• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking at a 1995 k1100lt

timonbik

OK, tomorrow I'm off to look at a 1995 k1100LT. Bike only has 11,000 kms on it. It is a runner but has been sitting a couple of years. Anything I should look for or be concerned about. Apparently it sat covered under a tarp in car port for the last 2 years, Seller states it runs strong but needs a going over.
Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers, Tim

11,000 Kilometers?? That is crazy low mileage. There will be nothing that is worn out on it, just things that might be dried up (mostly rubber parts).

The biggest thing to be concerned with is the fuel system. Gasoline breaks down over time and softens the rubber vibration damper in the tank. This and gelled fuel can be sucked into the pump and injectors, causing problems or killing the pump and plugging the injectors.

I would not buy any early Kbike without inspecting the inside of the fuel tank. I would do that BEFORE trying to start a bike that has been sitting so as not to contaminate the pump and injectors.

Open fuel cap.
Remove 4 phillips head screws around opening (use heavy downward pressure on the screws to prevent stripping the heads).
Lift off cap assembly (may take a little wiggling to break loose the ruber gasket).
Tank is aluminum. You want to see bright shiney aluminum inside the tank. Any discoloration is a sign of contamination from the gas dissolving the rubber inside the tank.

:dance:dance:dance

Well here is the scoop. Went to check the bike out today. Tank looked clean and gas was clear, Bike started right up and seemed to run fine but here is the rub. Antilock brake lights were on as was the fault triangle. Brakes worked fine but ABS lights (2) were initially flashing back and forth. After playing with the switch the ABS light on the right stayed on but no flashing. Owner of the bike had never ridden it and was not familiar with it at all. There was some minor corrosion on the alloy parts but nothing serious. Tires were old and needed to be replaced. All fluids would have to be changed. Any guidance with regard to the ABS system would be appreciated,

Tim

Its supposed to do that

Well here is the scoop. Went to check the bike out today. Tank looked clean and gas was clear, Bike started right up and seemed to run fine but here is the rub. Antilock brake lights were on as was the fault triangle. Brakes worked fine but ABS lights (2) were initially flashing back and forth. After playing with the switch the ABS light on the right stayed on but no flashing. Owner of the bike had never ridden it and was not familiar with it at all. There was some minor corrosion on the alloy parts but nothing serious. Tires were old and needed to be replaced. All fluids would have to be changed. Any guidance with regard to the ABS system would be appreciated,

Tim

If it flashes intiiallly and then stops after moving about 4mph its working correctly

The warning triangle in the center of the dash serves two purposes.

First, it is a rear bulb monitor. You need to apply each of the brakes after you ride off. If the tail light bulb, the brake light bulb, the front brake light switch, or the rear brake light switch are bad, the light will stay on.

Second, it is part of the ABS warning system. If this and the red light to the left of the low fuel light stays on after you have ridden off, that indicates a fault with the ABS system. On bikes that haven't been ridden for an extended period of time, the bikes battery goes dead which will trip a non autoreseting fault code in the ABS system. This requires manually reseting the fault code. This is the most common ABS fault code, but it is also the same code for a bad ABS computer. The only way to tell is to have a good fully charged battery in the bike and do the reset procedure. If it resets, the problem was the battery. If it doesn't, then you need to read the code number and see if it is something other than a bad computer.

http://bmwk10075abs1fix.web.fc2.com/

:dance:dance:dance

old K1100LT

Last year I came across a 1996 K1100LT with a little over 20 K miles on the clock. It was beautiful, looking for all the world like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I bought it, replaced the fork seals, the brake pads and the tires. I treated my backside to a custom seat as well. Now, I just love that bike. What a great touring machine! The engine pulls well from any rpm, & it's quite smooth (more so than I remember my K100RS to be). BMW seems to have gotten it right in the latter years of the K-bike production.

What 98lee said +1.
Last month my new to me K1100RS had the triangle lite up while on a trip to NoCal.
I did not have the owners manual with me, but could tell the ABS and brake light were working.
I wasn’t sure exactly what was wrong until consulting the owners manual when I got home.
Just the taillight had burnt out.
Bill

Last year I came across a 1996 K1100LT with a little over 20 K miles on the clock. It was beautiful, looking for all the world like it just rolled off the showroom floor. I bought it, replaced the fork seals, the brake pads and the tires. I treated my backside to a custom seat as well. Now, I just love that bike. What a great touring machine! The engine pulls well from any rpm, & it's quite smooth (more so than I remember my K100RS to be). BMW seems to have gotten it right in the latter years of the K-bike production.

Not that I dislike mine, yet, but what seat do you go with?

Thanks,
Jer

Back