Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wannabe Questions

Quote Originally Posted by 1jeep View Post
    i would certainly hope by now, 7 years later that BMW has resolved the water pump issues, I was only stating what i had found as issues on past years.
    It was solved within 6 months.

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Quote Originally Posted by 61996 View Post
    It was solved within 6 months.

Joe
    It took longer with the Wetheads.
    When we bought our 2016s the Wethead engine had been out for 3 years and there were still water pumps that had the weeping problem.
    Some would seep a little then seal on there own.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Thoughts from a former GTL Exlcusive owner

Quote Originally Posted by bigbillfl View Post
    My concern with the GT is that the riding position will not be as comfortable as the GTL. I have a FJR1300ES. That riding position isn't the best for longer rides for me. I am a pretty good sized guy at 5'10" and 270 lbs and I need my space and some leg room. Ha ha.

I've also read that the GT and GTL are not that stable at highway speeds. I have a hard time believing that either of these bikes are any less stable than my HD Limited or my FJR. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

And what about the left pull issue? It seems odd that any touring bike, or sport tourer, would have a handling issue.

I may be a victim of paralysis from too much analysis. The internet can cause information overload.

I am trying to get to a one bike garage. And I want that one bike to be able to haul be around town and haul me down the interstate with some level of comfort.

Thank you.
    First let me address for "former" owner part - I purchased a 2014 GTL Exclusive new in 2014 b/c my wife could never get comfortable on my 2005 GS. I purchased the exclusive which came with armrests and all the bells & whistles at the time. We rode together for 30,000 miles on that bike and loved it. Then one day while on a ride she said through our helmet comms "I want to ride my own bike, I want a Spyder". Pretty sure that was the last time we rode together on that bike. I traded the bike a year later for a R1200GSA which fits my riding style a little better. I really miss that motor, performance and technology. If I could have a second bike in the garage it would be the GTL.

The riding positions are slightly different between the GT and GTL - test ride each as others have said

Stability at cruising speed - not sure where you heard that, my son and I were coming up from Big Bend, TX to Oklahoma over spring break and the bottom fell out of the temperature. I set the cruise control (greatest invention put on a motorcycle since tires and a motor) on a speed lets just say well exceeding the posted speed limit. That GTL never blinked, just laid its ears back and cruised for 5+ hours. I NEVER experienced any stability issues.

They do eat rear tires - could have something to do with 165hp at the rear wheel and the go-stick attached to the rider's right hand.

Every BMW I've ever owned I replace the stock seat, RDL builds a great saddle. I currently have a Bitch'n Stitch'n saddle, they're a custom saddle shop out of Denver. It's a full day of strip, build, sit, ride, repeat until it's right for you.

I never had an issue with left pull

Buffeting - pretty good out of the box. I switched the stock windscreen for a Z-Technic medium screen (I'm 5'11") and I added both the upper and lower mini-wings from Aeroflow. With those modifications it became the calmest ride I've ever had at any speed.
    Wes Fitzer-MOA BoD - President
    BMWMOA 170126
    NE Oklahoma BMW Club; BMW Riders of Oklahoma
    2016 R1200GSA

I wouldn't hesitate to travel a distance for the right bike. I purchased my 2013 GTL in 2016 in Florida, I live in New York. Bike had 12K on it at the time. I flew down and drove it home, without a hitch. I just completed a 9600 mile trip around the country without a single issue. Stopped along the way at Haps in Sarasota for a routine oil change. I would suggest a seat upgrade from the stock seat. Prior to the trip I upgraded to and RDL seat. Best money I ever spent. After 4 weeks of steady riding, not once did I experience any type of discomfort. The bike is definitely made for touring. Handled all types of weather conditions with no issues. Good Luck with your purchase you won't be disappointed with a GTL

Ex Harley Girl here

Quote Originally Posted by bigbillfl View Post
    My concern with the GT is that the riding position will not be as comfortable as the GTL. I have a FJR1300ES. That riding position isn't the best for longer rides for me. I am a pretty good sized guy at 5'10" and 270 lbs and I need my space and some leg room. Ha ha.

I've also read that the GT and GTL are not that stable at highway speeds. I have a hard time believing that either of these bikes are any less stable than my HD Limited or my FJR. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

And what about the left pull issue? It seems odd that any touring bike, or sport tourer, would have a handling issue.

I may be a victim of paralysis from too much analysis. The internet can cause information overload.

I am trying to get to a one bike garage. And I want that one bike to be able to haul be around town and haul me down the interstate with some level of comfort.

Thank you.
    I am 5'10" with 33" inseam and knees that tend to stiffen up over time. It has a similar seating position to my Dyna Superglide. Truth be told it was a little tight in the leg, so I got an after market footpeg lowering kit. After numerous 600 mile days, I can say I am very comfortable on the bike. I haven't experienced any wobble at highway speeds. The bike is exceptionally stable in hard braking situations.
    This bike is my go-to touring bike, but I'm not crazy about riding it in NYC. I keep the Dyna for that.

I am not bashing BMW, BMW Owners, or Harleys.

As a fellow HD Limited rider (2014), a former Yamaha FJ, Honda Valkyrie, Kawasaki Vulcan, Triumph and current BMW R1200RT owner I can comment here. I know I don't have a K bike, but still, some things are relative.

Of all the motorcycles I've ridden in my 52 years riding (I'm 66) I find the Limited to be the most competent Tourer. I'm 6'2 and have an LRS windshield with a re-curve, I have no buffeting. I can ride that Harley tank to tank all day long, easily dong 800 miles a day, day after day. I've done 6600 miles in 21 days and wanted more. The Harley has many faults, doesn't handle as well as the BMW, is heavy and under powered, but for miles-eating comfort, I can find none better. Stock seat, some highway pegs (cheap by BMW comparisons), and an LRS shield the correct height and you should be able to ride without worrying about buffeting.

My RT is a blast to ride on the Texas Hill Country roads mostly because they are in my county. I don't have to ride far to get to them. The little 1200 is fast, quick and powerful, and relatively lightweight compared to the Limited. Pill the bags, no trunk, and you are on a sport bike. The BMW seat is like sitting on a two-by-six with a napkin for padding. Lowered foot pegs help a bit with the knee cramps, but were expensive, and the rear brake lever is no longer usable. To add highway pegs is very very expensive. The windscreen is electric and Harley would do good to adopt this. The heated seat and hand-grips are a nice idea. The Bluetooth is poorly done but at least it will mate with a common Sena unit, no BMW branded unit necessary. The GPS is available to the wealthy, not included like the Limited. The BMW has ride modes and electronic suspension which are great. TPMS is very expensive to replace and seems to need it every couple of years. Tires are great in the twisties but short lived, most being needed to replace in less than 8k miles.

Your Limited is not perfect, but your stated purpose is for touring, and I would think you could find the right windshield for a couple of hundred bucks to fix the buffeting you experience. Also, earplugs or Bluetooth earbuds can make the wind-noise negligible.

Your FJR is much less expensive to own, and the Limited is pretty expensive to own unless you can do your own maintenance, but the aftermarket makes upgrades and replacing things you don like or things that break inexpensive. Not so the BMW world. Things just cost more in the BMW world, and we Harley owners accept poor craftsmanship as routine, and BMW owners seem to accept exorbitant prices on everything as routine.

I ride my Limited anytime I'm going more than 200 or 300 miles, and the BMW when I am staying local. I'm looking for a seat I can afford, and highway pegs. I would like to take the BMW on a trip to Colorado or Arkansas from Texas.20190612_104916-1.jpgIMG_0001.JPG