• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wannabe Questions

bigbillfl

Hey all,

It is time for a new tourer. I am riding a couple of bikes now, HD Limited and FJR, both 2016s. The HD isn't treating me well. I can't cure the wind buffeting issue, and so will not tour on it. The FJR is not comfortable enough to tour long distances. So I am lusting after either a BMW K1600 GTL or Goldwing. Both of my current bikes will go to new owners with the acquisition of a new bike.

I am not adverse to buying a gently used GTL and have discovered several in Florida that may work.

How far back should I go for a used model? Are there significant differences between a 2015 and a 2019? What about issues relating to the used models that may have been resolved in later and the new models? How many miles is too many?

Our local dealer has a 2018 GTL with, according to the dealer, every option offered in 2018 with just over 4000 miles. It is pretty, and pretty pricey according to NADA. This dealer also has a new 2019 that would work, but it doesn't have reverse. Shucks.

There is also a used 2015 with fewer than 500 miles at nearby dealer. Is this too old? I say this understanding that the bike isn't that old, but technology changes exponentially these days making last year seem like a century ago.

I want a bike that I can use a commuter and as a tourer. The GTL seems like it is able to do both. And the luggage is removable in much the same way as my FJR. I am also looking for comfort (my HD is comfortable at speeds where I can tolerate the buffeting) and sport. Sport is fun and I don't want to forgo all of the fun. Hence, the FJR. It would be great to have one bike in the garage again.

I have not owned a BMW. I have owned several HDs, mostly touring models. I have also owned several Japanese bikes over the years, ranging from crotch rockets, to a Goldwing of yore, and the FJR.

The FJR is a great bike for the money. I just can't get comfortable enough on it to be on it for hours and miles at a time. The HD is, well, an HD.

Please understand I am starting from ground zero. So any information will be new information to me.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate buying any year K1600. There are no inherent issues that I am aware of. There were a couple recalls on early models (left hand switch assemble, water pump) and if they have been attended to, you should be fine. Your dealer should be able to run the serial # to confirm.
The only real upgrades to a new model are things like key-less ride, reverse assist, graphics, shift assist; things like that. Newer ones would have the benefit of a warranty.
I have a 2012 GT and have not seen a feature to motivate me to buy a newer machine...essentially they are similar.

The K1600 Forum is a good resource for info, opinions and insight.

Good luck!

Joe

Here's my 2 cents: Look further afield online!
Consider the MOA MarketPlace as a resource, but think about other BMW dealers' inventories On The Web, then be willing to travel to get your "New/Used" bike!

I bought a slightly used 2014 GT at Morton's BMW (Fredericksburg, VA) in Dec 2018 with less than 10K miles. I did not want a GTL, but here's three nearly identical Used ones on the floor from Sept '18! They are out there, in dealer's showrooms, and they'd love to sell one from stock! Apparently people tire easily with these models...

Ciao, HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
GTLs-VA.jpeg

Thank you for your replies.

Is the only difference between the GL and GLT the tourpack?

The G/L is a very nice looking bike.

Thank you.

Serially - I don't know what a Tourpack" is, but if you ride 2-up, then get the Backrest/Topbox-w-armrests.

If U ride Solo, just buy the Fargin GT. U can always strap another 'waterproof' bag to your cargo-rack!!!

Don't make it any more complicated than it needs to be...

"Tourpack" is just the Harley term for the larger trunk (+ pads/etc. if/as applicable).

I own a 2014 K1600GT, I bought it in 2016 new.
There are several differences between the GT and GTL and you need to ride each to decide which one fits you best. I bought an aftermarket top case (SHAD) and saved some serious cash as opposed to buying a BMW top case.
The 14 model is as far back as I'd go. The 17-19 models of GT/GTL have the newly mapped throttle which are considerably different than the 16 and older and when I say different, I mean horribly bad when compared. The newer models also have reverse, keyless ignition and pro shift. No matter if you buy a GT or a GTL, you'll want a new seat if you are going to be putting miles on it. RDL is the best of the best but some guys think they are ugly.
these bikes are inherently very good mechanically BUT they do eat tires. You'll get anywhere from 4000-6000 miles on a good set of tires.
If you have any further questions, feel free to ask away

GT/GTL Concerns

My concern with the GT is that the riding position will not be as comfortable as the GTL. I have a FJR1300ES. That riding position isn't the best for longer rides for me. I am a pretty good sized guy at 5'10" and 270 lbs and I need my space and some leg room. Ha ha.

