• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help lowering S1000XR

fslane1966

I could use some help from the members here. Girlfriend wants to upgrade to the BMW S1000XR. I want her to be flat footed on this bike, which means the seat height needs to be about 31 inches. Is this possible? I would like to buy a used bike with low miles.
So, it's my understanding that I can get the low seat and then also buy some suspension lowering brackets. And then even buy some shorter shocks or something. Does this sound right? How much does this cost?
What is the lowest I can get the seat height?

If I get the brackets that lower the suspension do I have to get the different shocks that lower the bike also or is that only if I need to lower the seat height even more?

Kinda lost here. Can you gentleman help me out?
Thank you very much

Russel and Susan

The XR is available with a low frame / low seat. If that will bring it down to 31 inches, I am not sure. I would do an inquiry with your dealer to see if they have more accurate information.

The XR is available with a low frame / low seat. If that will bring it down to 31 inches, I am not sure..

Looks like the low suspension XR has a seat height of 31.1"
This is from the BMW USA site.

HP Sports Seat (high): 33.7", Standard Seat: 33.1", HP Sports Seat: 33.1", Low Seat: 32.3", Low Suspension Kit: 31.1" [Style HP; HP Sports Seat (high): 33.7", Standard Seat: 33.1", Low Seat: 32.3", Low Suspension Kit w/ HP Sports Seat: 31.9", Low Suspension Kit w/ Low Seat: 31.1"]

I have the lowered version. I'm not at home to measure my setup. However, I purchased the lowered version for the reason you've mentioned. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and I can straddle the seat flat footed.

Not sure what handling would be like modifying the standard model.

So, it's my understanding that I can get the low seat and then also buy some suspension lowering brackets. And then even buy some shorter shocks or something. Does this sound right?
Russel and Susan

You can get Soupy’s Lowering links for either high or low version XR and just lower the forks in the triple clamps. You can get the parts from Ebay or Amazon. Ebay best probably. Any good shop can do that I would think. Teds Beemer has a good reputation.

Try this first—-worked for us

I could use some help from the members here. Girlfriend wants to upgrade to the BMW S1000XR. I want her to be flat footed on this bike, which means the seat height needs to be about 31 inches. Is this possible? I would like to buy a used bike with low miles.
So, it's my understanding that I can get the low seat and then also buy some suspension lowering brackets. And then even buy some shorter shocks or something. Does this sound right? How much does this cost?
What is the lowest I can get the seat height?

If I get the brackets that lower the suspension do I have to get the different shocks that lower the bike also or is that only if I need to lower the seat height even more?

Kinda lost here. Can you gentleman help me out?
Thank you very much

Russel and Susan

My wife just the the white 2016, and she was tiptoe. Any challenging hills or different angles while stopped were a huge problem. I had all my research done with lowering the bike———it was going run me 1500.00. My wife purchased two sets of heightening boots and this completely fixed her issue. Overall savings 1000.00 pulse we didn’t change the way the bike was designed. She has over 3600 miles on it. It’s a fun bike to ride going from my luggage hauling thick RT. I took out a Jaguar F type last week—-no problem.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried lowering the forks in the triple clamps a bit? I'm assuming that BMW's "Low Suspension" is shorter fork tubes and a shorter shock in the rear, but sliding the forks down a bit, say .5", might make a small difference, and help the too-short kickstand also.

Anyone tried that?

Back