• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Intermittent Spark

burnbender

Hello all. I have a 2003 R1150R with 40,000 miles. I replaced the spark plugs with Autolite this spring and have around 1000 miles on them. The bike has developed a miss at low rpm which occurs while taking off in 1st with a load. HES has been replaced, TB's are balanced, and the miss occurs before the bike is fully warmed up. I thought bad fuel may be the culprit so I put in some Sea Foam to dry the fuel and clean the fuel injectors. Any help or thoughts are appreciated. :dunno

The 2003 is dual spark so it has 3 coils. 1 twin coil under the tank and two plug coils at the spark plugs. Those spark plug mounted coils have a history of failures. One issue with them as well is the fragile connector at the plug coil. I'd check these connections to make sure they are OK and look for any corrosion on the connectors.

Since you mentioned you just changed the plugs I suggest you double back and check everything you touched. As the old adage goes, "it's usually the last thing you worked on" may apply here.

Thanks for the input. My 2003 is a single spark. Vin stated the bike was manufactured the summer of 2002. I will check the plug wires. I've been riding a lot of rain this spring, at least 600 miles. While I'm at I will inspect, replace the plugs as they are very inexpensive.

Single Spark

The 2003 is dual spark so it has 3 coils. 1 twin coil under the tank and two plug coils at the spark plugs. Those spark plug mounted coils have a history of failures. One issue with them as well is the fragile connector at the plug coil. I'd check these connections to make sure they are OK and look for any corrosion on the connectors.

Since you mentioned you just changed the plugs I suggest you double back and check everything you touched. As the old adage goes, "it's usually the last thing you worked on" may apply here.

2004 was the first year for Dual Spark. Officially, anyway. :)

RPG

2004 was the first year for Dual Spark. Officially, anyway. :)

RPG

I had an '03 single spark. If I recall correctly the twin spark actually crept in as a running change mid year. It may have been early release of the '04 models.

Sometimes model years and actual years don't compute. Voni's 1994 R1100RS was actually built in March '93 and we bought in in May'93.

Quick update, I replaced the plug wires ands found this to be a cure all. Thanks for the input. I've been on a week long tour and just now was able to respond. Thanks again to all.

Back