Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What makes your BMW better than HSYHTD

Longevity and Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by jrmull View Post
    What makes your BMW bike better than a Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Harley, Triumph, Ducati, etc?

Telelever and Paralever keeps the BMW bike more controllable that the Honda ST1100's anti-dive forks? I took a recent skills class with a dozen other bikes (Improve awareness and cornering skills). Nine of the bikes were Harley's and their braking distance was kind of long. Some of the other bikes were diving a lot on the corner turns when braking.

Just curious what you found are BMW's engineering accomplishments. For me, the ABS, Telelever anti-dive, controllable power band on their K1200
    Coming from a '71 Sportster that wasn't akin to the touring I had in mind in 1980, I found a pristine used '74 R90s. Knowing nothing about BMW's in particular (except from the strange looking engine), I came to appreciate:

shaft drive
    an air cooled engine that stayed cool
    engineered ergonomics, 500 mile days not out of the question
    simple and robust design
    Still have the bike, now with 140k

in 2002, test rode a R1150RT and was most impressed with:
    the Telelever and Paralever suspension. Grab the brakes and the front end barely moves
    Integral ABS power assisted brakes. Still incredible stopping power today
    electric windshield
    heated grips

Many are motorcycle firsts, which others have tried to copy.

I remember riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway about the time the Yamaha FJR1300 came out. A guy on a new one pulled into the overlook and we got to talking. Beautiful bike but couldn't help but notice all the copying Yamaha did. Saddlbag design and latches, electric windshield, etc.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post

Too light....Weight doesn't scare me.
    With respect, there is no such thing as "too light". A lighter motorcycle will outperform a heavier bike in every respect. Your preference may be for a heavier bike but that's your preference.
    Last edited by BC1100S; 05-13-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Bikes

I switched from Victory motorcycles to an R1200 RTW about a year ago. Had Victory not decided to exit the business, I would most likely still be riding one. I put 110K trouble free miles on a Vision before trading it for a Cross Country Tour. THE CCT is not even close to a Vision as far as handling goes. The Vision was the best bike I have owned to date. As big as it looked, it handles just as good as the BMW. I didn't have to buy an aftermarket seat to be comfortable.

Al that said, I love the R1200 RTW now that I have it fitted to my body. I am not very fond of the fact that the dealer has to reset the mileage meter for oil changes. That is a little to much "Big brother" for me. Might be a deal breaker the next time I am shopping for a new bike.
    Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

2018 R1200 RT- 10K miles and counting

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    With respect, there is no such thing as "too light". A lighter motorcycle will outperform and heavier bike in every respect. Your preference may be for a heavier bike but that's your preference.
    Heavier cars tend to run smoother over bumps. So do heavier motorcycles. That said, newer Harleys are quite improved.
    Turn on, tune in and ride off

Quote Originally Posted by jamo View Post
    Heavier cars tend to run smoother over bumps. So do heavier motorcycles. That said, newer Harleys are quite improved.
    I think you are confusing a physical property with a design choice. Ever ride in one of those big UHaul box trucks? You know, the kind that people like to drive under low railroad overpasses and gas station shelter? It weighs tons yet rides like it has no suspension. A Cadillac/RR/Bentley ride soft not because they weigh a lot but because they have suspension components chosen to achieve that end.

Same with HD/Gold Wing/Indian motorcycles. The market demands a smooth ride and the vendor produced a product to match. Having said that, I was amazed years ago when I test drove a Wing at how nimble yet cushy it was. I never rode a HD that handled any better than a Uhaul up on two-wheels (I'm extrapolating from two HDs and one Honda VTX1800 I rode, all three were POS as far as I'm concerned).
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Not necessarily. The best riding bikes I've ever owned, as far as taking bumps in stride, were my KLR650 and DR650. These are two very light bikes (430 and 400 lbs respectively) with long-travel suspensions and take road bumps like they aren't even there compared to just about any street bike. And with decent street tires they can handle just as well too. My 1994 BMW R100 GS/PD was also a great riding street bike, and I assume the newer BMW GSs are too, as far as riding over bumpy roads.

