• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOAners.... why millennials are not joining us.

Visian

look out!!!
1) Get offa my lawn!
2) Doesn’t want to dress like a human highlighter
3) Dislikes being judged by the cost of their farkles
4) Likes to stay up past 9pm at rallies
5) Wants to avoid constant lectures on safety, education and training
6) Rides a 650cc bike that doesn’t weigh 500+ pounds
7) Prefers looking straight ahead instead of straight up during conversations
8) Would just as soon not camp in a mixture of mud and pee
9) Gets turned of by having the “military superiority” card repeatedly played on them
10) Would rather talk 10-year-old bike tech than interfacing with Bluetooth LCD panels
11) Thinks that Depends are not required safety garb
12) Can’t spend their entire vacation on one big event
13) Rides an S1000RR
14) Rides a customized vintage airhead
15) Might be interested in getting involved, but doesn’t know “someone”
16) Doesn’t want to hang out exclusively with old people.

Could not resist. This is just too true! :ha

Ian

:hide

1) Get offa my lawn!
2) Doesn’t want to dress like a human highlighter
3) Dislikes being judged by the cost of their farkles
4) Likes to stay up past 9pm at rallies
5) Wants to avoid constant lectures on safety, education and training
6) Rides a 650cc bike that doesn’t weigh 500+ pounds
7) Prefers looking straight ahead instead of straight up during conversations
8) Would just as soon not camp in a mixture of mud and pee
9) Gets turned of by having the “military superiority” card repeatedly played on them
10) Would rather talk 10-year-old bike tech than interfacing with Bluetooth LCD panels
11) Thinks that Depends are not required safety garb
12) Can’t spend their entire vacation on one big event
13) Rides an S1000RR
14) Rides a customized vintage airhead
15) Might be interested in getting involved, but doesn’t know “someone”
16) Doesn’t want to hang out exclusively with old people.

Could not resist. This is just too true! :ha

Ian

:hide

Pretty funny Ian.....

As I watch the Uber IPO projections this morning that will propel Uber, a company that has never turned a profit, into a 9 billion dollar valuation..........
I wonder which group is rocking that concept? :rolleyes
OM

Thanks for the smile. When I read the other post yesterday I wondered if someone would offer an opposing view and you came through.

In 1981 I bought a new R65 at age 26. I was pretty much ignored by other BMW riders because, after all, we all know an R65 is not a real BMW. Some things never change :( . Nuff said.

Grouping people is never a good idea. We're one from many. At a local annual get together in the springtime, like most, few if no one ever says boo, groups mill around. However, after dismounting and getting my feet, a youngster came up and said, " Nice boots!" Too which I said, "thanx". We both smiled and moved along. She was young enough to be an X or a Y. But then I realized it doesn't matter because no one fits the grouping thing. Grouping is split'em up, which ruins clubbing, or getting together. Think about it. Two stents. FWIW.

Thanks for the smile. When I read the other post yesterday I wondered if someone would offer an opposing view and you came through.

Well, I actually laughed at the other thread... it’s important that we can laugh at each other! :nod

It was post #s 3, 4 and 5 that got me going. Life is just not that serious!

Pretty funny Ian.....

As I watch the Uber IPO projections this morning that will propel Uber, a company that has never turned a profit, into a 9 billion dollar valuation..........
I wonder which group is rocking that concept? :rolleyes
OM

Heh, I was lucky enough to get in on GOOG at $85/share, AAPL at $7, MSFT (in 1983) at $10.

Now I’m retired early and riding the wheels off my bike today in Corsica! I could afford a new BMW here, but my Honda CB500X (popular with millennials) is the perfect bike for the job! :thumb

Keep on cranking, Gary! :ha

In 1981 I bought a new R65 at age 26. I was pretty much ignored by other BMW riders because, after all, we all know an R65 is not a real BMW. Some things never change :( . Nuff said.

In 1986 my business had a good year, I was 32, and a new G/SPD was mine!

