Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: Base Price 2019 BMW R1250RT

  1. #16
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,794
    It's been my experience that when the new season starts and with a new model rollout, the bikes are pretty well optioned up. I have always preferred the fully optioned model, so I try to buy at the beginning of the new model sales because the choices get pretty sparse toward the end of the season.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  2. #17
    One reason you can not find a base RT is pretty much everyone wants all the gadgets. Sure, there are a few riders that like the stripped model, but by far the fully farkled model is what sells. If the base model was what people were asking for it would be the model every dealer had on the floor. Dealers don't like to stock bikes that don't sell. The buying public dictates what the dealer sells.

    When I bought my 2018 RT I wanted the fully loaded model. I love the keyless ride, electric locks, cruise, heat.....

  3. #18
    BMW does not provide base models to the US unless by special order...so I been told by dealerships
    "...whether is clear to you or not, the universe is unfolding as it should"

  4. #19
    Registered User jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Twin Lakes, WI
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    One reason you can not find a base RT is pretty much everyone wants all the gadgets. ...

    .....
    I’m pretty sure it is because the profit margin on farkles, particularly electronic gadgetry, is very high. It’s $5000 for some wiring and a chip. Probably one guy comes up with the design.
    Turn on, tune in and ride off

  5. #20
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,577
    It is interesting to look at the BMW Motorrad website for the UK and the diversity of the RT models which can be ordered there. See: https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/mo...loverview.html
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    Watching the sunrise outdoors statistically increases your odds of having a good day. And needing a nap after lunch.

  6. #21
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by Wethead View Post
    I could not get a darn key RT. I do not like these keyless gadgets.

    When I was touring on my GT, the gas cap did not release very well a couple of times and it used to freak me out. How stupid, or how lazy are we getting that we have to spare ourselves the trouble of inserting a freaking key in a hole.

    My friend has a truck that he starts while he is leaving a building, so that its already running when he gets inside...I guess!

    Why don't we just lay on a sofa and have a robot come by and shove food into our mouths?
    Yep ... my 2016 RT did not have Keyless or Central Locking and I was VERY happy!

    But the 2018 I bought last month has Keyless as well as TFT. Both are items I would prefer to skip but most all are now keyless so I guess we just need to get used to it. But honestly I see NO benefit to Keyless on the GS!
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  7. #22
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    I ordered my '16 w/o the audio package for $1500. No way I wanted keyless ignition, so that went out the window as well. I detested the bulbous chrome muffler, so didn't buy that either. I did want Ride Modes, Dynamic ESA, HillStart, TPM, heated grips/seat, and ended up saving enough to add Nav V for the GPS Prep, and a few other necessities. I skipped SAP, but have no regrets on that gimmick! I'm rather value-focused so the idea of updating to new model every 2 years seems insane to me! I'll keep my '16 likely until I'm done riding, or until a true middle/light-weight (500-525lbs) luxury sport tourer debuts. No one makes this model yet, and yet lots of aging riders would love to have everything offered by RT/K bikes in terms of tech & features, yet in a lighter form factor. I'm certain whatever brand figures this out and does it really well will sell ample units to justify adding it to the lineup. P:W comparable to RTW, 520lbs, electric full-height screen, Dynamic ESA, SAP, ABS Pro, heated grips/seat, TPM, etc.
    Up until last year it was easy for the dealer to order you al'a carte and pick and choose exactly what you wanted or did not want. For 2019 that changed and most are now one of a few packages. So while you MAY be able to skip keyless or radio in doing so you will also be skipping other features in that "package" that you DO want. Very annoying for sure.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  8. #23
    Registered User jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Twin Lakes, WI
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by gsinnc View Post
    ... you will also be skipping other features in that "package" that you DO want. Very annoying for sure.

    Yes indeed. While Cruise Control, Heated Seats or Heated High Seat and Heated Handlebars are all must haves, if it would save thousands I would skip much of the rest. Maybe it wouldn't save thousands, I don't know for sure but I get the feeling that you pay $2000 for a cheap radio.
    Turn on, tune in and ride off

  9. #24
    Registered User cap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    75

    Delayed Gratification

    We all want what we want.

    If you have the patience to wait a few years while riding your (horrible, inferior) previous model, then you will be able to pick up a lightly used R1250 for a heavily depreciated price. At which point, you will get all those costly options for almost nothing. I know, as my wife is always telling me, patience is over-rated. But that is how I do it.

