• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

One you don’t have

Before I met Arthur Itis.
Snapseed.jpg
It does look like it would keep the knees and other bits warm.

Last edited:
Just curious . . . Is that red and yellow paint on that K1 stock? I don't mind saying that's pretty fugly . . .

View attachment 74018

Yes, it’s stock and yes, it’s ugly. In spite of that, the ketchup-and-mustard K1s seem to be favored among collectors and K1 enthusiasts. Last summer I helped the widow of a late friend sell a beautiful blue and silver K1 with 4500 miles on the clock. Had a heck of a time getting offers and the bike sold for low$$. Note that BMW offered a wider range of K1 colors in non-US markets.

BTW, for those thinking they want a K1 as a rider—be aware that in the heat of summer ANY ride on a K1 seems like a long ride. Just sayin’...

Best,
DG

When I was 19 years old a Butler&Smith dealer loaned me an R27/3 to ride around some to "see if I liked it." I did like it, but thought the R69S was more my style (being 19 and all that entailed). I sure wish I had that R27 now.

Small is just a perspective. I want an R65LS.

This is a 1980 R65. Not an LS, as far as I can tell. I suppose the LS has the fairing is the difference?

"1980 BMW R65 used 19,960 miles, beautiful, clean, runs great, features hard saddle bags, windscreen. new shocks, newer exhaust, cleaned carbs, LED headlight (comes with stock headlight), front brakes re-done, newer tires, newer paint, and new front springs."

1980 BMW R65.jpg

I think the asking price is a bit high, but probably flexible. What would you ask for it?

They were actually very nice motorcycles. But they were never appreciated by the "bigger is better" contingent.

If you were looking to buy and pay for a used BMW you don’t have, what model/year would it be?

I've already had to pass on a couple of K1s because I don't have space in my 1400 sq. ft. shop to park one along with my 6 K75Ss and my wifes F700GS among other toys. But if I had room, a K1 would be my choice.

:dance:dance:dance

Back