Thread: Garmin "Overlander" - Good For Off-Roaders?

Garmin "Overlander" - Good For Off-Roaders?

I received an email from Garmin today regarding a new product called the "Overlander." Based only on a cursory read of the specs, it might be something for members who spend some time off-road.

Here's the URL: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/overlander/
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

That is slick. I wonder what the water resistance is. Also, not a fan of the ram mount.
    It is cheaper than the BMW branded ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I looked at the unit but didnít generate much enthusiasm for it. Itís physical size is a bit intrusive and itís not waterproof, which is enough right there to steer me away from it. I donít have an issue with the RAM mounting as it makes it easy and inexpensive to use the device on multiple bikes, and I am skeptical about whether or not the aftermarket vendors will be developing mount systemsóthey certainly havenít with units like the Dezl. Bottom line is that the Overlander is targeted toward the RV and Unimog-type market, not motorcycles. YOMV, of course.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S PD ó 1993 R100GS ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I do like that it can double as a Spot device with the ability to send satellite texts.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    I looked at the unit but didnít generate much enthusiasm for it. Itís physical size is a bit intrusive and itís not waterproof, which is enough right there to steer me away from it. I donít have an issue with the RAM mounting as it makes it easy and inexpensive to use the device on multiple bikes, and I am skeptical about whether or not the aftermarket vendors will be developing mount systemsóthey certainly havenít with units like the Dezl. Bottom line is that the Overlander is targeted toward the RV and Unimog-type market, not motorcycles. YOMV, of course.

Best,
    DG
    From Garmin's specs, it looks like the unit is rated "IPX5" so "IPX5 means that the product can resist jets of pressurized water. It is important to note that a product rated to be fully submersed in water cannot necessarily survive pressurized water jet."

In theory it should be just fine on a motorcycle. I've been using a Nuvi with a bead of silicone, duct tape, and a ram mount for the last 50,000 miles without problems.

As you noted, RAM has some nice (splashproof with modification) mounts for the Dezl 570 and 770/780. However, when I called to inquire about if they were going to make anything for the 580, they stated "no" - I don't really need a 7 inch GPS, so I'll stick with my Nuvi until it bites the dust.

I couldn't find anywhere if it would pair with a bluetooth headset like the Dezl or Zumo series, just that you can pair it via bluetooth to your phone.

Greg Rice has a nice writeup about using nonmotorcycle GPS's on your ride: http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558