• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Power at utility connector does not shut off

guenner

Power at accessory socket does not shut off

I have a USB charger connected to the accessory socket next to the ignition key. When I turn off the ignition the power at this connector cuts off after 60 seconds.

Yet, when I connect two LED lights with 0.8A each the power never cuts off. With just one light connected it does shut off.

I can only guess that there is something 'magic' going on to support the BMW battery charger at this port.

Any other guess?

Guenther

Hi,

If you are talking about the BMW factory canbus (called a DIN or Powerlet,) connection socket, then yes. The BMW canbus battery maintainer does some magic to wake up the electronics to receive power.

This is a “keep the battery charged device.” Not a charge from dead device.

Not turning off with certain loads connected may be problem, or some electronic logic we don’t know about. How long have you waited with the higher load connected?

Would need a dealer to diagnose if this is normal or there is a problem. The canbus is complex and not something you can service or adjust.

Hope that helps.

Fwiw

This port is controlled by the ZFE-computer which controls all the switches, lights and external ports. The Canbus is the connection between the computers on your BMW. The ZFE measures and shuts off the outputs electronically.

/Guenther

If I understand this correctly, your connection “emulates” what the controller is looking for when a maintainer would be connected. I think if you removed your device, wait a few minutes and plug it back in, the power will remain off.
I’m a fan of a direct connection to the battery for chargers and accessories for the simplicity of connections.
OM

Back