Thread: Intermittent Spark

Intermittent Spark

Hello all. I have a 2003 R1150R with 40,000 miles. I replaced the spark plugs with Autolite this spring and have around 1000 miles on them. The bike has developed a miss at low rpm which occurs while taking off in 1st with a load. HES has been replaced, TB's are balanced, and the miss occurs before the bike is fully warmed up. I thought bad fuel may be the culprit so I put in some Sea Foam to dry the fuel and clean the fuel injectors. Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

Have you inspected the H/T leads for cracks?
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

Refresh my memory, H/T leads?

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by burnbender View Post
    Refresh my memory, H/T leads?
    High tension leads. Spark plug wires.

Quote Originally Posted by WWeldin View Post
    Have you inspected the H/T leads for cracks?
    Yep...my first thought too.
    Swap them out to make sure. I've had a dodgy HT lead with no visible fauts in it.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    The 2003 is dual spark so it has 3 coils. 1 twin coil under the tank and two plug coils at the spark plugs. Those spark plug mounted coils have a history of failures. One issue with them as well is the fragile connector at the plug coil. I'd check these connections to make sure they are OK and look for any corrosion on the connectors.

Since you mentioned you just changed the plugs I suggest you double back and check everything you touched. As the old adage goes, "it's usually the last thing you worked on" may apply here.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Thanks for the input. My 2003 is a single spark. Vin stated the bike was manufactured the summer of 2002. I will check the plug wires. I've been riding a lot of rain this spring, at least 600 miles. While I'm at I will inspect, replace the plugs as they are very inexpensive.

Single Spark

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    The 2003 is dual spark so it has 3 coils. 1 twin coil under the tank and two plug coils at the spark plugs. Those spark plug mounted coils have a history of failures. One issue with them as well is the fragile connector at the plug coil. I'd check these connections to make sure they are OK and look for any corrosion on the connectors.

Since you mentioned you just changed the plugs I suggest you double back and check everything you touched. As the old adage goes, "it's usually the last thing you worked on" may apply here.
    2004 was the first year for Dual Spark. Officially, anyway.

RPG

Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    2004 was the first year for Dual Spark. Officially, anyway.

RPG
    I had an '03 single spark. If I recall correctly the twin spark actually crept in as a running change mid year. It may have been early release of the '04 models.

Sometimes model years and actual years don't compute. Voni's 1994 R1100RS was actually built in March '93 and we bought in in May'93.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quick update, I replaced the plug wires ands found this to be a cure all. Thanks for the input. I've been on a week long tour and just now was able to respond. Thanks again to all.