• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 R1200GS - side stand support bolt

khathaway

Hi All -

I need/want to replace the side stand support bolt on my GS, it's gotten rather wobbly over the years. However, it would seem the OEM part for mine has been super-ceded by a new part. That new part does not seem to work, does anyone know if I need to replace the internal bushing as well? The wider "collar" on the head of the new bolt seems to hit the bushing before it can engage the threads.

I have queried a dealer on this and gotten no response.

Thanks for any help on this.
Kharon

It could be that the bushing is just flared inward by the old, worn bolt. I'd replace everything you can. Bolt, bushing, and the collar bushings if your bike has them.

Have replaced mine on 09 and a few same range models. Looked at fiche (Max's) and saw no supersedes, but could be.
I replace all the parts as Anton suggests as if the pin is worn, the adjacent bushings are most likely as well.

Have replaced mine on 09 and a few same range models. Looked at fiche (Max's) and saw no supersedes, but could be.
I replace all the parts as Anton suggests as if the pin is worn, the adjacent bushings are most likely as well.

Here is a pic showing the original bolt I have (circled in red) and the new one. It is the head of the new bolt that seems to be preventing it from engaging the threads.

SideStand.png

It is also not clear from the parts fiche if I need the collar bushings or not.

Thanks all.

Here is a pic showing the original bolt I have (circled in red) and the new one. It is the head of the new bolt that seems to be preventing it from engaging the threads.

View attachment 74307

It is also not clear from the parts fiche if I need the collar bushings or not.

Thanks all.

have a look at the 05-07 model GS side stand parts...it appears to look like your parts...

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51556&rnd=07242017 46 - frame, fairing, cases...side stand

Update on this issue: Got all the new parts and upon doing the install I discovered that if you are going from the 2006-2008 style bolt to the new one, you will not need the slide bushing/bearing as the new style bolt incorporates that into the design. So, now to return that $15 part!

Side stand has much less play in it with the new parts.

Cheers!

Back