• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mitas E-07 Dakar Tire

WooDmEn

I just changed my rear tire for the first time, a Mitas E-06 Plus Dakar, at 14,200 miles. This is a 50/50 tire that has good pavement manners, wet or dry, outstanding mileage and great dirt performance. The E-07 Plus (non-Dakar) is twelve bucks cheaper, and has fewer high mileage tread blocks in the center like the Dakar version. Reasonably priced.

Looking for 310 GS information - the little bike that can.

I just changed my rear tire for the first time, a Mitas E-06 Plus Dakar, at 14,200 miles. This is a 50/50 tire that has good pavement manners, wet or dry, outstanding mileage and great dirt performance. The E-07 Plus (non-Dakar) is twelve bucks cheaper, and has fewer high mileage tread blocks in the center like the Dakar version. Reasonably priced.

Just have 800 miles on my 310 and everything is good. Just had the dealer do the 600 mile service. Would like more fuel capacity. Only rode a 350 mile day but the seat really seems to work quite well. Running TKC 80s that roll amazingly well on the road but could be much better in the deep Michigan "now I got you" sand. It takes a bit of time to get the farkles right, center stand, windshield, power outlet, small top box, GPS, heated grips, bar risers, shorty levers and Denali driving lights soon. It comes equipped with a ticket avoidance program that kicks in above 80 MPH as standard equipment. It should make for a good replacement for the 650 GS but not for the X Challenge or the 850R.

Did you do your own 12,000 mile service or have it done? I like the 12k inspection interval but have been wondering how long and expensive it was to deep dive to the single cylinder.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
# 71,449

12k Service

I had the major service done at 10k. The dealer had to undress the bike to change the clutch switch and since it was naked, I had them do the air filter. Did not check valves: the techs and other owners of S1000RRs (the 310 has the same valve architecture) say the valves never need adjustment. Dealer quote for a 310 major service is $700 including valves.

False Economy

I replaced the Mitas E-07 Dakar with the non-Dakar version. False economy saving twelve bucks; the new one has 6k and is over half gone. It’s not going to last 14k like the Dakar version.

E-07's long lasting

I have the straight E-07's on an R12GS cannot say enough good about them with respect to wear. 22000 on my front, right now with about 4k left. Of course, maybe that is not a such a good thing if the reason it wears well is the rubber is "too" hard (e.g., less pavement traction??) I dunno, but I sure like the long wear.

My rear had an E-07 as well but I got a flat (nail puncture blow out) at about 12k (with 3/8" tread left) and BMW replaced it under the BMWMOA tire warranty program with a Heidenou K60 (they didn't carry the Mitas brand,) so I don't know how long the E-07 would have lasted but I will switch back to Mitas when I next need tires. My first year with the tire warranty program and it certainly paid for itself. Tire plus 80 mile tow would have been around $450.

I would be interested in others' comments on the potential drawbacks of tires that last so long . . .

I have a nice shop, plenty of tools, spoons, big compressor, etc., tried but could not change the straight E-07's myself (without a tire machine.)

Back