Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1977 R100/7 Key Information Needed

Engine badge: see paragraph #12 here on Snowbum's page:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/chemicalsetc.htm
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Keys to happiness?

About ten years ago purchased some keys and locks for a /5 directly from Nieman. I don't know if its still possible.

Just last week requested some new keys for a '76/6, & '92 R100GSPD from BMW.

The dealer said the existing keys were too worn to be able to make reliable copies with their equipment, that they could submit a request for brand new keys if provided the VIN #s.

They weren't positive it could be done, I have not heard back from them yet.

I hope to find out this week and will post when I do.

The Taylor B69K blank is brass and if still available works on both Airheads. Nieman keys are steel.

The lack of a great locksmith is a problem I don't have, with 12 MILLON people living here you've got to lock everything. There is a third generation Lock & Key shop nearby.

:5 & 6 keys.jpg

I have always used fork locks & only had 1 problem, it was self inflicted. I used a non folding key to unlock the forks to move a /7, left the key in on purpose (mistake #1), when moving the bike back to its original spot turned the bars opposite lock when I didn't need to (mistake #2) and broke the key flush. I tried taking it out myself, then to the local locksmith. It took him less than 5 seconds to remove it.

Bill
    It’s been 11 days and the dealer hasn’t heard back from Motorad. I haven’t given up hope yet.
    Last edited by tanker4me; 06-06-2019 at 08:19 PM.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4me View Post
    Just last week requested some new keys for a '76/6, & '92 R100GSPD from BMW.

The dealer said the existing keys were too worn to be able to make reliable copies with their equipment, that they could submit a request for brand new keys if provided the VIN #s.

They weren't positive it could be done, I have not heard back from them yet.

I hope to find out this week and will post when I do.
    No go on new cut keys from BMW for the /6, R100GSPD, & K1100.
    Bill
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

All keyed up

There are a few scenarios that i can think of concerning your bike. The best case one is that the original ignition switch failed and was replaced. Then the original keys that fit all the locks were lost. So if you're lucky, you can take the seat lock out, take it to a competent locksmith and have a key made, and have it fit the fork and gas cap.
    I agree with a previous post and do not lock my forks but not for the previous stated reason. I once left the key in the lock in the unlocked position and then snapped it off by turning the handlebars! I also don't lock the gas cap and rarely lock the seat.
    Boxerbruce