I've also read that the GT and GTL are not that stable at highway speeds. I have a hard time believing that either of these bikes are any less stable than my HD Limited or my FJR. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

And what about the left pull issue? It seems odd that any touring bike, or sport tourer, would have a handling issue.

I may be a victim of paralysis from too much analysis. The internet can cause information overload.

I am trying to get to a one bike garage. And I want that one bike to be able to haul be around town and haul me down the interstate with some level of comfort.

Thank you.

I just bought a '18 Bagger. Love this thing. So much fun.

However, I was looking all over my region for different K1600's. Don't limit yourself to nearby dealers.

I bought a '16 R NineT in January from the BMW dealership in Colorado, and had it shipped to me in Texas. Even with the shipping I feel like I saved a lot of money and got the model that I was specifically looking for. You can find motorcycle shipper on UShip's website.

My concern with the GT is that the riding position will not be as comfortable as the GTL. I have a FJR1300ES. That riding position isn't the best for longer rides for me. I am a pretty good sized guy at 5'10" and 270 lbs and I need my space and some leg room. Ha ha.

I've also read that the GT and GTL are not that stable at highway speeds. I have a hard time believing that either of these bikes are any less stable than my HD Limited or my FJR. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

And what about the left pull issue? It seems odd that any touring bike, or sport tourer, would have a handling issue.

I may be a victim of paralysis from too much analysis. The internet can cause information overload.

I am trying to get to a one bike garage. And I want that one bike to be able to haul be around town and haul me down the interstate with some level of comfort.

Thank you.

I have a GT and I'm 6'2", 240lbs and have no issues with leg room, I think you'll be just fine!
I have no idea what you have heard about instability with these bikes at highway speeds, I haven't witnessed this at all.
Left pull isn't a thing on the majority of these bikes, mine doesn't have the left pull. The guys who report a left pull are few and far between. Not a concern.
You need to take each bike on a test ride for 50 or so miles and see what you think. We can discuss this for eons and it won't help you as much as a nice long test ride.

Left pull isn't a thing on the majority of these bikes, mine doesn't have the left pull. The guys who report a left pull are few and far between. Not a concern.
You need to take each bike on a test ride for 50 or so miles and see what you think. We can discuss this for eons and it won't help you as much as a nice long test ride.

FWIW, IF I let go of the handlebars (for a few secs to adjust somethin), my '14 GT does have a bit of a left pull. BUT it is hardly noticeable... Find a bike with the features you're worried about, then connect and take it for a seriously long ride. That will confirm any issues you may have.... NUF SAID!

Ciao! HSV-Phil :wave

Same here, got a used 2015 with 3700 miles on it (bought it on August 18'), no issues whatsoever except for a need of a new set of tires.
as the other guys mentioned here, the bike is heavy and eats tires at a rate of about 4000 miles, depends on how hard you ride.

the bike can cruise on highway speeds for hundred of miles and can be fun on the Dragon's tale at the same time, as all the others mentioned here, if you usually ride alone you better off with a GT model and not a GTL.

my 2015 is packed with everything that was available at the time, including keyless ride, XM radio, Top case etc' it does lack the shift assist and the reverse, however for the price i got it its a bargain that a new bike cannot provide.

i hope this helps you make the right decision for you, i would also suggest to look further away and ship the bike if needed.

all the best!

Bill...im fairly new to BMW having purchased my 2016 K1600 GTLE only last November, it had 2k miles and i paid $16k. My previous 2 bikes similar to yours, a HD Ultra CVO and a 2013 Kawi C14. I bought the kawi as a commuter bike and fell in love, the HD had some overheating issues and became parked. Eventually i gave up and sold it and farkled the kawi, but made the mistake of riding a BMW while in italy and found it very comfy. So i sold the kawi for my current bmw.

