Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MOAners.... why millennials are not joining us.

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    However, it is NOT their fault they are this way. Lets put the blame where it belongs, and that is with their parents or the folks that raised them.
    Hint: “they” are not “this way.” Bless your heart (as they say in the south).... did you happen to notice that points 2-15 have absolutely nothing to do with age? (Well, one could argue points 4, 11 and 16)

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Ian,

The first thing you need to know is that I knew it all started with a joke! The OP was spot on too, and it WAS funny! Not all young people fit this description, but the majority do. However, it is NOT their fault they are this way. Lets put the blame where it belongs, and that is with their parents or the folks that raised them. None of this matters as far as the MOA is concerned, and isn't going to change anything.

The second thing you need to know is that if the MOA membership continues to decline, so what? For me, it will not mean a thing except that I won't be sending in dues. It will not keep me from riding a motorcycle or having the like minded friends in the motorcycle family I have now. The only "problem" will be for the MOA's cash cow dying.

I too have sat around campfires with undesirable folks. What has that got to do with anything? I do not buy that as part of the reason young people are not joining. They simple are not interested in the same things our generation is. I just get tired of the blame being always placed on our age group as being old farts, and not welcoming the kids. That is BS! I'll just bet that if a young person approached any one of us and sincerely showed an interest in learning to ride or joining us (if they could look up from their phone long enough), that we would be more than happy to mentor them...I would. It isn't a good idea to group all young folks into the same category, but by the same token, don't blame the current membership for the MOA's problems. It is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! Just like in everything else. I wished the younger generation had the same interest in motorcycles that we do, but they don't and never will...things change, but quit blaming it on the wrong thing. This younger generation will have other things to offer, but it will not include what our generation wants or likes. We are all going to be dead soon, and none of this is going to matter anyway...so I'm going out and ride my motorcycle & hope someone doesn't kill me texting.
    My generalization is that old people have complained about young people forever. History shows that generally the old folks didn't know what they were talking about.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    My generalization is that old people have complained about young people forever. History shows that generally the old folks didn't know what they were talking about.
    We used to, but we forgot!

Not to argue, but throughout history wisdom was gleaned from elders. Don't know about clubs or motorcycles. Suspect the same axiom applies. Generally experience is the key factor. Generally. Now I know what my Mom/Dad was talking about.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Not to argue, but throughout history wisdom was gleaned from elders. Don't know about clubs or motorcycles. Suspect the same axiom applies. Generally experience is the key factor. Generally. Now I know what my Mom/Dad was talking about.
    When I was a kid I'd just roll my eyes when my parents told me "You'll understand when (you have kids, you have bills, you pay rent, you have to cook, etc)" And while I'd agree that my attitude morphed as I aged, I still remember the frustration of not being heard, of having my emotions completely discounted. Perception is everything...and if we gray hairs expect the younger generation to acknowledge the undeniable wisdom of what we say, it ain't gonna happen.

Compare that with military training where an expert demonstrated a skill till he or she felt I got it, then demanded that I teach that skill right back to them. Skill building without condescension. That's the approach I'm using with a young woman who just bought her first bike, a 310GS. I hope in time to bring her into the MOA fold, but if she sees her entire generation painted with the broad brush of some unflattering characteristic she'll turn her back and walk away.
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Most people like to hang out with folks of their own generation (or younger, but not older) and that is what creates a challenge for the MOA. Our club has aged and, IMHO, is one of the primary reasons young people are probably not very interested in joining. They want to hang out with their peers, not their parents. They don't want to show up at a meeting where 90% (99%?) of the attendees could be their parents.

I would really wonder whether an enterprising, young BMW rider needs to start another MOA...but one aimed at their own generation. There would be times (i.e. the National) where members of both clubs would participate, but members of both local clubs would primarily meet within their own demographic. The new club could certainly fall under the current MOA banner but operate as a separate group.

Just a thought.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

A local BMW club that had been quite active for maybe almost 40 years is starting to drastically change. It seems like just 20 years ago their rally seemed to average 150-250 depending on the weather. Lots of kids and grandkids; and programs to entertain them . Last year the weather was perfect . The attendance was about 80 and no children or grandchildren. The rally seemed pretty lifeless. The times, they are a changing.

Oh, another thing I noticed. The rally used to have maybe 10-15 vendors; last year none. The club had all the perquisite activities listed, but for all practical purposes it was a dead rally. It seemed like the club was just going through motions, by sheer habit. These comments aren't meant to be a putdown, just reasonable observations.

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    Most people like to hang out with folks of their own generation (or younger, but not older) and that is what creates a challenge for the MOA. Our club has aged and, IMHO, is one of the primary reasons young people are probably not very interested in joining. They want to hang out with their peers, not their parents. They don't want to show up at a meeting where 90% (99%?) of the attendees could be their parents.

I would really wonder whether an enterprising, young BMW rider needs to start another MOA...but one aimed at their own generation. There would be times (i.e. the National) where members of both clubs would participate, but members of both local clubs would primarily meet within their own demographic. The new club could certainly fall under the current MOA banner but operate as a separate group.

