• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Wannabe Questions

I am not bashing BMW, BMW Owners, or Harleys.

As a fellow HD Limited rider (2014), a former Yamaha FJ, Honda Valkyrie, Kawasaki Vulcan, Triumph and current BMW R1200RT owner I can comment here. I know I don't have a K bike, but still, some things are relative.

Of all the motorcycles I've ridden in my 52 years riding (I'm 66) I find the Limited to be the most competent Tourer. I'm 6'2 and have an LRS windshield with a re-curve, I have no buffeting. I can ride that Harley tank to tank all day long, easily dong 800 miles a day, day after day. I've done 6600 miles in 21 days and wanted more. The Harley has many faults, doesn't handle as well as the BMW, is heavy and under powered, but for miles-eating comfort, I can find none better. Stock seat, some highway pegs (cheap by BMW comparisons), and an LRS shield the correct height and you should be able to ride without worrying about buffeting.

My RT is a blast to ride on the Texas Hill Country roads mostly because they are in my county. I don't have to ride far to get to them. The little 1200 is fast, quick and powerful, and relatively lightweight compared to the Limited. Pill the bags, no trunk, and you are on a sport bike. The BMW seat is like sitting on a two-by-six with a napkin for padding. Lowered foot pegs help a bit with the knee cramps, but were expensive, and the rear brake lever is no longer usable. To add highway pegs is very very expensive. The windscreen is electric and Harley would do good to adopt this. The heated seat and hand-grips are a nice idea. The Bluetooth is poorly done but at least it will mate with a common Sena unit, no BMW branded unit necessary. The GPS is available to the wealthy, not included like the Limited. The BMW has ride modes and electronic suspension which are great. TPMS is very expensive to replace and seems to need it every couple of years. Tires are great in the twisties but short lived, most being needed to replace in less than 8k miles.

Your Limited is not perfect, but your stated purpose is for touring, and I would think you could find the right windshield for a couple of hundred bucks to fix the buffeting you experience. Also, earplugs or Bluetooth earbuds can make the wind-noise negligible.

Your FJR is much less expensive to own, and the Limited is pretty expensive to own unless you can do your own maintenance, but the aftermarket makes upgrades and replacing things you don like or things that break inexpensive. Not so the BMW world. Things just cost more in the BMW world, and we Harley owners accept poor craftsmanship as routine, and BMW owners seem to accept exorbitant prices on everything as routine.

I ride my Limited anytime I'm going more than 200 or 300 miles, and the BMW when I am staying local. I'm looking for a seat I can afford, and highway pegs. I would like to take the BMW on a trip to Colorado or Arkansas from Texas.20190612_104916-1.jpgIMG_0001.JPG

Condition, Condition, Condition

I would rather ride to Chicago to have a date with Candice Owens than to ride a mile for a date with Joy Behar. My point is that within reason, better to travel 400 miles for a great bike than 40 miles for a questionable one. As a rule, these bikes are not bought nor owned by people who pound them to death, nor cheap out on maintenance. Make no mistake, any K1600 is a Behemoth and as such, some people buy them and find that they are simply too big/heavy for them and trade for something smaller. Also, within the fold, there are the "I have to have the newest, hottest, most expensive thing I can get my hands on" crowd who buy them, ride them for 2-3 months and then trade them in for the newer, hotter, even more expensive thing they can get their hands on. A third group are the hard core riders who ride 15,000 miles a year or more but are very careful to maintain their machines. Finally, to my original point, better a 2015 with 10,000 miles, than a 2018 with 40,000 miles. When I bought my 2012 with 24K on it, it was from a dealer with whom I have done business for over 50 years and he had the maintenance records. It was equipped with options that told me the previous owner knew what he was doing when he picked options. As a rule, people who buy these bikes are a pretty smart crew, (except for me) and they take care of them. Go buy the best one you can find and if you have to travel, enjoy the ride back. Best of Luck, 3hawks

Back