• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Louis Lake Road, WY?

PoorUB

Anyone familiar with this road? Gravel? Paved? I will be in the area in July and it looks like a nice ride, but not sure mama will appreciate 40 miles of gravel!

Anyone familiar with this road? Gravel? Paved? I will be in the area in July and it looks like a nice ride, but not sure mama will appreciate 40 miles of gravel!

Last time I came by the western terminus it was gravel, but they run campers in/out of there all the time so I don’t think it’s bad gravel. Definitely some beautiful country there, and commonly quite windy through there.

Best,
DG

At the north end near Frye Lake I can see stripes on the road on Google Maps.

At the north end near Frye Lake I can see stripes on the road on Google Maps.

Yes, the first 8 or 9 miles on the north end is paved, gravel after that as you go south. But IIRC it’s pretty good and I wouldn’t hesitate to take a street bike through there on a flower-sniffing ride. There are some unpaved WY roads, like the one from Alcova down to Seminoe Lake, that I wouldn’t touch unless on a GS. Last time I took that particular road was in a 4wd pickup and I needed it. Very scenic, tho, and paved south of the dam...

Best,
DG

I will be running from Thermopolis, WY to Farson, WY to Jackson, WY and was looking for some scenery. I will be on my RT and gravel isn't an issue if it is decent.

Anyone have any hot spots to hit along that route?

From the junction of LL Road and Hwy28 it’s a short backtrack north on 28 to the Red Canyon Overlook at (42.6033605, -108.6141832), and you’r also just across the road from the South Pass City and Atlantic City, both interesting historical spots. There’s several interesting markers at the Parting of the Ways pullout on Hwy28 as you go toward Farson, commemorating the spot where wagon trains split off for Oregon or California.

There is gas in Farson but the station is really a dump...

Best,
DG

Back