Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What makes your BMW better than HSYHTD

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    If Harley could build a bagger with some suspension I would have never looked into buying a RT. I still have my Harley Limited, and enjoy riding it, but I also enjoy the RT.
    They're building an adventure bike with a modern engine. We should see it next year.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by tmasselle View Post
    what does my 1996 R1100RT have that makes it better than other bikes? I don't know electrically adjustable windscreen? in all seriousness my bike has does not seem to have anything on other bikes. When it was new maybe the ABS, but if it goes now it will likely be more than the value of the bike to replace. The amount of resources out there for the maintenance and modification is a big plus (although a lot of bikes with a big following have that) as well as the boxer seems easier to work on than a Big four inline. The fact that they still make oem parts for my 20+ year old bike is nice
    Eventually, they all catch up. You have to know what you need. The new RTs have gotten expensive and I have to wonder how the tech and plastic will hold up over time? IDK. I just don't want to spend 25K or more on a motorcycle and I don't want someone else's problems. That's the joy of the big four: They tend to be more reliable, but getting parts as they age can be a hassle.
    My Motorrad

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Upgraded from an R1200RT to my 2012 Gold Wing - never looked back. Truly the flagship of long-distance MC travel.

As well as …………

Oh crap. Wrong Forum.

Disregard.
    Not sure if gaining 350lbs is an upgrade.
    My Motorrad

I have been a BMW owner and rider for 42 years. In the early years what distinguished BMW from every other brand was the availability of parts. Since then it has been the dealers and the friends that have kept us riding BMWs.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Rally Rat

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    Not sure if gaining 350lbs is an upgrade.
    That's OK. Not sure sacrificing 350 lbs. of durability and storage was an upgrade either. The most fragile bike I ever owned was the R1200RT.

Too light, too many gizmo's, too over-engineered.

Weight doesn't scare me. I rode PD Harleys with so much gear/add-ons, that they outweighed the Wing - not an issue if you have the training and skills. Could make those Road Kings dance when I needed to. A bike could weigh 1200 lbs. - could still make it nimble and fast. It's more about who's in the saddle.

Besides - the Wing seems to shed 300 lbs. above a walking pace - I sifted my way thru The Dragon's curves on a Wing better than I ever did with the Beemer.

But, back to our originally scheduled program: "Why we all like BMW better than all those other brands?"

Interesting commentary.

That's OK. Not sure sacrificing 350 lbs. of durability and storage was an upgrade either. The most fragile bike I ever owned was the R1200RT.

Too light, too many gizmo's, too over-engineered.

Weight doesn't scare me. I rode PD Harleys with so much gear/add-ons, that they outweighed the Wing - not an issue if you have the training and skills. Could make those Road Kings dance when I needed to. A bike could weigh 1200 lbs. - could still make it nimble and fast. It's more about who's in the saddle.

Besides - the Wing seems to shed 300 lbs. above a walking pace - I sifted my way thru The Dragon's curves on a Wing better than I ever did with the Beemer.

But, back to our originally scheduled program: "Why we all like BMW better than all those other brands?"

Interesting commentary.
    I went from a nomad to the RT and I like the lighter weight. The extra weight with cruisers does nothing positive and then there is suspension. I can handle the weight though. Right now I’m on the fence about riding. I’ve had two spine surgeries since Halloween and I don’t know if I should get back on the bike from a safety perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    My Motorrad

Pre '83; Briggs & Stratton, Tecumseh, Ossa, Bultaco, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Triumph.

24 year break.

Post 2007; BMW R100GSPD, F650, R60/5, R90/6, 2 more Bultacos, a Yamaha and a K1100RS.

The support of this club, the AirHeads, BMW parts availability thru my dealer of choice Irv Seaver, & Motorrad are what smoke the others.