I can relate to what you are saying. Today these are cult classics (like your R65) but back then most people seemed to think they made no sense. fwiw, it was cool being the only bike in Daytona of its kind! :ha

Ian

And who cares anyway? Except for some members who are willing to increase membership at any cost! Motorcycle manufacturer statistics show that most millennials are not buying or riding motorcycles anyway (especially if you subtract non street legal machines). In your list, it seems to imply that the general membership are the bad guys and the reason membership is declining. I am tired of being considered the problem, because of my age. Most members that I know could care less what the membership numbers are. Only the folks that are interested in increasing the MOA revenue are most concerned.

And who cares anyway? Except for some members who are willing to increase membership at any cost!

Hey, feel free to sit around your tents in the mud and pee and harrumph all you want. Our membership has declined nearly 20% in a past few years and we are not backfilling them with younger people.

Gail, the first thing to know is this this was a joke, in response to another thread just like it that made fun of millennials. That was funny, too, but some of our members got their undies in a bundle, which I think illustrates our problem. If it were a generalization about anything, it was a generalization about people who walk around with their undies in a bunch, making people feel unwelcome.

The second thing to know is that without membership, we got problems, whether most people you know care or not.

The third thing to know is that without fun, we have terminal problems.

The next thing to know is that this was a “Funny generalization” not a comment about you personally... or the membership as a whole. However, I’ve sat around camp fires together long enough to know the type of people that I personally would never seek to hang out with. Frankly, they are a real buzzkill.

And that is my point... as a community we need to be cognizant of that behavior, and it starts with accepting the fact that it exists. Then we need to make the mutual commitment to eliminate it. If one were to spend any time with the younger people that we would like to have join our club and become loyal members, one would know that the behavior I poke fun at above is one of the key reasons they’re not becoming a part of us. We could offer them products and services until the cows came home and they still wouldn’t join because they don’t want to “be like that.”

I hope you understand this.

Ian

Hey, feel free to sit around your tents in the mud and pee and harrumph all you want. Our membership has declined nearly 20% in a past few years and we are not backfilling them with younger people.

Gail, the first thing to know is this this was a joke, in response to another thread just like it that made fun of millennials. That was funny, too, but some of our members got their undies in a bundle, which I think illustrates our problem. If it were a generalization about anything, it was a generalization about people who walk around with their undies in a bunch, making people feel unwelcome.

The second thing to know is that without membership, we got problems, whether most people you know care or not.

The third thing to know is that without fun, we have terminal problems.

The next thing to know is that this was a “Funny generalization” not a comment about you personally... or the membership as a whole. However, I’ve sat around camp fires together long enough to know the type of people that I personally would never seek to hang out with. Frankly, they are a real buzzkill.

And that is my point... as a community we need to be cognizant of that behavior, and it starts with accepting the fact that it exists. Then we need to make the mutual commitment to eliminate it. If one were to spend any time with the younger people that we would like to have join our club and become loyal members, one would know that the behavior I poke fun at above is one of the key reasons they’re not becoming a part of us. We could offer them products and services until the cows came home and they still wouldn’t join because they don’t want to “be like that.”

I hope you understand this.

Ian

Ian,

The first thing you need to know is that I knew it all started with a joke! The OP was spot on too, and it WAS funny! Not all young people fit this description, but the majority do. However, it is NOT their fault they are this way. Lets put the blame where it belongs, and that is with their parents or the folks that raised them. None of this matters as far as the MOA is concerned, and isn't going to change anything.

The second thing you need to know is that if the MOA membership continues to decline, so what? For me, it will not mean a thing except that I won't be sending in dues. It will not keep me from riding a motorcycle or having the like minded friends in the motorcycle family I have now. The only "problem" will be for the MOA's cash cow dying.

