corbin Gunfighter seat for my K75S recovered and checked with several seat people, including Corbin. The cost was almost as much as a new one from them what with the shipping back and forth. Sargent was better, and they were easier to deal with. I ended up having a local auto/bike upholstery person do it. It now looks perfect for the $240 he charged which included two different fabrics and contrasting piping.

Corbin was a bad experience

I purchased one as well and was very disappointed. Ergo was not great. It kept me sliding down into the tank very uncomfortable. Sent it back with some specific instructions and ideas to improve. Came back with no change. They wouldn't take it back. $500 in the garbage can! I have ridden the HP seat and the Sargent seat and both are better. I haven't found the perfect seat if there is one.

I purchased one as well and was very disappointed. Ergo was not great. It kept me sliding down into the tank very uncomfortable. Sent it back with some specific instructions and ideas to improve. Came back with no change. They wouldn't take it back. $500 in the garbage can! I have ridden the HP seat and the Sargent seat and both are better. I haven't found the perfect seat if there is one.

Welcome to the forum!
Throwing it in the trash seems a bit excessive.
Try listing it in our Marketplace accessed from the button above. Everyone’s butt is different. Could be exactly what someone else is looking for.
Good luck.
Gary

I Love Corbin

People should take note of Post #5.

On a similar note, I wear an Arai helmet - but do not find all models of Arai helmets to be comfortable for me. That doesn't lead me to trash the company. I also try on a suit of clothes before I buy it. Same applies to seats, apparently.

People should take note of Post #5.

On a similar note, I wear an Arai helmet - but do not find all models of Arai helmets to be comfortable for me. That doesn't lead me to trash the company. I also try on a suit of clothes before I buy it. Same applies to seats, apparently.

My complaint with a seat maker arises when I encounter absolute indifferent customer service. The companies that welcome a send-back and modification rise to the top of the heap. The companies that will do repairs or re-covers rise to the top of the heap. The company that refuses to do modifications or even fix shoddy stitching or stapling sinks to the bottom.

Last edited:
Paul, I fully agree

Hey Paul, I fully agree with you. The reason I will NEVER do business with Corbin and have NOTHING good to say about them is their lack of customer service. I spent $165 to ship my seat to them with a valid complaint, waited four months with NO contact from them only to have the seat returned with NOTHING done to it. When I did get in touch with them after this nonsense, I was told I would have to pay additional money to solve the problem. As the problem is a seam in the seat, I solved it with a sheepskin cover for half the price of shipping it back plus the cost they wanted to modify it. Now, stock seats are available again and the next time I will go with one of them. Or, I might get a local seat company to make a seat on a now available stock pan. Unless I am at a rally, and Sargent is there in person, I will not be mail ordering a seat again. St.

Back