• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOAners.... why millennials are not joining us.

Ian, I mentioned this program at the Regional Coordinator chartered club meeting in Saratoga Springs that Frank Florio organized and Ray Tubbs attended. Frank did attend the class, but I never heard a thing from the MOA about the results, the organizing, advertising or the future possibilities. But then again, serving on the MOA BoD for eight years, three times as a National Rally Chair, top ten recruiter for ten years, and 22 years as a MSF Instructor/Rider Coach...what the hell do I know?

My enthusiasm for helping the MOA has dwindled in direct proportion to my feeling that the Emperor is NAKED, not wearing fine clothing. I have grown weary of tilting at the windmill. Too many other things to do.

I love helping people learn to ride, or ride better. I no longer enjoy banging my head against the MOA wall. :banghead

Friedle
Ambassador
Lifetime Member

Ian, I mentioned this program at the Regional Coordinator chartered club meeting in Saratoga Springs that Frank Florio organized and Ray Tubbs attended. Frank did attend the class, but I never heard a thing from the MOA about the results, the organizing, advertising or the future possibilities. But then again, serving on the MOA BoD for eight years, three times as a National Rally Chair, top ten recruiter for ten years, and 22 years as a MSF Instructor/Rider Coach...what the hell do I know?

My enthusiasm for helping the MOA has dwindled in direct proportion to my feeling that the Emperor is NAKED, not wearing fine clothing. I have grown weary of tilting at the windmill. Too many other things to do.

I love helping people learn to ride, or ride better. I no longer enjoy banging my head against the MOA wall. :banghead

Friedle
Ambassador
Lifetime Member

Amen.

Friedle
Ambassador
Lifetime Member

I truly wonder what happens to the fine folks that end up SERVING us on the board..... Are they the ones that hang around for their 9 years and then move over to get the benefits of the BMWMOAF????...…...Look at the folks over there on the board and offices and they are the same folks that were with us during the huge losses of the "INVESTMENT ACCOUNT" and after...….

I have become just like the above thoughts. Tired of getting my words and thoughts twisted by those who know so little but expound so loudly...…..:banghead Yes, like many, I read and understand; but say nothing cause am tired of it. Having watched for all these years and seeing the same thing happen over and over again...……….SO, THANKS FOR THOSE WHO KEEP TRYING TO KEEP US ALIVE...…...:dunno:thumb:wave:wave:wave

So... what the heck happened with the GS Giants? Was I asleep when they left?

I could not help but notice that the majority of the Giants were ~one generation younger than the average MOA member (even though the costs for bikes and accessories are pricey), and thought they always seemed to be having fun. I believe they were a great addition to the national rallies and enjoyed watching what they did and noticed their obviously great camaraderie. I don't ride a GS just like I don't ride a scooter but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the bikes and the people who ride them.

Is there a public version of what happened? Would we not learn something from this that might inform us for our future actions? Is this though merely a symptom of the malaise that has befallen the club? Are we afraid and unwilling to change?

I could not help but notice that the majority of the Giants were ~one generation younger than the average MOA member (even though the costs for bikes and accessories are pricey), and thought they always seemed to be having fun. I believe they were a great addition to the national rallies and enjoyed watching what they did and noticed their obviously great camaraderie. I don't ride a GS just like I don't ride a scooter but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the bikes and the people who ride them.

Is there a public version of what happened? Would we not learn something from this that might inform us for our future actions? Is this though merely a symptom of the malaise that has befallen the club? Are we afraid and unwilling to change?

There is no public version. The obvious version is some folks in the BMW MOA or rally hierarchy tangled with some folks in the Giants hierarchy over some trivial or not so trivial detail about the operation of the Giants facility at Salt Lake City. So the Giants took their toys and went home: either because they decided to or were told to. It is a huge loss for the BMW MOA. Apparently the adults were not in the room at the time. Just my opinion since I have no inside knowledge.

Throw leg over bike, go for a ride, let the club morph into whatever organic shape it wishes. Just sayin. The minutes of life pass so quickly that the precious moments become unretrievable. Time in the saddle does not need to be sanctioned. Put towing phone number sticker on downtube, breath the crisp spring air, look out for you know what and savor.

The dues? What about the dues? Fagettabout it. You can't take it with you, or the bikes. Not an existential rant. Two pence.

They’re still out there having a blast.

This summer the big party will be in Dolores, CO (4 corners area) August 1-4.

Thank you for noticing what they brought to the MOA. Maybe things will come back around.

Ian

They’re still out there having a blast.

This summer the big party will be in Dolores, CO (4 corners area) August 1-4.

Thank you for noticing what they brought to the MOA. Maybe things will come back around.

Ian

I thought they were one of the best parts of the SLC rally...very entertaining. I could use more of them and less of the music (not that I dislike music, but how much do we really need at a motorcycle rally??)...uh oh, just got off topic.

There is no public version. The obvious version is some folks in the BMW MOA or rally hierarchy tangled with some folks in the Giants hierarchy over some trivial or not so trivial detail about the operation of the Giants facility at Salt Lake City. So the Giants took their toys and went home: either because they decided to or were told to. It is a huge loss for the BMW MOA. Apparently the adults were not in the room at the time. Just my opinion since I have no inside knowledge.

... Likely, not far from the truth.
Sometime after this 2019 Tennessee Rally, one fact will be known by those with "inside knowledge"; the huge loss of GS Giant participation and attendance...
may reveal itself in lack of club revenue!

"travel'n" John

Throw leg over bike, go for a ride, let the club morph into whatever organic shape it wishes. Just sayin. The minutes of life pass so quickly that the precious moments become unretrievable. Time in the saddle does not need to be sanctioned. Put towing phone number sticker on downtube, breath the crisp spring air, look out for you know what and savor.

The dues? What about the dues? Fagettabout it. You can't take it with you, or the bikes. Not an existential rant. Two pence.

Bite me dude and I mean that in a most affectionate, not in a LGBTQIA way but if you are, that's OK too. What is not cool is thinking that the BMWMOA is the way we should be.

Got the same issues with my industry, "Why should I spend $$$$.$$/yr so you can tell me how to run my Heavy's?"

My son flies a 747-800 ER. He spent all his best years (best for me anyway) on a Beemer with the Mantra: Any road will get us to anywhere.

He doesn't ride. He never caught the brain worm.

My rant: If the squids, posers and wannabes want to buy a 1700CC as there first bike, as a "club" we should be preaching graduated licensing, ATGATT.

That's going to take "scary" out of riding and bring the poor bastards with the brain worm back to "clubs" like BMWMOA to learn more about the ride and riding.

Curious on the GS Giants also... I belong to both the Giants and the MOA.

I did not know they part of the MOA.

To resurrect a dead thread: I have an experience to share about millennial's.

We had a spot about 3 months ago for a mechanic (not a technician) to cover some of my responsibilities in mining, as in, go underground.

The job description was, "to hold a valid respirator fit test". That means; clean shaven.

Three weeks ago he showed up sporting the start of a beard. His respirator fit test was due to be renewed in a week. He failed due to not shaving. I reminded him that it was a condition of employment. He refused to shave on the grounds that in 3 months, he never had to use his respirator. In 40 years, I have never had to use my respirator.

But, if needed to use it and I didn't have it, I would be dead within 30 seconds.

I fired him.

Monday(this week), he took me to the Labour Board and the Human Rights Tribunal.

Who will win?

Who should win?

... while he might ALSO be a millennial; but you just "had" a lack of common sense "dummas"

You win... standards/requirements of safety are not open for compromise at that level.

"travel'n" John

Back