• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The 10 Best Buys in Motorcycles for 2019 - Popular Mechanics

They coulda' stuck an R nine T in there...yes? no? The indian FTR lists for a few bucks more so it wasn't price.

Pretty subjective subject. Depends on what one considers a "good buy" and I suspect that differs for almost all of us. Several bikes on the list are neat looking, at least to me, but I probably would not buy them.

One of them isn’t even a motorcycle! As for the rest, nothing of interest.

OK, pull your nose out of the air. :) Technically the Ryker is a motorcycle. Spyders are actually quite fun to ride. The wife rides a Syper RTL and I enjoy riding it along with my R1200 RTW.

The rest really don't fit my style of riding.

Pretty cool line up. I really like the SV650, nice. The new indian is pretty cool as well. The Ryker 600 and 900 at those price points could pull a lot of people from the pillion perch.

Nothing in that line up for me either. No desire for a 300 CC motorcycle. I like my liter+ engines.

In defense of the article, it was for the best buys, not the best motorcycles. If seems to me it was more in reference to new riders, first bike purchase.

OK, pull your nose out of the air. :) Technically the Ryker is a motorcycle. Spyders are actually quite fun to ride. The wife rides a Syper RTL and I enjoy riding it along with my R1200 RTW.

The rest really don't fit my style of riding.

According to the first three dictionaries I looked at, the definition of a motorcycle is “a vehicle with two wheels and an engine”. The three-wheeled thing is a tricar. I guess they’re ok for people who don’t really enjoy riding a motorcycle although personally I can’t see the point of getting wet and cold without the joy of leaning over in corners.

Jeez...
I read it as best buys for folks who need low cost models. Some do nothing for me, some I have had a similar model at some point, and a few would be fun to zip around on.
I read Popular Mechanics, have for years, just never for bike purchase suggestions as being the best source.

The debate over three vs. two wheels continues and for some, three is a necessity to enjoy the ride due to age,health, or injury. I don't knock folks for riding what they are able to:dunno One never knows what life has in store for you.
The Spyder and the Slingshot had to be called motorcycles to be approved here.

And, lower displacement bikes can embarrass some (lot of)liter+ bike operators under certain conditions...we do it regularly on 390 and 790cc thumpers. Heck, even my 75/6 has had to wait for the 1200's to catch up more than once.

The head shaking after some realize a thumper riding female out rode their big bike is priceless:scratch The young Ninjas always give a thumbs up when they catch up.The V-Twins just frown and waddle away at the gas stop.
Yes, on a straightaway we are toast...but in technical stuff we have a blast.

The smaller class racing bikes ( HondaCB300R, KTM RC390, Kawa Ninja400) are quite capable and I too recall when 450cc was a huge machine the first time I straddled one.

To each his/her own, but a ride is a ride.

I like the Bonneville Speed Twin. I don’t know that I’d call it a “best buy” but I like it.

The three wheel/two wheel debate might go on forever, but if making a list of ten motorcycles for any reason, I think I would fill it with two wheelers first.

You folks should have been around in the mid-'80s when BMW introduced the classic K bikes. The ridicule from the /2 and Airhead crowd was deafening. Until somebody's 1000 cc twin got badly smoked by a K75 on either the straights or the twisties. And that didn't even consider the K100 bikes. They didn't shut up but they did calm down a little. Repeat for the F800 vertical twin bikes.

Psychologists and other social scientists call it confirmation bias. "I bought this so it just has to be the best."

You folks should have been around in the mid-'80s when BMW introduced the classic K bikes. The ridicule from the /2 and Airhead crowd was deafening. Until somebody's 1000 cc twin got badly smoked by a K75 on either the straights or the twisties. And that didn't even consider the K100 bikes. They didn't shut up but they did calm down a little. Repeat for the F800 vertical twin bikes.

Psychologists and other social scientists call it confirmation bias. "I bought this so it just has to be the best."

What people should add to the last sentence is “for me”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I was young and couldn't afford to pay attention, I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven if I had any one of those bikes, even the R3 or 300R.

Last edited:
When I was young and couldn't afford to pay attention, I would have thought I'd died and gone to heaven if I had any one of those bikes, even the R3 or 300R.

Tastes change. When I was young, I thought jack and coke was the thing. Now my drink is Macallan, neat.

Back