Thread: Coolant replacement

R1100RT,K75,Burgman650 chrismiii's Avatar

Coolant replacement

Has anyone attempted to replace their coolant themselves yet? It seems odd that the bike requires a special machine to just replace this. I have a 2014 RT and itís been a fantastic bike! My 3rd RT.

Every dealer I ask tells me lifetime on coolant. Once I get to 4 years I will try to do it.

It cant be rocket science. Drop hoses drain everywhere you can, fill warm up and burp using the hoses.

We did it on the LT and yes sometimes we would trap some air but it would come out burping it. No different then a car to do IMHO.

I see no need for any vacuum or pressure devices other then to run you into the dealer to lighten your wallet.

I just checked mine and it was all but 4 oz down. It was at the min line and I filled it to the max line.

I bought a gallon at a BMW car dealer. I mix 50-50 distilled and anti freeze. I mixed 4 and 4 so saved the 4 oz mix in a water bottle to have it.

Again they say lifetime but I am always suspicious of "lifetime" stuff.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

If it is like the Wedge K engines, the only way to get the air pocket out is a vacuum tool. Burping the system will still leave a void in top of engine.
    The radiator is lower than the top of head. No biggie, the tool and process is not hard after the first time and can be done in a home shop.

My understanding of the R is it is such a minimal amount only cooling the head, it should last a long time between needing attention. The early Wetheads and the dribble from the weep hole of the water pump for some seemed to be a source for needing a top off. Other than that...where could it go?
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Water Pump Leak

[I]My understanding of the R is it is such a minimal amount only cooling the head, it should last a long time between needing attention. The early Wetheads and the dribble from the weep hole of the water pump for some seemed to be a source for needing a top off. Other than that...where could it go?[/I]

Just a FWIW.... At my 6000 mile check a couple months ago, the tech identified my H2O reservoir was down to 1/4 and determined the water pump on the '17 R1200 GSA was leaking. He said a small amount of seepage at the weep hole is normal, but in warranty, BMW calls for the pump to be replaced if the reservoir falls below a certain point. This of course required removing the front of the engine case to access the pump, which meant a "free" oil change.
    "Solů el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    If it is like the Wedge K engines, the only way to get the air pocket out is a vacuum tool. Burping the system will still leave a void in top of engine.
    The radiator is lower than the top of head. No biggie, the tool and process is not hard after the first time and can be done in a home shop.

My understanding of the R is it is such a minimal amount only cooling the head, it should last a long time between needing attention. The early Wetheads and the dribble from the weep hole of the water pump for some seemed to be a source for needing a top off. Other than that...where could it go?
    Well a RT or a GS the head is way lower then the radiator.

As I said we did our LT's and sometimes yes we had to work a bubble out. But on most it was pretty strait forward. Should be able to burp the RT/GS/GSA no issues.

The point of there not being much coolant is in my mind a reason to want to change it out in a set period of time. Coolant does loose effectiveness over time and heat cycles.

I hope someone goes first so we know, but when I get the urge to do it I am gonna get er done.

Maybe I will get JVB to experiment with me?
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW