• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What gives?

motor10

I went for a ride this evening and made the following observations. First, loud pipes are annoying. I don't hear them coming up from behind until they are right behind me, but then I can hear them for quite a long distance a head of me once they pass. Second, I have noticed a growing number of motorcycle riders are failing to use their hand signals or their mechanical directionals when changing lanes. Lastly, I have noticed a growing number motorcycles riding on the road with no directionals on their bikes and of course the riders are again failing to use hand signals. Just some observations, not sure what they mean, but figure all three are not helping the general public's view of motorcycle riders.

Jay

I chuckle as this could be a post from one,two, even three decades ago if the Internet was around.

Loud pipes,even on BMW's can be annoying and may not do the best for being ambassadors for our passion. You multiply the bikes and the problem expands crazily so one group gets the credit typically.

I get it, but nothing new...other than what are hand signals?:D. I kid

Use hand signals on my bicycle still as it is only way to communicate my intentions...I often wonder if newer generations know what I am doing! If traffic is around, I use signals...if I am alone, not always in or on the vehicle I am operating.

Have also been part of the problem at points in my riding career no doubt. Some bikes had louder than legal exhausts, some lost blinkers along the way if they had them to start. Been stopped in my teens and twenties for both and once over ten years ago for waking the deputy up out in the boonies as I headed home late one night on a V-twin which ended with a longer night for me.:banghead

I do my best to do the right thing nowadays and try to ignore the rest of folks behaviors that I will not change. My blood pressure thanks me:thumb

On the road in general......bikes, cars, a lot less since “pressure”- trucks, many instances where a citation could have been issued :dunno
OM

I love how those with loud pipes also have 1000 watt stereos to get above the loudness of the pipes and cause some seismic activities. I guess those that ride these beasts have never HEARD of bluetooth headsets. As far as signals are concerned they don't exist on cages either.

And a host of other things we could P&M about but life's too short to worry about this stuff. We are what we are.

I went for a ride this evening and made the following observations. First, loud pipes are annoying. I don't hear them coming up from behind until they are right behind me, but then I can hear them for quite a long distance a head of me once they pass. Second, I have noticed a growing number of motorcycle riders are failing to use their hand signals or their mechanical directionals when changing lanes. Lastly, I have noticed a growing number motorcycles riding on the road with no directionals on their bikes and of course the riders are again failing to use hand signals. Just some observations, not sure what they mean, but figure all three are not helping the general public's view of motorcycle riders.

Jay

Not that this answers any of your questions but I have spent the last three weeks and will be spending the next three surviving the European motorcycle and scooter scene. :eek

Ok, it’s kind of a blast, but many of the riders here take major, major, major chances... with their lives and yours.... both riding in the mountains at warp factor 9 while slaloming through traffic within millimeters of other drivers, or doing what you would think is the absolute impossible in metro (insanity) traffic on a little 2-smoker while talking on their phone and smoking their cigarette.

While there are very few (like almost none) straight pipe bikes, the whole scene is utter chaos. :ha

Ian

I guess those that ride these beasts have never HEARD of bluetooth headsets.

I have a strong unconfirmed suspicion that it is difficult to keep a bluetooth headset in place with a doo rag and skeleton motif Rayon face mask. :scratch

Mistaken belief

I find the loud pipe people be they motorcycle, car or truck, have a mistaken belief others want to experience their love of power. They love to hear the thunder and feel everyone else wants to as well.

Bottom line is an ego trip for them. "Look at me! I am a bad ass biker/hot rodder/trucker, hear me roar!"

Selfish behavior is on the rise in the world.

I am not going to say anymore as I do not have the space here to say more than the above about loud pipes, music, lack of turn-signals and other idiocy. St.

I guess I was just making some personal observations post my accident and return to riding. We, motorcyclists, are difficult for most to see or even look for, so why do some of us make things more difficult on ourselves then we need to. I, for one, always use my mechanical signals and in a lot of cases I use hand signals with the mechanical signals. I prefer to be seen and safe.

The few guys I ride with, ride Harleys with loud pipes. I either lead or rida farther back from the pack to avoid the annoyingly loud exhaust noise.

Jay

I find the loud pipe people be they motorcycle, car or truck, have a mistaken belief others want to experience their love of power. They love to hear the thunder and feel everyone else wants to as well.

Bottom line is an ego trip for them. "Look at me! I am a bad ass biker/hot rodder/trucker, hear me roar!"

Selfish behavior is on the rise in the world.

I agree, I have read that the number one reason given by property owners for the loss of properties that allow ATV riding, is the loud pipes. We, Americans, have this belief that loud exhaust equals more power.

I also agree that these people with the loud pipes that espouse that loud pipes save lives are looking for attention for their motorcycle alter ego.

Jay

I love loud pipes ...and quiet ones. My heritage softail with Samson Fishtails and my R1200RT stock. I hand AND mechanical signal...I wear all my gear- all the gear...I hate the dickswab who races up my street in his crotchrocket everyday at 7AM, I love the roar of a hundred Harleys going past on a charity run. I love my son's 1978 honda CB750 chopper- no signals and a clown horn no speedo or tach or muffler or much of anything. I love the counter-culture of riders and the euro old bikers(me). I love the scooters downtown-straight normal people discovering the brilliance of two wheels. I love to see anyone older than I (72) still riding- gives me hope I'll continue. I love respectful riders being easy on the throttle in residential areas. I love riders who signal clearly every intention and make sure that if I'm in a cage I know where they are.(ie not ride my blind spot or pass on the right). I love leather and do-rags and aerostich and Held I love bonestock old bikes I love much modified ones...motorcycling is a big tent and I love it- I hate dangerous or bad riders- which was the main point of the OP I guess...he just got me on a roll! lol

Noise and my last word

I hate the dickswab who races up my street in his crotchrocket everyday at 7AM, I love the roar of a hundred Harleys going past on a charity run.

Both classes of rider feel others want or need to hear their noise.

I live on a main road. I LOTH the Harley riders who I can hear in my living room. Be it 100 on a charity run or one. Same goes for crotch rockets, hotrods, trucks, and radios.

When I hear a bike, car, or truck go by while sitting in my living room watching TV, I say to myself Loud pipes could muffle the sound of my shotgun.

This topic has been discussed ever since the first motor vehicle took to the streets. The loud pipe guys can justify their actions all they want and they will not change my mind. I will always HATE loud vehicles. St.

Jay

You obviously have no appreciation for badly-tuned motors and unsafe riding habits. :laugh

Second, I have noticed a growing number of motorcycle riders are failing to use their hand signals or their mechanical directionals when changing lanes. Lastly, I have noticed a growing number motorcycles riding on the road with no directionals on their bikes and of course the riders are again failing to use hand signals.

I think most of them have run out of blinker fluid.

I hate the dickswab who races up my street in his crotchrocket everyday at 7AM, I love the roar of a hundred Harleys going past on a charity run.

Both classes of rider feel others want or need to hear their noise.

I live on a main road. I LOTH the Harley riders who I can hear in my living room. Be it 100 on a charity run or one. Same goes for crotch rockets, hotrods, trucks, and radios.

When I hear a bike, car, or truck go by while sitting in my living room watching TV, I say to myself Loud pipes could muffle the sound of my shotgun.

This topic has been discussed ever since the first motor vehicle took to the streets. The loud pipe guys can justify their actions all they want and they will not change my mind. I will always HATE loud vehicles. St.

Totally agree with you! :)

Back