If just riding local, there might have been a Ducati, Guzzi, or even Norton a or 2 in the mix.
    Bill
    To paraphrase Southside Johnny, it ain't the bike it's the ...
    Last edited by tanker4me; 05-13-2019 at 03:36 AM.
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

They're building an adventure bike with a modern engine. We should see it next year.
    Great for you dirt road riders, but I rarely leave the pavement. I don't know why getting a couple more inches of suspension travel, preferably monoshock is so difficult. HD's technology advances like a glacier! I was surprised to see HD was going that way again. The killed Buell a few years back, they could have continued with it with a better power train.

I looked real hard at the 2018 "GW, but I refuse to buy the first year of a new motorcycle. After riding Harleys the weight of the GW is not an issue. It might be my next ride.

Great for you dirt road riders, but I rarely leave the pavement. I don't know why getting a couple more inches of suspension travel, preferably monoshock is so difficult. HD's technology advances like a glacier! I was surprised to see HD was going that way again. The killed Buell a few years back, they could have continued with it with a better power train.
    I don't ride dirt, but a 1250 adventure bike doesn't have to be a dirt bike and probably better off. That said, companies, like people, get stuck because of their own limiting beliefs. I wish them well.
    My Motorrad

On BMW R1200GSA, is there some functional benefit for front nose or just style? It already has front fender for water spray, so it's not for trail riding in creeks. What does it do vs a rounded nose?
    2003 K1200GT

Rally Rat

Smile

I went from a nomad to the RT and I like the lighter weight. The extra weight with cruisers does nothing positive and then there is suspension. I can handle the weight though. Right now I’m on the fence about riding. I’ve had two spine surgeries since Halloween and I don’t know if I should get back on the bike from a safety perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That sucks. My wife is recovering from two crushed vertebrae due to a car running over her. Just had the nerves of 3 spinal facets ablated (burned in half) in an attempt to relive pain.

Back injuries a long haul. Hope you can return to riding.

Have spent some serious time on my son's 2014 Vulcan Voyager - nice ride for a V-twin, but not as smooth as the Honda.

Wings are supremely comfortable and easy on the spine - just saying?!

Good Luck!

Rally Rat

Cool

I looked real hard at the 2018 "GW, but I refuse to buy the first year of a new motorcycle. After riding Harleys the weight of the GW is not an issue. It might be my next ride.
    JMHO, but supremely disappointed with the 2018 Wing. Honda cramped up the riding positions, sacrificed durability for weight-saving, reduced aerodynamic protection and dumped 40 liters of storage space - again, to "save weight."

It's now nothing more than an 'ST1800,' rather than a top-notch touring machine.

2012 - 2017 the best years for the Wings. Sad to see Honda drink the Kool-Aid and shift away from dedicated touring dudes like myself, to court a younger crowd that can't afford them anyways. Remember the Rune?!

Mechanics are furious - nightmare to get at valves for maintenance, and dealer's are begging the mother-ship in Japan to offer an optional touring trunk assembly, to restore storage capacity.

Honda thinks they hit a homerun, but all they did was pop up a foul ball.

My opinion on weight is that heavier bikes absorb bumps better and ride smoother over highways with less expensive suspension. Lighter helps at stops and moving around and acceleration if you have less displacement. Once you’re touring on the highway weight disappears or is a positive.
    Harley’s only real touring problem is air cooling and excess heat. The suspension is fine.
    Turn on, tune in and ride off

Quote Originally Posted by jamo View Post
    Harley’s only real touring problem is air cooling and excess heat. The suspension is fine.
    Funny, but my thoughts are the opposite, my riding buddy feels the same way. Plus a lot of complaints on Harley groups.I don't have any issue with the air cooling. As for the heat I can do some mods and a tune and cure that. The rear suspension on the baggers is terrible. Worst motorcycle suspension I have ridden. You can't do much with 3" of travel. The suspension on the 2018+ baggers is a tiny bit better. There are bumps on roads we travel often that on my Harley in bottoms out hard, wife complains every time. On the RT she just says "Wow! I barely felt that!" More air in the shocks just stiffens up the ride. I have thought about aftermarket shocks, but talk to guys and get mixed comments. One guy will say it is worth it, the next will say it was a waste of money.

On the other hand I like the seating position and controls layout on the Harley better than the RT.