• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I graduated...

tehrlich

I've been riding with the Can Am Spyder groups for the last 4 years. Great machines in general, and I NEVER thought I would get rid of it. But, I made the mistake of looking at a BMW R NineT for fun. It was down hill (or up hill!) from there.

Since January:

I've bought a 2016 R NineT and farkled it up. Even upgraded the suspension (Wilbers) myself.
Stopped riding my beloved Spyder because of the R NineT was getting all of my miles
Started looking at K1600's.
Traded in my Spyder on Saturday for a K1600B.
Joined BMW MOA today! :)
BMW K1600B.jpgBMW R NineT.jpg.

Welcome to the MOA and to the world of BMW! Those are some nice specimens...one for eating up the long distance miles and the other bike just because!! :thumb

Welcome to BMW and the MOA.
Are the RnineT and K1600 your first motorcycles?

Welcome and congratulations. I bought my first BMW in 1990 or so, a 16 year old R90/6 in Curry, sun faded to almost white. Previously I had only had Japanese bikes. The BMW seemed odd and many things were wrong, but somehow it got in my blood. It taught me to ride smoother and more deliberate, it rewarded me with a nirvana like experience on 60-70 mph two lane roads with gentle sweeping curves. The bike came into its own in that situation, everything worked. They get in your blood.

I have a handful of Japanese bikes, and have even added a Ducati and Harley, but I have way more BMWs than all the others combined. I've only sold 3 BMWs (including the first one) and wish I had all of them back.

The Spyder is what it is. Its a tool for a certain job. I'll not bash it, but I'll say that I am a motorcycle guy and in my opinion that's not a motorcycle. For me what makes a motorcycle is the way it turns, its more akin to an airplane than a car. When you remove that dynamic you remove the reason I ride.

You have a couple really nice bikes, my guess is you are just getting started.

Welcome to BMW and the MOA.
Are the RnineT and K1600 your first motorcycles?
Thank you.

As an "adult" they are my first motorcycles. Had one as a teenager.

This is the year of the "motorcycle" for me. I don't like making new year's resolutions but instead make a commitment to learning something the entire year. Past years were videography, landscape astrophotography, landscape photography.....

So, I kind of consume myself into the topic for the year and it becomes part of my life. I got this particular idea when I spent a day at the Berber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, Alabama. I was taken back by all of the pieces, but especially the BMW /2 bikes. Started looking to buy one, and then a level head told me to get a modern one that was similar.

Bought the R Nine T in January and have already put 4500 miles on it. I started very slow in parking lots and really tried to learn the feel for it. I gradually moved my way up to faster speeds and learning timing. Plus, focusing on safety all the time. Spent three days riding all over Big Bend National Park with it for some Milky Way pictures.

My Spyder sat, and I knew someone else should enjoy it. The Spyder organizations and events are really friendly. I'm 49 years old and felt a bit "young" in the crowd. made some life-long friends, though.

A dealer gave me a good amount on my Spyder trade-in and I went right to the K1600B. That was last Saturday, and I've already gone over 500 miles! :)

Welcome and congratulations. I bought my first BMW in 1990 or so, a 16 year old R90/6 in Curry, sun faded to almost white. Previously I had only had Japanese bikes. The BMW seemed odd and many things were wrong, but somehow it got in my blood. It taught me to ride smoother and more deliberate, it rewarded me with a nirvana like experience on 60-70 mph two lane roads with gentle sweeping curves. The bike came into its own in that situation, everything worked. They get in your blood.

I have a handful of Japanese bikes, and have even added a Ducati and Harley, but I have way more BMWs than all the others combined. I've only sold 3 BMWs (including the first one) and wish I had all of them back.

The Spyder is what it is. Its a tool for a certain job. I'll not bash it, but I'll say that I am a motorcycle guy and in my opinion that's not a motorcycle. For me what makes a motorcycle is the way it turns, its more akin to an airplane than a car. When you remove that dynamic you remove the reason I ride.

You have a couple really nice bikes, my guess is you are just getting started.
I hear what you are saying. A Spyder is much more like a motorcycle than the Slingshot or Vanderhall. But, I "get your drift." It is a VERY powerful machine that is excellent for two up touring. Very smooth with car-size tires, but it ain't like two wheels, and that's what I've discovered over the last 5 months! :)

So, I've been very busy since January getting this two-wheel thing down again... And because I live in Austin, Texas, I couldn't miss the MotoGP. I had never been to a professional motorcycle race, and I spent three days there. Had great seats and bought a paddock pass. I even got to RIDE the Circuit of the Americas track twice!!

Marquez going through Turn 15. He was 3 seconds ahead when he crashed at Turn 12. I witnessed the entire event.
MotoGP Marquez Turn 15 Composite by Todd Ehrlich, on Flickr

You have picked a couple of nice bikes.....for all occasions. Good luck with them.

Nice job with the photography as well.

Enjoy the forum.

Gary

Back