Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help - Hand Tremors - Making Clutch Action Difficult in 1st Gear

Help - Hand Tremors - Making Clutch Action Difficult in 1st Gear

Hi Folks -

I have tremors in my hands. So far, the only real problem has been with typing - thank god for spellcheck!

The level of tremors has increased to where I'm having trouble regulating a smooth shift from a stop in first on my MY 17 GSA. I also ride a KTM 690, just got back from two weeks of offroad in Moab, UT - but - the KTM has a ReKluse clutch which means you don't have to use the clutch to start in first. I have throttle issues as well, but can stop this issue with a thumb stabilizing my hand.

Anyone else have tremors and found ways that help. Doctor says I'll be the shaky old man we all have in the family. Anyone use a wrist brace or magic juice to help you fight this thing?

If you know a rider with tremors, please pass my username on to them. Gotta find a solution, or my BMW days may be limited.

ReKluse is starting development on a BMW compatible clutch. I've volunteered along with my GSA to become a test rat for their development - wish me luck. A ReKluse clutch works kind of like the centrifugal clutch on a minibike, but is pretty darn handy in slow, technical riding.
    Retired with a Wife that Rides, Life is Good!

Thanks - Arlo Guthrie said it best, "I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcicle!"

Some of the newer bikes have shift assist...that might help.

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Joe -

I only have problems with 1st gear. My 17 has shift assist i the upper gears, but you still have to get into 1st manually - to my understanding. I'll call the dealer on Monday - Thanks.

Honda offers DCT transmissions on the Africa Twin and a couple of other bikes. The can go either full automatic or just clutchess.

I know a guy who has very bad essential hand tremors and was just prescribed Propanalol. It seems to help with the tremors but I don't know if it is compatible with riding motorcycles.
    Last edited by Anyname; 05-19-2019 at 11:04 PM.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

I have hand tremors and weakness from years on the tools.

My doctor prescribed Propanalol as well but I can't taking it if I want to hold a Professional Driver's License so he switched me to Metaprolol.

I still have tremors, not as bad but with the weakness, he prescribed braces for my wrists.

Not happy like I was ten years ago but not unhappy either.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

My brother 64 had brain surgery for the tremors 2 years ago. Drilled 2 holes in his head and installed some sort of implants on his brain. He has a control unit the size of a Zippo Lighter embedded in his upper right chest that is controlled by the doctor with an App. I think he's had two adjustments made since the installation and the tremors are almost non existent now. I'm not sure, but I think the procedure is not that rare.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 107k miles
    2013 TW200
    2018 Yamaha X-MAX

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    I have hand tremors and weakness from years on the tools.

My doctor prescribed Propanalol as well but I can't taking it if I want to hold a Professional Driver's License so he switched me to Metaprolol.

I still have tremors, not as bad but with the weakness, he prescribed braces for my wrists.

Not happy like I was ten years ago but not unhappy either.

Hey Thanks -

Propanalol is a no with asthma so I can't go there. Actually, my asthma has been getting worse over the last 8-10 months. I looked up the other heart related drugs I'm taking and in all three drugs I keep seeing the may make asthma worst and several talk about shaking and tremors. Best have long talk with my Doctor about these possible side effects...................

Quote Originally Posted by SHAG View Post
    My brother 64 had brain surgery for the tremors 2 years ago. Drilled 2 holes in his head and installed some sort of implants on his brain. He has a control unit the size of a Zippo Lighter embedded in his upper right chest that is controlled by the doctor with an App. I think he's had two adjustments made since the installation and the tremors are almost non existent now. I'm not sure, but I think the procedure is not that rare.
    Wow - Your brother must have really had a really bad case to have that surgery. I hope he wasn't hurting, glad it worked for him.

Don't think I'm really ready to have somebody drill two holes in my head. That sounds risky, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by river-runner View Post
    Wow - Your brother must have really had a really bad case to have that surgery. I hope he wasn't hurting, glad it worked for him.

Don't think I'm really ready to have somebody drill two holes in my head. That sounds risky, yes?
    I have heard that there is a gamma knife (focused radiation) surgery for essential tremor, though I have done no research beyond that.

Hey Thanks -

Propanalol is a no with asthma so I can't go there. Actually, my asthma has been getting worse over the last 8-10 months. I looked up the other heart related drugs I'm taking and in all three drugs I keep seeing the may make asthma worst and several talk about shaking and tremors. Best have long talk with my Doctor about these possible side effects...................
    I think you just gave yourself the best advice that will emerge in this thread.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I’ve got tremors- not quite to the point where I’m regularly having first gear problems but I have the occasional kangaroo start. Doesn’t help with slow riding, either. Let me know if you find a fix, and good luck.

He had no pain, Just the shakes. Trouble typing and annoying when trying to get little things done like threading a needle kinda stuff.

The surgery was not a big deal and we have stopped calling him "My Favorite Martian"

His birthday is Wednesday. I'll get some more details
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 107k miles
    2013 TW200
    2018 Yamaha X-MAX

OP Followup -

So about a week ago I started taking magnesium after several web sites on tremors had discussed this supplement as a treatment for hand tremors. Just plain old magnesium tablets!

So the day after I started, 95% of my problem was not evident. I went out and rode my GSA and it is just like old times - controlled, well modulated clutch.

This is amazing as my GP Dr. had hand tremors and you'd think he would have been studied up on it to recommend some alternatives - he always told me they were there for the duration.

I can type again! Hope this holds!

FWIW - my favorite magnesium is "Natural Vitality Natural Calm" (comes in a tall tube). Mix it in little warm water and it fizzes, supposidly converts it to a more bioavailable form of magnesium.

Magnesium is the one of the nutrients that a majority of us are missing in our diets.

Just be a little careful with any magnesium, it has a tendency to pull water into the colon...

(FYI - I'm not a doctor, so YMMV)
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558