• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Joining the wet heads! Got a 2016 R1200RT

natrab

Well, I've bought my 4th RT this last weekend and I'm finally water cooled! I've been drooling over the 1250s coming out, but I'm returning to school for a couple years and it's just not in the budget. I found quite a bargain on a used 2016 RT with only 12k miles and jumped on it. Coming from my camhead, it's a subtle, but nice upgrade. Slightly more power all around, smoother engine, feels a little heftier, but steering is still quick. Clutch feel is a little different, but I'll get used to it. Now begins my journey of farkling it up and learning the maintenance routines. Already ordered new levers, bar risers, and Sargent seat. Clearwaters will probably be next.

Anyways, I still love my "old" RT. It's still in the family as my wife has fallen in love with it and will be using it to commute (88,000 miles on it and it just got a new clutch, so it's good to go!). I'm excited about this new bike and can't wait to take it out on some longer trips!

i-TJWMNxf-X2.jpg

And alongside the old RT:

i-z2ZnfTK-X2.jpg

Its a beaut!!!

Welcome aboard!!!

How is that low seat you got there?

Thanks! The seat is absolutely terrible! For me, that is. My inseam is short, but I'm chunky and need to stretch my legs out in any way possible (and I don't like to lower the pegs because of ground clearance issues). The low seat will be for sale as soon as my Sargent arrives.

Thanks! The seat is absolutely terrible! For me, that is. My inseam is short, but I'm chunky and need to stretch my legs out in any way possible (and I don't like to lower the pegs because of ground clearance issues). The low seat will be for sale as soon as my Sargent arrives.

You 'll like the Sarge seat.

I made the mistake to buy an RT once with a low seat. It felt great while I was more than flat-footing in the show room, but by the time I got to half way down (South) to OR from Seattle , I had to stop at a Cyclegear and buy a seat cushion to make it further...my arses were numb and sore at the same time.

If you buy driving lights, BMW now has a new larger version of the earlier driving lights. Be sure to get those instead.

if you got any question pop them on the forum...lots of good dudes around here and some of them even know what they are talking about....ha!!!!

Welcome to the Wetheads. I transitioned from a Hexhead. Both had low seats. The low seat on the Hexhead was fine. I was able to ride 600 to 800 miles a day without any issues. I bought my Wethead in Florida and rode it home to Michigan. I knew the seat had to go within the first 300 miles. I loved that it was about an inch lower than the Hexhead seat, which allowed me to get flat footed, but it felt like I was sitting on a 2X4. I just picked up a low Sergeant seat and it is a big improvement. Unfortunately, it is about an 3/4 of an inch higher and puts me back on my toes at a stop.

Congrats on your new RT.
I noticed the replaceable rubber bumper is missing from the cylinder head cover.
You can buy replacements for $21.

Part# 77 14 8 535 748 EDGE GUARD STRIP, RIGHT $20.78

Wethead gripes and grins

Got my 2016 last sept. First BMW, and there is definitely some adjusting to do. I've always ridden Japanese (if you don't count my old BSA), and they are DIFFERENT. Got to admit, when I first got it I HATED it, and thought I had made a huge expensive mistake. My ST1300 was so much smoother and more comfortable; she carried me close to 100k and never even burped - I still miss her. But Klaus and I ( I decided to call him Klaus- seems right for a big German) are beginning to come to terms. New bigger windshield, new Mayer seat, bar risers all helped. I love the handling - feels like i could drag the handlebars if I wanted to! -just tips in and around we go! The luggage system and capacity is fantastic, the heated seat and grips are very nice, and cruise control is excellent. Power is good, if not nearly as smooth as the Honda, but I like the sound; you roll it on, you just get a THROB and away you go! A little ricky-ticky at idle, but then my ST sounded either like a Hoover or the Jetsons car, so I guess it's tradeoff. Still find the location of the kickstand really stupid, and the gearbox is a bit - well, actually a lot clunky compared to the Japanese, but I seem to be adjusting to it. One real annoyance is that the backside of the handlebars create a glare that make it hard to read the dashboard. I'm gradually learning my way around the whiz wheel and some (but by no means all) of the various modes, etc. in the electronics suite - not quite intuitive, at least at first. Maybe I'm old, but I really would prefer individual buttons rather than take my eyes off the road to find the heated grips... The tire valve location is brilliant! I'm really glad my old Garmin 665 clips right in and powers up, even if it won't integrate - I flat refuse to spend $1000 to buy essentially the same thing that says BMW on it.

I've done two 4 corners tours of about 10k each on the ST as well as a number of Three Flags and some Iron butt rides - I've yet to see how the BMW handles this sort of thing, but Klaus and i will hit the road soon and we'll find out!

Congrats on your new RT.
I noticed the replaceable rubber bumper is missing from the cylinder head cover.
You can buy replacements for $21.

Part# 77 14 8 535 748 EDGE GUARD STRIP, RIGHT $20.78

I just figured that out and ordered it a couple days ago. My bike came pre-dropped on the right side with just a couple of minor scratches. Must have lost the rubber bumper as well. Good catch though!

Welcome to the Wet side! Congrats on the new scoot and good luck with the schooling.

I see you erased your original post here expounding on your experience of low seat. I thought it was interesting.

Its the perpetual dilemma of aftermarket seat: low seats are shallow and uncomfortably hard. Higher seats got more material and are more comfortable.

The Russell Day Long is without doubt one of the most comfy butt-huggers of all, but you are looking at one-half to two inches higher sitting position, which for the vertical-challenged can be unbearable at stops. I had folks argue with me about that speculative height increase, but that is what Jan from Russell seat has told me and the reason why I use Sargent instead.

It doesn't matter who makes a low seat for you, count on it being hard as a rock and a butt-numbing gadget...but you will reach the ground better.

I've never been a fan of low seats as they tend to decrease your knee and hip angle to the pegs. The RT is already a relatively compact leg setup and my legs get more fatigued riding it than my GS for example. I only have a 29" inseam, but tend to always use stock height seats in the high position on most beemers as it keeps my legs more comfortable while riding. Yes, on my GS, this means I am on my toes and if I'm stopped for any length of time I need to slide my but off to one side to get the ball of my foot more solidly planted. If I had a bike any taller than my GS, I think lowering it slightly would be my only option.

I've never been a fan of low seats as they tend to decrease your knee and hip angle to the pegs. The RT is already a relatively compact leg setup and my legs get more fatigued riding it than my GS for example. I only have a 29" inseam, but tend to always use stock height seats in the high position on most beemers as it keeps my legs more comfortable while riding. Yes, on my GS, this means I am on my toes and if I'm stopped for any length of time I need to slide my but off to one side to get the ball of my foot more solidly planted. If I had a bike any taller than my GS, I think lowering it slightly would be my only option.

Yea, I think I video taped you at a stop sign. Is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YId9Pr_RlIo

:lol:lol:lol

I see you erased your original post here expounding on your experience of low seat. I thought it was interesting.

Its the perpetual dilemma of aftermarket seat: low seats are shallow and uncomfortably hard. Higher seats got more material and are more comfortable.

The Russell Day Long is without doubt one of the most comfy butt-huggers of all, but you are looking at one-half to two inches higher sitting position, which for the vertical-challenged can be unbearable at stops. I had folks argue with me about that speculative height increase, but that is what Jan from Russell seat has told me and the reason why I use Sargent instead.

It doesn't matter who makes a low seat for you, count on it being hard as a rock and a butt-numbing gadget...but you will reach the ground better.

Mmmm...I don't believe that was me. I don't use or need a low seat and I don't recall posting anything about a low seat.

Back