    Cap

  10. #25
    Registered User RYD1WD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    290
    Please let me set a few facts straight here re: what, why and how...

    In previous years, we (dealers) had more flexibility in how we could configure pre-production allocations - up to 4-5 package combinations, and many options a la carte. For example: I always built my RT inventory in three different flavors, including one that didn't include on-board audio but retained all of the differentiating to the ground and comfort tech (= 30% of my RT sales).

    In 2019 we have far less flexibility across the product line, for the sake of what I assume has to do with streamlining manufacturing and managing cost/pricing... 2 key examples:
    - I have to build GS's with one of two primary packages, and the one of those that doesn't include everything doesn't negate the features folks most commonly want to shed (keyless) while it does shed things most want to keep (ride modes) - and I can't add them back in, and your trade value will take a disproportionate hit because dealers simply have little to no market for such builds... I refer to this as the "decaf skinny latte build" (why bother?).
    - I can only order RT's one way, all or nothing... or... all + $3K in upgraded wheels and paint.

    It's a bit frustrating for some of us (I'll even dare say proportionally more so for dealers, than consumers) - but we're also all pretty spoiled in that we've become accustomed to having far more options and flexibility, that other products have never offered. So, does that make the glass half full, or half empty?
    Greg North - Sales & Marketing Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte & Greensboro
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for whom motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it.

  11. #26
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    5,944
    Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    Please let me set a few facts straight here re: what, why and how...

    In previous years, we (dealers) had more flexibility in how we could configure pre-production allocations - up to 4-5 package combinations, and many options a la carte. For example: I always built my RT inventory in three different flavors, including one that didn't include on-board audio but retained all of the differentiating to the ground and comfort tech (= 30% of my RT sales).

    In 2019 we have far less flexibility across the product line, for the sake of what I assume has to do with streamlining manufacturing and managing cost/pricing... 2 key examples:
    - I have to build GS's with one of two primary packages, and the one of those that doesn't include everything doesn't negate the features folks most commonly want to shed (keyless) while it does shed things most want to keep (ride modes) - and I can't add them back in, and your trade value will take a disproportionate hit because dealers simply have little to no market for such builds... I refer to this as the "decaf skinny latte build" (why bother?).
    - I can only order RT's one way, all or nothing... or... all + $3K in upgraded wheels and paint.

    It's a bit frustrating for some of us (I'll even dare say proportionally more so for dealers, than consumers) - but we're also all pretty spoiled in that we've become accustomed to having far more options and flexibility, that other products have never offered. So, does that make the glass half full, or half empty?
    Good info
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  12. #27
    K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Urbana, IL
    Posts
    3,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Good info
    I have it easy and like the bike with every option.
    My greatest fear is that the every option bikes may be sold out when I'm ready for a new one. So far I've been lucky, but my bike before this one did not have TPS and that was quite a disappointment .
    I like the keyless option, and don't see why it is an issue. As for home repairs issues, it's pretty hopeless now except for some of the mechanicals.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

  13. #28
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    I have it easy and like the bike with every option.
    My greatest fear is that the every option bikes may be sold out when I'm ready for a new one. So far I've been lucky, but my bike before this one did not have TPS and that was quite a disappointment .
    I like the keyless option, and don't see why it is an issue. As for home repairs issues, it's pretty hopeless now except for some of the mechanicals.
    HA! I too have it easy .... BMW Charlotte is my dealer and always provide honest info as to what is or is not possible.

    Regarding the Keyless .... while it is not really an "issue" to me it serves no purpose, especially on the GS! My new 2018 GS has keyless which now allows me to have to carry a bulky fob and pay $300 if I want an extra. (yeah I know I can get an extra eKey thingy but I like a spare real key) In addition I have to periodically replace the battery in the fob. I just do not see the benefit.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  14. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Ringwood NJ
    Posts
    17
    It sucks

Similar Threads

  1. Review of the 2019 R1250RT
    By bmwdean in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-01-2019, 08:07 PM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-18-2019, 01:52 PM
  3. 2020 R1250rt
    By jimbem in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-03-2019, 12:29 AM
  4. 2019 R1250RT and GS USA Rider Manuals
    By ExGMan in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2018, 03:11 AM
  5. 2019 R1250rt?
    By T-foiler in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-13-2018, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •