Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Break In Service

  1. #1

    Break In Service

    How important is the break in service on a new K1600?

    I bought a 2018 bagger with 750 miles on it. I don't know if it went through one.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,433
    Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post

    I bought a 2018 bagger with 750 miles on it. I don't know if it went through one.
    Thanks.
    Ask the dealer or the previous owner.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  3. #3
    LOL. I, of course, did ask the dealer. The dealer is a used motorcycle dealer that buys slightly used BMW's from BMW directly. They are their bikes in conventions, ads, etc. They did not know.

  4. #4
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    How important is the break in service on a new K1600?

    I bought a 2018 bagger with 750 miles on it. I don't know if it went through one.
    Thanks.
    I believe that any BMW Motorrad Dealer can lookup your VIN in their system and pull up a service history for work done at any BMW Dealer. Not 100% certain on that, but it would be a good idea to go to your closest/preferred BMW Motorrad Dealer and say hello to them. Ask to see the service manager, tell him/her that you bought the bike second-hand and wanted to verify that the Run-in Service had been done. Again, they can only verify if it was done by a Motorrad Dealer and entered it into their system (which they should for warranty purposes).

    Being a new potential customer for them, I would think if they are a reasonable shop they would be happy to help.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

  5. #5
    The local Austin, Texas BMW dealership service told me that service records are not shared by dealers. So there is not a national database. The information is only kept at the dealer level.

    Regardless, I've scheduled it for Friday. I'm sure it is a simple service, and I'm paying more than I probably would outside of the dealer, but I'm doing this first one with them.

  6. #6
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,433
    Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    The local Austin, Texas BMW dealership service told me that service records are not shared by dealers. So there is not a national database. The information is only kept at the dealer level.

    Regardless, I've scheduled it for Friday. I'm sure it is a simple service, and I'm paying more than I probably would outside of the dealer, but I'm doing this first one with them.
    I think dealers can only see what recalls have been done at other dealers.
    Since there's no way to find out if the 600 mile service has been done I think it's good you plan to have the service done.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    13
    I recommend that you have a qualified BMW Dealer do the Break-in service if it hasn't already been done. I noticed a big difference in performance with my '18 Grand America after the break-in service. My Dealer explained that BMW de-tunes the throttle input on all new bikes to prevent over Rev'ing by Owners during the engine break-in period. As a result, part of the service is a maintenance software update to removes the Rev restriction. Being a first time BMW Owner, I didn't believe it until I rode the big K home. Much better throttle response. The service is expensive, but well worth it especially for warranty purposes, after that routine service can be done by the Owner.
    - Kevin

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 18grandam View Post
    I recommend that you have a qualified BMW Dealer do the Break-in service if it hasn't already been done. I noticed a big difference in performance with my '18 Grand America after the break-in service. My Dealer explained that BMW de-tunes the throttle input on all new bikes to prevent over Rev'ing by Owners during the engine break-in period. As a result, part of the service is a maintenance software update to removes the Rev restriction. Being a first time BMW Owner, I didn't believe it until I rode the big K home. Much better throttle response. The service is expensive, but well worth it especially for warranty purposes, after that routine service can be done by the Owner.
    - Kevin
    I had the service completed. I don't know if there was a huge difference in throttle response. So, it may have already been done. No problem, though. It was worth the peace of mind.
    2016 R NineT classic
    2018 K 1600 Bagger

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Buena Vista CO & Marco Island FL
    Posts
    14
    Don’t know if this is true for BMW, but I read that a different oil and a different type filter are often used by the factory on the assumption that these will be replaced very soon. The filter was described as highly restrictive knowing that break in elements would be shed by the engine. The oil was described as basic quality with the assumption it wouldn’t need to last long. Regardless, it seems like an unacceptable risk not to do it.

  10. #10
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I think dealers can only see what recalls have been done at other dealers.
    Since there's no way to find out if the 600 mile service has been done I think it's good you plan to have the service done.
    Lee, for future reference, I'm thinking that BMW Motorrad should be able to identify the selling dealer and that a call to that dealer might, or might not, be helpful (save the expense of re-doing the service if it has already been done).

    Quote Originally Posted by sea2summit View Post
    Don’t know if this is true for BMW, but I read that a different oil and a different type filter are often used by the factory on the assumption that these will be replaced very soon. The filter was described as highly restrictive knowing that break in elements would be shed by the engine. The oil was described as basic quality with the assumption it wouldn’t need to last long. Regardless, it seems like an unacceptable risk not to do it.
    I'm familiar with the thread you are referencing. Possibly correct, not doubting the poster's reporting, but questioning their source's info to some degree.

    Regarding the oil used, if correct, my suspicion is that it is not used because it is cheaper and will be changed soon (600 miles), but rather to aid the break-in process and possibly it would have a higher Zinc and Phosphorus, a lower detergent formula that is common for break-in oil. Valve-train break-in actually works best with different oil properties than piston ring break-in so good Break-in oil is formulated to address both and typically has a 100-500 mile expected life/utilization-span. If BMW is actually using a different oil, I'd suspect it would be a compromise between a true break-in oil and their regular oil.

    As for the oil filter point, it's possible, but here I'd be even more suspicious of that idea. I could see something like that being used by the factory for internal testing of engines they are evaluating, but really question them being used with vehicles sold to the general public.

    Engines today are, from what I understand, run at the factory for a short period of time while hooked up to sensors that ensure everything is running correctly and within spec. With the very high-quality metals and processes being used today along with the cylinder-wall preparation, most of the old engine break-in process is no longer needed, they're virtually completely broken-in with very little need to do anything other than make sure you don't lug the engine or run it under load for extended periods during the first 500-1,000 miles.

    All of this is just my personal opinion, YMMV.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: 2019 R1250RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '14 R1200RT / '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Similar Threads

  1. Break in and 600 mile service
    By haxbmw in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-01-2019, 06:58 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-06-2017, 03:45 AM
  3. Break-in day
    By djmiller217 in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-25-2015, 12:08 AM
  4. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 12-23-2014, 06:25 AM
  5. Bad break
    By windypoint in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 07:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •