• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Differences between GT and GTL?

I'm looking at used K1600 GTs and GTLs. The GTL weighs almost 40 lbs more than the GT. This has to be more than just the top case? I wish the BMW Motorrad website had a side-by-side comparison. I like the stripped-down GT more than the loaded GTL but most of the used bikes I am finding (locally) are the GTL model.

From a riders standpoint...its mostly ergonomic.
Technically, they are pretty much the same.

Bars...seat and pegs are a little bit different.
Best to test ride and decide for yourself.
For me, the GT fit me better.
GT's are harder to find.

Not sure where the extra weight on the GTL comes from.

You might want to snoop around here: https://www.k1600forum.com/

Good luck.

Joe

From a riders standpoint...its mostly ergonomic.
Technically, they are pretty much the same.

Bars...seat and pegs are a little bit different.
Best to test ride and decide for yourself.
For me, the GT fit me better.
GT's are harder to find.

Not sure where the extra weight on the GTL comes from.

You might want to snoop around here: https://www.k1600forum.com/

Good luck.

Joe
Thanks. I'll check out those links.

They may appear to be and are similar in many ways. But from a rider/pillion stand point these, GT/GTL, are 2, totally different motorcycles. You need to ride both and decide which suits you better. I'm from the camp that if you gave me a brand new GTL I'd sell it immediately. And I know many GTL owners that feel the same way about the GT...

GT vs. GTL

I needed a new touring bike and looked at/ test rode both GT and GTL, same day, same roads. IMO, the GT is a sportier, more responsive bike than the GTL.

They may appear to be and are similar in many ways. But from a rider/pillion stand point these, GT/GTL, are 2, totally different motorcycles. You need to ride both and decide which suits you better. I'm from the camp that if you gave me a brand new GTL I'd sell it immediately. And I know many GTL owners that feel the same way about the GT...

I needed a new touring bike and looked at/ test rode both GT and GTL, same day, same roads. IMO, the GT is a sportier, more responsive bike than the GTL.

IMHO, GT has more legroom, which is very important to Moi!

Thanks for the comments. Until BMW comes out with a K1600S, looks like the GT is the ticket. And I'm looking at used -- no way will I buy one of those new.

Back