Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R100RS mirror question

R100RS mirror question

I am sure there has been a thread in the past about this topic.

I have seen some bits and pieces of articles on how to improve the mirrors on the RS to see behind rather than the shoulders and elbows.

So, if one of you fellow RS riders has replaced your mirrors, would you be so kind as to tell me the details as to what mirror did you use and where did you them from.

If one of you has made extensions or purchased extensions, would you share the information.

Forgive me for asking again. St.

jimmy armour

RS mirrors

hello, hopefully here are some old photos of my 1977 r100S/RS the mirrors were Emgo brand for a Suzuki gsx I think they were super, good rear view and vibration free and do,nt look too much out of place I also tried the 1985 on type which are larger, but found I still had to withdraw my elbow to get a good view backward,there are other mirror extentons if you throll the airhead photos ,hope this assists Jimmy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jimwjarmour; 05-20-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Emco brand for a Suzuki gsx

Emco brand for a Suzuki gsx

Did they fit without drilling the fairing? St.

Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

jimmy armour

RS mirrors

Hi Steven, yes I had to drill one hole each side, just in front of the fairing bracket, so one stud from the mirror through the fairing bracket the other through the fairing fiberglass cant be seen while on from the outside, also when original mirrors are reinstalled cant be seen ,thought I sent two pic,s will try to sent it now, all the best Jimmy ps, just went through the bike shops , and have found these on Dennis Kirk web site emgo 20-78281 for $21.55 just trying to help Jimmy
    Last edited by jimwjarmour; 05-20-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Thank you for the replies

Thank you for the replies so far.

Not sure if I want to drill holes in the fairing yet.

Wish I knew someone with a 3D printer set up. LOL. St.

You'd be surprised who might have one around. What about any schools with tradesmen courses?

The issue is getting the part scanned into a description file and then having the file interpreted by a printer to get the part. I needed a part for a mechanical clock and got some help to get the part converted to a description file. Then I uploaded the file to a company called Shapeways. I got my part printed and all I had to do was pay for shipping...the promotion was the printing was free for my first job.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I also used EMGO mirrors on my RS. I found a set that I could adapt to the stock mirror mounts. I give a write-up here on the second page. They have held up well... I commute on the bike frequently and have found them to be a great upgrade.

RS .jpg
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

I wil check this out

I also used EMGO mirrors on my RS. I found a set that I could adapt to the stock mirror mounts. I give a write-up here on the second page. They have held up well... I commute on the bike frequently and have found them to be a great upgrade.

I will have to check this out.

Thank you everyone who has answered me. St.

These were a limited run but worked well!
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

If you have 77-84 mirrors, the mirrors from 87-on RS or RT are better and bolt on with nothing extra required.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Probably not what you're looking for but I've found that nothing beats Napoleon bar ends for visibility. I got so used to them on my airheads I found ways of adapting them to my modern bikes.
    '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '17 1290 GT, '18 Street Triple RS (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccolwell View Post
    Probably not what you're looking for but I've found that nothing beats Napoleon bar ends for visibility. I got so used to them on my airheads I found ways of adapting them to my modern bikes.
    Please let us know how you adapted Napolean bar end mirrors to work with RS handlebars within an RS fairing?? Oh, you are right, not what we were looking for.

Friedle
    why should I be the only one who doesn't read BEFORE responding ???
    Ride fast safely

Newer version

If you have 77-84 mirrors, the mirrors from 87-on RS or RT are better and bolt on with nothing extra required.

I looked at a couple of microfiches and did not see enough of a difference in size of the mirror to justify the change from older to newer mirrors.

RT versus RS mirrors, the RT is a wider fairing and uses a different mirror base.

I have both and RT and a RS, I can see behind me with the RT but still see a lot of shoulders and elbows.

I never did ask Herr. Muth as to why they did such a poor job in designing mirrors on an otherwise great bike.

I am trying the emgo mirrors. St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post

I looked at a couple of microfiches and did not see enough of a difference in size of the mirror to justify the change from older to newer mirrors.

RT versus RS mirrors, the RT is a wider fairing and uses a different mirror base.

I have both and RT and a RS, I can see behind me with the RT but still see a lot of shoulders and elbows.

I never did ask Herr. Muth as to why they did such a poor job in designing mirrors on an otherwise great bike.

I am trying the emgo mirrors. St.
    Steven,

The question of mirror placement came up at the 40th RS anniversary rally that Todd Trumbore hosted in 2017. Hans brushed it off, "Why do you need to look behind you, the action is in front of you.", or words to that effect.

I suspect he has heard the criticism before. I image longer stalks may have offended his aesthetic vision for the RS.

The Emgo solution works very nicely and IMHO look just fine. But, what do I know about aesthetic vision, I'm just and engenieer. :-)

Best.
    Brook Reams.
    Brook Reams - Arvada, CO
    Endeavor to Persevere
    Various Two-wheeled Vices, All BMW || Website: Airhead Rebuild Projects
    2004 R1150-RS||2002 F650-GS||1983 R100RS||1977 R100RS||1973 R75/5