• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100RS mirror question

stevenrankin

I am sure there has been a thread in the past about this topic.

I have seen some bits and pieces of articles on how to improve the mirrors on the RS to see behind rather than the shoulders and elbows.

So, if one of you fellow RS riders has replaced your mirrors, would you be so kind as to tell me the details as to what mirror did you use and where did you them from.

If one of you has made extensions or purchased extensions, would you share the information.

Forgive me for asking again. St.

RS mirrors

hello, hopefully here are some old photos of my 1977 r100S/RS the mirrors were Emgo brand for a Suzuki gsx I think they were super, good rear view and vibration free and do,nt look too much out of place I also tried the 1985 on type which are larger, but found I still had to withdraw my elbow to get a good view backward,there are other mirror extentons if you throll the airhead photos ,hope this assists Jimmy:ca

Attachments

• Florida 2015 007.jpg
    Florida 2015 007.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
RS mirrors

Hi Steven, yes I had to drill one hole each side, just in front of the fairing bracket, so one stud from the mirror through the fairing bracket the other through the fairing fiberglass cant be seen while on from the outside, also when original mirrors are reinstalled cant be seen ,thought I sent two pic,s will try to sent it now, all the best Jimmy ps, just went through the bike shops , and have found these on Dennis Kirk web site emgo 20-78281 for $21.55 just trying to help Jimmy

Attachments

• Florida 2015 006.jpg
    Florida 2015 006.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Thank you for the replies

Thank you for the replies so far.

Not sure if I want to drill holes in the fairing yet.

Wish I knew someone with a 3D printer set up. LOL. St.

You'd be surprised who might have one around. What about any schools with tradesmen courses?

The issue is getting the part scanned into a description file and then having the file interpreted by a printer to get the part. I needed a part for a mechanical clock and got some help to get the part converted to a description file. Then I uploaded the file to a company called Shapeways. I got my part printed and all I had to do was pay for shipping...the promotion was the printing was free for my first job.

I also used EMGO mirrors on my RS. I found a set that I could adapt to the stock mirror mounts. I give a write-up here on the second page. They have held up well... I commute on the bike frequently and have found them to be a great upgrade.
:beer

RS .jpg

I wil check this out

I also used EMGO mirrors on my RS. I found a set that I could adapt to the stock mirror mounts. I give a write-up here on the second page. They have held up well... I commute on the bike frequently and have found them to be a great upgrade.

I will have to check this out.

Thank you everyone who has answered me. St.

If you have ‘77-‘84 mirrors, the mirrors from ‘87-on RS or RT are better and bolt on with nothing extra required.

Probably not what you're looking for but I've found that nothing beats Napoleon bar ends for visibility. I got so used to them on my airheads I found ways of adapting them to my modern bikes.

Probably not what you're looking for but I've found that nothing beats Napoleon bar ends for visibility. I got so used to them on my airheads I found ways of adapting them to my modern bikes.

Please let us know how you adapted Napolean bar end mirrors to work with RS handlebars within an RS fairing?? Oh, you are right, not what we were looking for. :scratch

Friedle
why should I be the only one who doesn't read BEFORE responding ???

Newer version

If you have ‘77-‘84 mirrors, the mirrors from ‘87-on RS or RT are better and bolt on with nothing extra required.

I looked at a couple of microfiches and did not see enough of a difference in size of the mirror to justify the change from older to newer mirrors.

RT versus RS mirrors, the RT is a wider fairing and uses a different mirror base.

I have both and RT and a RS, I can see behind me with the RT but still see a lot of shoulders and elbows.

I never did ask Herr. Muth as to why they did such a poor job in designing mirrors on an otherwise great bike.

I am trying the emgo mirrors. St.

I looked at a couple of microfiches and did not see enough of a difference in size of the mirror to justify the change from older to newer mirrors.

RT versus RS mirrors, the RT is a wider fairing and uses a different mirror base.

I have both and RT and a RS, I can see behind me with the RT but still see a lot of shoulders and elbows.

I never did ask Herr. Muth as to why they did such a poor job in designing mirrors on an otherwise great bike.

I am trying the emgo mirrors. St.

Steven,

The question of mirror placement came up at the 40th RS anniversary rally that Todd Trumbore hosted in 2017. Hans brushed it off, "Why do you need to look behind you, the action is in front of you.", or words to that effect.

I suspect he has heard the criticism before. I image longer stalks may have offended his aesthetic vision for the RS.

The Emgo solution works very nicely and IMHO look just fine. But, what do I know about aesthetic vision, I'm just and engenieer. :)

Best.
Brook Reams.

...The question of mirror placement came up at the 40th RS anniversary rally that Todd Trumbore hosted in 2017....

I also asked Hans Muth about the mirrors on the 77 RS during Todd's 40th RS anniversary gathering. Hans indicated that the placement was dictated by
some German rules and the mirrors were not very aerodynamic. I gathered that he wasn't super pleased about the mirrors, but this may have been
one of those management dictates where his suggestions were over-ruled.

At present I am using the Nick Greear extensions which allow the outer half of the mirrors to be useful in looking behind the bike and yet still allow for
one to monitor the build-up of bugs on one's shoulders. At speeds above 75 mph the mirrors on the plastic Greear extensions begin to shake quite a
bit.

I may switch to the Emgo mirrors. I purchased a set a while back, but decided to stay with the stock mirrors and then gave the Emgo mirrors to a
friend with a 77 RS. I rode his bike with the Emgo mirrors installed and realized that those mirrors really are a better solution.

Back in the day

Back in the day when I first purchased my RS, I rode faster than most of the cars/trucks, Herr. Muth was correct.

Now in 2019 I can be driving along at 75mph and have a 20 year old girl in a Kia riding my ass or some jerk in a large pick up ready to run me over going 85.

Trying to ride in any kind of traffic without the ability to see behind is stressfull to say the least. St.

Changed one so far

I have changed one mirror so far and took my first ride with it.

What a difference!

I can see behind me now and the Emgo mirror vibrates less.

I will never understand why BMW did not change the mirrors after the first RS run in 77. St.

Mirror Replacement

I used Emgo EMGO number 20-35222 (left) and 20-35221 (right) for a Honda CBR 600 RR.

Removed mirrors from supplied base, substituted a different bolt and used the stock bases.

All hardware is the same as the stock mirror except the bolt. St.

Last edited:
Back