This i can say, the BMW is very comfy on the highway but i do feel cross wings and turbulence! I can compare it to when my Kawi would have the Givi 55 top box on, i havent ridden the bmw without the top box yet, im sure it is better. My wife has noted that this is the most comfortable bike she has ridden on, even more so than any of my prior Harleys.

I would try to avoid 2012, i know they had some water pump issues and a couple other quirks. Also i have read that the 2018 up isnt as responsive due to so emission changes. I would also sit on a GT and GTL, they are different handle bars and seats.

Riding season has just begun for me and i have only put on 3k miles, but they have been great miles!

Last edited:
I would try to avoid 2012

I have a 2012 and it has been bullet-proof.
Routine maintenance...thats it.

Water pump and L/H selector faults have been addressed under warranty and it would be hard pressed to find a 2012 that hasn't been upgraded.
A dealer can run the VIN to confirm.

Joe

i would certainly hope by now, 7 years later that BMW has resolved the water pump issues, I was only stating what i had found as issues on past years.

Last edited:
It was solved within 6 months.

Joe

It took longer with the Wetheads.
When we bought our 2016s the Wethead engine had been out for 3 years and there were still water pumps that had the weeping problem.
Some would seep a little then seal on there own.

Thoughts from a former GTL Exlcusive owner

Thank you.

First let me address for "former" owner part - I purchased a 2014 GTL Exclusive new in 2014 b/c my wife could never get comfortable on my 2005 GS. I purchased the exclusive which came with armrests and all the bells & whistles at the time. We rode together for 30,000 miles on that bike and loved it. Then one day while on a ride she said through our helmet comms "I want to ride my own bike, I want a Spyder". Pretty sure that was the last time we rode together on that bike. I traded the bike a year later for a R1200GSA which fits my riding style a little better. I really miss that motor, performance and technology. If I could have a second bike in the garage it would be the GTL.

The riding positions are slightly different between the GT and GTL - test ride each as others have said

Stability at cruising speed - not sure where you heard that, my son and I were coming up from Big Bend, TX to Oklahoma over spring break and the bottom fell out of the temperature. I set the cruise control (greatest invention put on a motorcycle since tires and a motor) on a speed lets just say well exceeding the posted speed limit. That GTL never blinked, just laid its ears back and cruised for 5+ hours. I NEVER experienced any stability issues.

They do eat rear tires - could have something to do with 165hp at the rear wheel and the go-stick attached to the rider's right hand.

Every BMW I've ever owned I replace the stock seat, RDL builds a great saddle. I currently have a Bitch'n Stitch'n saddle, they're a custom saddle shop out of Denver. It's a full day of strip, build, sit, ride, repeat until it's right for you.

I never had an issue with left pull

Buffeting - pretty good out of the box. I switched the stock windscreen for a Z-Technic medium screen (I'm 5'11") and I added both the upper and lower mini-wings from Aeroflow. With those modifications it became the calmest ride I've ever had at any speed.

I wouldn't hesitate to travel a distance for the right bike. I purchased my 2013 GTL in 2016 in Florida, I live in New York. Bike had 12K on it at the time. I flew down and drove it home, without a hitch. I just completed a 9600 mile trip around the country without a single issue. Stopped along the way at Haps in Sarasota for a routine oil change. I would suggest a seat upgrade from the stock seat. Prior to the trip I upgraded to and RDL seat. Best money I ever spent. After 4 weeks of steady riding, not once did I experience any type of discomfort. The bike is definitely made for touring. Handled all types of weather conditions with no issues. Good Luck with your purchase you won't be disappointed with a GTL

Ex Harley Girl here

Thank you.

I am 5'10" with 33" inseam and knees that tend to stiffen up over time. It has a similar seating position to my Dyna Superglide. Truth be told it was a little tight in the leg, so I got an after market footpeg lowering kit. After numerous 600 mile days, I can say I am very comfortable on the bike. I haven't experienced any wobble at highway speeds. The bike is exceptionally stable in hard braking situations.
This bike is my go-to touring bike, but I'm not crazy about riding it in NYC. I keep the Dyna for that.

Back