• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Low Oil Level and false neutrals 2019 GSA

passedetp

First, about 5 minutes after starting the bike and heading off on Saturday, a "low oil level" warning popped up on my TFT. Considering I just changed the oil a couple days back, I got a little concerned, headed back to the shop, and checked it. Everything was fine.

Are these false low-oil warning normal? Anyone else deal with them?

Also, maybe I'm just shifting too gingerly, but I regularly find a false neutral in between 2nd and 3rd. Dealership said it may be part of the break-in for the transmission and to give it a thousand more miles.

Just want to see if anyone else has dealt with these phenomena and how it panned out for them.

Take care,
Austin

Are these false low-oil warning normal? Anyone else deal with them?

I would not call it normal but both my wife and I get them on our 2016s.
Service manager said it was a known issue with BMW.
We had the sensors replaced last fall and it did not fix the problem.
This spring I heard there may be a software fix.
When I change oil I need to get the oil level near the top of the window.

I saw it once on my '19 so far (little over 1100 miles). It was one of the coldest days I rode it (in the mid-30s to start). I pulled over, stopped the bike, put it on the center stand, then looked at the window which was 2/3 full. Restarted and the warning was gone. I read that it happens a lot so I"m not worried. I assume the system looks at level x number of seconds after startup and if it's low for whatever reason (temperature of oil, angle of parking, whatever) it throws the warning until the bike is shut off.

I've had a couple of missed shifts, but that's happened on every bike I've owned. Did you get new riding boots by chance? I sometimes find that if I switch footwear from my normal riding boots it takes me a few dozen shifts to adjust.

I would not call it normal but both my wife and I get them on our 2016s.
Service manager said it was a known issue with BMW.
We had the sensors replaced last fall and it did not fix the problem.
This spring I heard there may be a software fix.
When I change oil I need to get the oil level near the top of the window.

I appreciate it. I'll keep my ear to ground for a software update and won't sweat so much the next time it pops up.

Thanks, again.

Take care,
Austin

I saw it once on my '19 so far (little over 1100 miles). It was one of the coldest days I rode it (in the mid-30s to start). I pulled over, stopped the bike, put it on the center stand, then looked at the window which was 2/3 full. Restarted and the warning was gone. I read that it happens a lot so I"m not worried. I assume the system looks at level x number of seconds after startup and if it's low for whatever reason (temperature of oil, angle of parking, whatever) it throws the warning until the bike is shut off.

I've had a couple of missed shifts, but that's happened on every bike I've owned. Did you get new riding boots by chance? I sometimes find that if I switch footwear from my normal riding boots it takes me a few dozen shifts to adjust.

Yeah, I'm pushing 900 miles and I've got new footwear. We'll see if it continues.

Thanks for replying.

Take care,
Austin

On the 1250 GSA I had, I got a similar message on the TFT after I’d had the first service done. I’d not gotten the error message again in the 3,300 or so miles I put on the bike (it was totaled in an accident) but the oil level indicator on the dash never worked either. I had the firmware update done to the latest version (001_019_180) and that did nothing to fix it either.

FF to my 1250 GS I just got, I haven’t gotten the message but the oil check only shows the dashes on this bike too. It’s on an older firmware version (001_018_040).

Here’s a picture of what I’m talking about from my “old” bike:

46521246325_5c34b63eea_b.jpg

Make sure all conditions are met listed in the manual before
looking at the oil display on the dash.

On the 1250 GSA I had, I got a similar message on the TFT after I’d had the first service done. I’d not gotten the error message again in the 3,300 or so miles I put on the bike (it was totaled in an accident) but the oil level indicator on the dash never worked either. I had the firmware update done to the latest version (001_019_180) and that did nothing to fix it either.

FF to my 1250 GS I just got, I haven’t gotten the message but the oil check only shows the dashes on this bike too. It’s on an older firmware version (001_018_040).

Here’s a picture of what I’m talking about from my “old” bike:

46521246325_5c34b63eea_b.jpg

Sorry to hear about your first bike. Honestly, I haven't been paying attention to the oil indicator - I just use the sight glass - but I will now. I definitely need to check the firmware, too.

Take care,
Austin

The three dashes have been a constant on my '16 RT. I've probably seen the OK sign twice in 66K km. I just check the oil level in the sight glass.

This is just an oil level indicator, not an oil pressure warning. I wouldn't worry unless you get a low oil level warning or a low oil pressure warning.

This is a note from someone that is not a member but read your post.

Hi 1940. I see that you are a member of this forum and Bmw moa. I follow moa but am not a member and cannot post. A post from passedetp ( just after your last post) was questioning why his oil check status would not read correctly. I have had the same issue with my 2018rt and believe I have solved it. The brakes cannot be applied when using this feature. This is not mentioned in the 2018 manual but is noted in the 2019 manual. The screen shot shown of passedetp indicated his hill start feature was activated - so brakes were allowed. Since I started checked the oil status with “no brakes” I have had 100% success. Are you able to pass this info along to passedetp?
Best regards

If that is the case, it will be an interesting find.
:wave to the lurker for making the effort to provide some information. :thumb
OM

Back