On one of the roads that I ride regularly there is a manhole cover in the center of the lane surrounded by a small ridge -- it feels like my street bikes are going to come apart if I forget and ride over it at 45 MPH. But my KLR650 and my DR650 would ride over that like it was nothing.
    2000 K1200RS, 2004 R1100S
    2005 K1200S, 2016 F800GT
    2018 R9T, 2018 C650GT

What makes it better? Easy: the boxer engine and shaft drive, plus the all round performance of my R1200RS.

Left Coast Rider
    You've been watching too many car ads from the '60s.

With respect, there is no such thing as "too light". A lighter motorcycle will outperform a heavier bike in every respect. Your preference may be for a heavier bike but that's your preference.
    while I agree that lighter is better I think the exception comes with highway wind, were the weight of my 630+ pound RT seems to make a difference for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by tmasselle View Post
    while I agree that lighter is better I think the exception comes with highway wind, were the weight of my 630+ pound RT seems to make a difference for the better.
    I agree, somewhat. But my liter sport bikes, all weighing around the 450 lb mark, seemed to knife through the wind a whole lot better than my 730 lb H-D Softail.
    Last edited by 75450; 05-13-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    2000 K1200RS, 2004 R1100S
    2005 K1200S, 2016 F800GT
    2018 R9T, 2018 C650GT

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    I never rode a HD that handled any better than a Uhaul up on two-wheels (I'm extrapolating from two HDs and one Honda VTX1800 I rode, all three were POS as far as I'm concerned).
    The 2014 and up Harley touring frames handle pretty good considering their weight. Harley made a lot of major frame changes in 2009 and more in 2014 that improved handling immensely. Suspension still sucks!

I put 65,000 miles on my '13 FJR and 25,000 miles on my '09 KLR 685.

I had the opportunity to ride a friends '15 R1200GS and decided to sell both and buy an R1200 GS Adv.

Is the GS "Better"? Not certain yet, only 6,000 miles since I got it in December. I'll know more after my trip to Alaska in June/July

I like the way it handles, plenty good enough for me, not sure it is as "Fast" as the FJR but "Fast Enough" for this aging set of bones. I like the riding position better, not as cramped. Maintenance cost is a little higher on the GSA than the FJR. At just under 18,000 miles on the GSA, I don't expect any trouble, but I did buy an extended warranty which has already fixed a leaking rear drive seal behind the Brake Disc.

The GSA goes anywhere I was brave enough to take the KLR and it is much more fun and much quicker getting there.

The GSA is harder to pick up than the KLR and isn't any easier to pick up than the FJR.

At this point, the Jury is still out, ask me in August. YMMV
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous

Rally Rat

Smile

That's OK - that 'preference' works quite well for me. Others struggle with that much weight.

Interesting that with all those light, speedy sport bikes, including BMW's, best time on The Dragon belongs to "Yellow Wolf."

He rides a Wing.

Ride safe on whatever makes you smile!

What makes your BMW better than HSYHTD?

MY GSA1200 - Best bike I've ever owned (at this stage in my life). But all the other bikes I've owned were the BEST at those stages of my life.

I freaking LOVE this bike now but I would not have loved it at 18. Or 30... Probably not 40. It's an old man's bike.

So to answer your question at this moment.... shaft drive, loads of carrying capacity, heated grips, built in NAV with wonder wheel, easy valve adjustments, it's tall but so am I... my list is long.
    2015 R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    I switched from Victory motorcycles to an R1200 RTW about a year ago. Had Victory not decided to exit the business, I would most likely still be riding one. I put 110K trouble free miles on a Vision before trading it for a Cross Country Tour. THE CCT is not even close to a Vision as far as handling goes. The Vision was the best bike I have owned to date. As big as it looked, it handles just as good as the BMW. I didn't have to buy an aftermarket seat to be comfortable.

Al that said, I love the R1200 RTW now that I have it fitted to my body. I am not very fond of the fact that the dealer has to reset the mileage meter for oil changes. That is a little to much "Big brother" for me. Might be a deal breaker the next time I am shopping for a new bike.
    I test rode a vision before I got the RT. Brakes felt wooden and higher effort than they needed to be, cruise control looked like an add on and the luggage is well made, but less storage than it looked. I thought it was a better bike than the Ultra and Voyager I test rode, but then I tried the RT and was sold. It was like riding a motorcycle again having come from a 1600 nomad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19