I too have sat around campfires with undesirable folks. What has that got to do with anything? I do not buy that as part of the reason young people are not joining. They simple are not interested in the same things our generation is. I just get tired of the blame being always placed on our age group as being old farts, and not welcoming the kids. That is BS! I'll just bet that if a young person approached any one of us and sincerely showed an interest in learning to ride or joining us (if they could look up from their phone long enough), that we would be more than happy to mentor them...I would. It isn't a good idea to group all young folks into the same category, but by the same token, don't blame the current membership for the MOA's problems. It is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! Just like in everything else. I wished the younger generation had the same interest in motorcycles that we do, but they don't and never will...things change, but quit blaming it on the wrong thing. This younger generation will have other things to offer, but it will not include what our generation wants or likes. We are all going to be dead soon, and none of this is going to matter anyway...so I'm going out and ride my motorcycle & hope someone doesn't kill me texting.

As a wise man once said, He who has ears, let him hear.

Two well reasoned but opposite points of view that both have merit. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate you both taking the time to challenge me to think about how I feel on the subject.

However, it is NOT their fault they are this way. Lets put the blame where it belongs, and that is with their parents or the folks that raised them.

Hint: “they” are not “this way.” Bless your heart (as they say in the south).... :) did you happen to notice that points 2-15 have absolutely nothing to do with age? (Well, one could argue points 4, 11 and 16)

Ian,

The first thing you need to know is that I knew it all started with a joke! The OP was spot on too, and it WAS funny! Not all young people fit this description, but the majority do. However, it is NOT their fault they are this way. Lets put the blame where it belongs, and that is with their parents or the folks that raised them. None of this matters as far as the MOA is concerned, and isn't going to change anything.

The second thing you need to know is that if the MOA membership continues to decline, so what? For me, it will not mean a thing except that I won't be sending in dues. It will not keep me from riding a motorcycle or having the like minded friends in the motorcycle family I have now. The only "problem" will be for the MOA's cash cow dying.

I too have sat around campfires with undesirable folks. What has that got to do with anything? I do not buy that as part of the reason young people are not joining. They simple are not interested in the same things our generation is. I just get tired of the blame being always placed on our age group as being old farts, and not welcoming the kids. That is BS! I'll just bet that if a young person approached any one of us and sincerely showed an interest in learning to ride or joining us (if they could look up from their phone long enough), that we would be more than happy to mentor them...I would. It isn't a good idea to group all young folks into the same category, but by the same token, don't blame the current membership for the MOA's problems. It is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! Just like in everything else. I wished the younger generation had the same interest in motorcycles that we do, but they don't and never will...things change, but quit blaming it on the wrong thing. This younger generation will have other things to offer, but it will not include what our generation wants or likes. We are all going to be dead soon, and none of this is going to matter anyway...so I'm going out and ride my motorcycle & hope someone doesn't kill me texting.

My generalization is that old people have complained about young people forever. History shows that generally the old folks didn't know what they were talking about.

Not to argue, but throughout history wisdom was gleaned from elders. Don't know about clubs or motorcycles. Suspect the same axiom applies. Generally experience is the key factor. Generally. Now I know what my Mom/Dad was talking about.

Not to argue, but throughout history wisdom was gleaned from elders. Don't know about clubs or motorcycles. Suspect the same axiom applies. Generally experience is the key factor. Generally. Now I know what my Mom/Dad was talking about.

When I was a kid I'd just roll my eyes when my parents told me "You'll understand when (you have kids, you have bills, you pay rent, you have to cook, etc)" And while I'd agree that my attitude morphed as I aged, I still remember the frustration of not being heard, of having my emotions completely discounted. Perception is everything...and if we gray hairs expect the younger generation to acknowledge the undeniable wisdom of what we say, it ain't gonna happen.

Compare that with military training where an expert demonstrated a skill till he or she felt I got it, then demanded that I teach that skill right back to them. Skill building without condescension. That's the approach I'm using with a young woman who just bought her first bike, a 310GS. I hope in time to bring her into the MOA fold, but if she sees her entire generation painted with the broad brush of some unflattering characteristic she'll turn her back and walk away.

Back