Just a thought.
    It’s a good thought, but please let me share a slightly different one.

I think that, by far and away, there are a ton of very cool and capable people in the MOA... even if they’re old. This thinking is what led to the *strategy* (hey Reece) underlying the GS Giants program. The basic ideas were to:

1) focus the offer on a style of riding that was of great interest to a wide range of members and prospective members (many of whom are young),

2) let younger people rub elbows with older people, mainly in an effort to demonstrate that not all MOA members are, um, you know....

3) put the MOA out there in social media, using the voice of our members (and not paid staff), to reach people that are not currently aware of us, and, you know... make us look cool, and last ...

4) get people to come to our national rally while giving our members the chance build something *themselves* (as opposed to the Board of Directors or special insiders) that they could be proud of and call it their own (and in the process feel like they are a part of the MOA instead of making a new MOA).

If you think about it a little, the same basic strategy could have created success for us in sport bikes, custom bikes and who-know-what-other-segment.

U-N-F-O-R-T-U-N-A-E-L-Y, this effort got looked upon by the power-that-be as something undesirable, let’s call it coloring too far outside the lines, ok?

I am not going to say any more because I think that the situation is in the process of repairing itself thanks to some members who really get it and are working hard to make whatever adjustments are required to make this work.

Let me just conclude by saying that efforts like this are not a “strategic threat” and I think that the powers that be are in the process of recognizing that.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Why millennials are not joining us.
    Has anyone addressed the cost of a BMW compared to Japanese bikes? When I was young, no one I knew had a BMW -- BMWs and Harleys were way too expensive, even used, for us to buy. Today, a young guy/gal could buy a used Suzuki SV650, a very nice bike, for next to nothing compared to almost any used BMW. I even tried to buy a BMW back when I was in the USAF in 1972, a 1972 R75/5, and couldn't afford it ($1850). I ended up with a new 1972 Yamaha XS650 for $1300, which turned out to be a great (but buzzy) bike which I road all the way across the USA, twice.

Don't get me wrong, I've loved the BMW boxers since I first saw one around 1968.
    2000 K1200RS, 2004 R1100S
    2005 K1200S, 2016 F800GT
    2018 R9T, 2018 C650GT

Quote Originally Posted by 75450 View Post
    Has anyone addressed the cost of a BMW compared to Japanese bikes? .
    The secret is *used* BMWs... they’re one of the best values in the market and a perfect opportunity for us to share our knowledge and help out first-time buyers find them, fix them and ride them... and then move on up to newer/new models.

We probably can’t get everyone with this strategy, but there are a significant number of younger buyers who want a nice bike that lasts and lasts....

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    It’s a good thought, but please let me share a slightly different one.

I think that, by far and away, there are a ton of very cool and capable people in the MOA... even if they’re old. This thinking is what led to the *strategy* (hey Reece) underlying the GS Giants program. The basic ideas were to:

1) focus the offer on a style of riding that was of great interest to a wide range of members and prospective members (many of whom are young),

2) let younger people rub elbows with older people, mainly in an effort to demonstrate that not all MOA members are, um, you know....

3) put the MOA out there in social media, using the voice of our members (and not paid staff), to reach people that are not currently aware of us, and, you know... make us look cool, and last ...

4) get people to come to our national rally while giving our members the chance build something *themselves* (as opposed to the Board of Directors or special insiders) that they could be proud of and call it their own (and in the process feel like they are a part of the MOA instead of making a new MOA).

If you think about it a little, the same basic strategy could have created success for us in sport bikes, custom bikes and who-know-what-other-segment.

U-N-F-O-R-T-U-N-A-E-L-Y, this effort got looked upon by the power-that-be as something undesirable, let’s call it coloring too far outside the lines, ok?

I am not going to say any more because I think that the situation is in the process of repairing itself thanks to some members who really get it and are working hard to make whatever adjustments are required to make this work.

Let me just conclude by saying that efforts like this are not a “strategic threat” and I think that the powers that be are in the process of recognizing that.

Ian
    Those are some good thoughts, Ian...thanks.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post

Interesting. With a few exceptions, the feeling I often get from the "special insiders" is that they hold themselves apart and above the regular members. At events they typically sit together, dine together, etc instead of mingling with us mortals. That's management, not leadership.

Contrast that with my experience as a corpsman with Marine infantry early in my career. It was raining at Camp Lejeune NC as I huddled muddy and miserable in my fighting hole (foxhole to you army types) during a pre-deployment field exercise. A Marine slid into the hole and hunkered down next to me. I looked over and saw the two stars of a major general on his collar. Thoroughly intimidating to an 18 year old right out of high school! But he engaged me in conversation, asking if there was anything I needed to take care of my Marines during the upcoming deployment, how I was feeling, how the men were doing. He even gave me a Snickers bar before moving on to the next fighting hole. He wasn't there to talk to the officers, but instead visited and thanked every single rifleman in the company. It showed every one of us that we mattered, that our contribution was appreciated.

That was leadership!

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    That was leadership!

Pete
    Indeed.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    What that Major General did was earn your respect and did not demand it.... That is leadership.
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT