• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What makes your BMW better than HSYHTD

With respect, there is no such thing as "too light". A lighter motorcycle will outperform a heavier bike in every respect. Your preference may be for a heavier bike but that's your preference. :)

That's OK - that 'preference' works quite well for me. Others struggle with that much weight.

Interesting that with all those light, speedy sport bikes, including BMW's, best time on The Dragon belongs to "Yellow Wolf."

He rides a Wing.

Ride safe on whatever makes you smile!

What makes your BMW better than HSYHTD?

MY GSA1200 - Best bike I've ever owned (at this stage in my life). But all the other bikes I've owned were the BEST at those stages of my life.

I freaking LOVE this bike now but I would not have loved it at 18. Or 30... Probably not 40. It's an old man's bike.

So to answer your question at this moment.... shaft drive, loads of carrying capacity, heated grips, built in NAV with wonder wheel, easy valve adjustments, it's tall but so am I... my list is long.

I switched from Victory motorcycles to an R1200 RTW about a year ago. Had Victory not decided to exit the business, I would most likely still be riding one. I put 110K trouble free miles on a Vision before trading it for a Cross Country Tour. THE CCT is not even close to a Vision as far as handling goes. The Vision was the best bike I have owned to date. As big as it looked, it handles just as good as the BMW. I didn't have to buy an aftermarket seat to be comfortable.

Al that said, I love the R1200 RTW now that I have it fitted to my body. I am not very fond of the fact that the dealer has to reset the mileage meter for oil changes. That is a little to much "Big brother" for me. Might be a deal breaker the next time I am shopping for a new bike.

I test rode a vision before I got the RT. Brakes felt wooden and higher effort than they needed to be, cruise control looked like an add on and the luggage is well made, but less storage than it looked. I thought it was a better bike than the Ultra and Voyager I test rode, but then I tried the RT and was sold. It was like riding a motorcycle again having come from a 1600 nomad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comes in a lowered version

My R1200GS came in a factory-lowered version and this was what really important to me. I had had a BMW F800GT because I didn't want a chain drive, and because I thought it was the biggest BMW that would fit me. Then I discovered the lowered GS, which actually fits me better.

But, there are a lot of really nice bikes out there. To each his own. I think the quality and features on most bikes Japanese bikes is competitive with anything BMW sells.

GSA is juust a great all around bike

I have owned 15 Harleys a KLR 650 two Suzuki's a DR 400 and a DR 650 a 2013 GSA and now a 2018 GSA. My 2018 GSA is hands down the best bike I have ever owned. Style performance and truthfully its not a Street Glide that you pass every third bike. Honestly if I could have any bike I have ever owned it would be my 1970 Honda CT 70. Never had a care in the world back then..

I don't think "better bike" is an apt description. More like "which bike best meets your needs." If I lived in a place where the roads were straight and every dirt road had been paved long ago, if I didn't travel long distances, if I was just a two wheeled commuter, if I only rode in fair weather, etc...my choice might have been very different.

Pete

How would Yellow Wolf do running the Dragon on a 1000 cc sportbike after some practice?

One of the fastest riders I have seen on the Dragon was riding HD Dyna. He was passing sportbikes, but again he would be even faster on a sportbike.

I don't think "better bike" is an apt description. More like "which bike best meets your needs." If I lived in a place where the roads were straight and every dirt road had been paved long ago, if I didn't travel long distances, if I was just a two wheeled commuter, if I only rode in fair weather, etc...my choice might have been very different.

Pete

:thumb hear ,hear, totally Pete:dance

Back