Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: I Broke My "87 K100RT Today. Suggestions?

  1. #1
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,843

    I Broke My "87 K100RT Today. Suggestions?

    Thought that today would be time to change the washers and gaskets on my '87 K100RT's gas cap.

    After removing and replacing washers and gaskets, I reassembled the gas cap components, turned the key to test the locking mechanism before attaching it to the gas tank. Once that was accomplished, I shut it just to be certain that the lock would work, before attaching it to the gas tank.

    Well, the lock did not unlock and the tumblers pulled out of the lid.

    Is a new gas cap in my bike's future or is there a fix to unlock it? I know it will definitely will need new tumblers.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

  2. #2
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Thought that today would be time to change the washers and gaskets on my '87 K100RT's gas cap.

    After removing and replacing washers and gaskets, I reassembled the gas cap components, turned the key to test the locking mechanism before attaching it to the gas tank. Once that was accomplished, I shut it just to be certain that the lock would work, before attaching it to the gas tank.

    Well, the lock did not unlock and the tumblers pulled out of the lid.

    Is a new gas cap in my bike's future or is there a fix to unlock it? I know it will definitely will need new tumblers.
    Paul,

    Post pictures. It sounds salvageable.





    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Belle Plaine, MN
    Posts
    423
    If the core pulled out, you should be able to use a set of long nose pliers to actuate the cup in the bottom of the hole to release the cap. Once it's back on the bench, you can sort out what went wrong.

    As Lee suggested, post some pictures and wait for guidance.

    See the following for my adventure with the gas cap on my 85 K100RT.

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Stuck-Fuel-Cap

    Monte
    85 K100RT

  4. #4
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,758
    You probably aren't to this point yet as your first step should be to try and get the original tumbler back in to open the cap (unless one or both of the two pins on the end of it are broken off). If they are, try inserting the tips of some small needle nose pliers into the coresponding holes in the lock and turning. Be careful not to bugger up the holes! Remember, the lock rotates COUNTER clockwise.

    Worst case:

    If you are trying to open a cap that is off the bike (lost key, bought off eBay with no key, lock broke after rebuild but haven't reinstalled, etc.):

    Drill a small (1/8" should do) hole at the very front of the filler ring just below the flange. Angle the hole slightly up towards the cap.
    DO NOT DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH! Stop drilling when you hit the tongue of the latch. The latch is steel, the flange is aluminum.
    Just drill a little at a time and check. Use a nail or a punch to push the latch in. Fill with fuel resistant epoxy when done.


    P1020199.jpg


    P1020198.jpg




    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  5. #5
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,843
    Thank you Lee. This is an alternate solution to the first link. I have posted pictures over at
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Stuck-Fuel-Cap.

    There is nothing to grab with long nose pliers. This solution looks as it might be the way that I'll go.

    Cheers!
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

  6. #6
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Thank you Lee. This is an alternate solution to the first link. I have posted pictures over at
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Stuck-Fuel-Cap.

    There is nothing to grab with long nose pliers. This solution looks as it might be the way that I'll go.

    Cheers!
    Paul,

    If you look into the hole in the cap where the tumbler goes, you SHOULD see two small round recesses where the pins on the back of the tumbler engages the locking mechanism. They may have the broken off pins from the tumbler in them. You might be able to drill or pick them out. It is these recesses/holes that you need to engage with the tips of small needlenose pliers or a made up tool and rotate counterclockwise.
    The recesses are less than 1/8" dia. and less than 1/8" deep. Don't enlarge them as then they won't work with a new tumbler.





    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  7. #7
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,758
    Paul,

    Just saw your pictures. One the pins is broken off the end of your lock cylinder (tumbler). You will need a new one:
    51 25 1 455 109 LOCK CYLINDER WITH KEY $43.09

    Once you get the new cylinder, you can rekey it to your ignition key before you install it. I will post the rekeying process as soon as I get my scanner working (later today or tomorrow).


    You will need to clean out the recesses as mentioned in the previous post.





    Last edited by 98lee; 05-15-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  8. #8
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,758
    Paul,

    Here is the Service Bulletin from BMW on how to remove Integral Case locks and how to rekey them. Rekeying is the same for gas cap and seat lock cylinders.



    Scan A.jpg


    Scan B.jpg




    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  9. #9
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,843
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Paul,

    Just saw your pictures. One the pins is broken off the end of your lock cylinder (tumbler). You will need a new one:
    51 25 1 455 109 LOCK CYLINDER WITH KEY $43.09

    Once you get the new cylinder, you can rekey it to your ignition key before you install it. I will post the rekeying process as soon as I get my scanner working (later today or tomorrow).

    You will need to clean out the recesses as mentioned in the previous post.

    Thank for the information re: keying a new cylinder lock, Lee.

    Are you saying that once I open the gas cap, all that I will need will be a new lock cylinder and what I have will be back in operation? &
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

  10. #10
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Are you saying that once I open the gas cap, all that I will need will be a new lock cylinder and what I have will be back in operation? &
    Paul,

    If you can clean up the two recesses that the two pins on the back of the cylinder engage in, and they aren't messed up, yes.

    You should probably redisassemble the cap and make sure there is no binding in the locking assembly.




    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  11. #11
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,843

    The K's Gas Cap Saga Continues

    So the good news is that with the help of a friend's additional hands, thinner long nose pliers, combined with a wood working clamp (with plastic teeth) and a small screwdriver, the gas cap opened with no drilling.

    The downside is the plastic insert that the tumblers turn, need replacing.

    Now I have yet to go the bone yards, but I first called my local dealer where I was told the insert I need is not sold separately, only sold as part of the gas cap. Being curious, I asked how much the cap would be, , and the parts manager said, nothing since BMW no longer sells that part.

    With a holiday this weekend in Canada, it may be the first of the week (Tuesday) before my search resumes. I will find time this weekend to search Ebay to see what is available.

    Who knows, maybe there's an old decrepit K100 gas tank, selling for next to nothing, that has a pristine gas cap attached to it, longing for a new home.

    Worse case scenario, Monte's nail hole opener may be the final solution but I'll do a lot of searching before that alternative.

    I better take the R out on the weekend to empty it's gas tank as I was asked to have it low on fuel on Tuesday morning when it goes in to have the Ohlins rebuilt. I do have two very large jerry cans but, they presently are filled with the K's petrol.

    Since the K's gas tank is off, and although for the most part, heat has not been a problem with this bike, this seems like a good time to make and install a "Johnny Blanket" under the tank/seating area.
    Last edited by Paul_F; 05-18-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

  12. #12
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,758
    Paul,

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-85-90-...ty!94566!US!-1

    Do not get the one that says it is from the '85 K100. If you look closely at the top, it is a push button type cap.



    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  13. #13
    RK Ryder
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    2,843
    Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Paul,

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-85-90-...ty!94566!US!-1

    Do not get the one that says it is from the '85 K100. If you look closely at the top, it is a push button type cap.
    Thank you Lee.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

  14. #14

    Reply

    If you see in the small hole there will be a dense sign in it you should repair that one
    ok

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-22-2018, 05:17 PM
  2. R12R System case broke today!
    By Cycl2day in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2016, 02:28 AM
  3. turn signal stuck "on" '87 K100RT
    By mckayprod in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 06:49 AM
  4. Broke down today
    By andrewdell19 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-10-2008, 12:52 AM
  5. Suggestions for starting my K100RT?
    By Paul_F in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2006, 12:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •