• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Base Price 2019 BMW R1250RT

I could not get a darn key RT. I do not like these keyless gadgets.

When I was touring on my GT, the gas cap did not release very well a couple of times and it used to freak me out. How stupid, or how lazy are we getting that we have to spare ourselves the trouble of inserting a freaking key in a hole.

My friend has a truck that he starts while he is leaving a building, so that its already running when he gets inside...I guess!

Why don't we just lay on a sofa and have a robot come by and shove food into our mouths?

Yep ... my 2016 RT did not have Keyless or Central Locking and I was VERY happy!

But the 2018 I bought last month has Keyless as well as TFT. Both are items I would prefer to skip but most all are now keyless so I guess we just need to get used to it. But honestly I see NO benefit to Keyless on the GS!

I ordered my '16 w/o the audio package for $1500. No way I wanted keyless ignition, so that went out the window as well. I detested the bulbous chrome muffler, so didn't buy that either. I did want Ride Modes, Dynamic ESA, HillStart, TPM, heated grips/seat, and ended up saving enough to add Nav V for the GPS Prep, and a few other necessities. I skipped SAP, but have no regrets on that gimmick! I'm rather value-focused so the idea of updating to new model every 2 years seems insane to me! I'll keep my '16 likely until I'm done riding, or until a true middle/light-weight (500-525lbs) luxury sport tourer debuts. No one makes this model yet, and yet lots of aging riders would love to have everything offered by RT/K bikes in terms of tech & features, yet in a lighter form factor. I'm certain whatever brand figures this out and does it really well will sell ample units to justify adding it to the lineup. P:W comparable to RTW, 520lbs, electric full-height screen, Dynamic ESA, SAP, ABS Pro, heated grips/seat, TPM, etc.

Up until last year it was easy for the dealer to order you al'a carte and pick and choose exactly what you wanted or did not want. For 2019 that changed and most are now one of a few packages. So while you MAY be able to skip keyless or radio in doing so you will also be skipping other features in that "package" that you DO want. Very annoying for sure.

... you will also be skipping other features in that "package" that you DO want. Very annoying for sure.

Yes indeed. While Cruise Control, Heated Seats or Heated High Seat and Heated Handlebars are all must haves, if it would save thousands I would skip much of the rest. Maybe it wouldn't save thousands, I don't know for sure but I get the feeling that you pay $2000 for a cheap radio.

Delayed Gratification

We all want what we want.

If you have the patience to wait a few years while riding your (horrible, inferior) previous model, then you will be able to pick up a lightly used R1250 for a heavily depreciated price. At which point, you will get all those costly options for almost nothing. I know, as my wife is always telling me, patience is over-rated. But that is how I do it.

Cap

Please let me set a few facts straight here re: what, why and how...

In previous years, we (dealers) had more flexibility in how we could configure pre-production allocations - up to 4-5 package combinations, and many options a la carte. For example: I always built my RT inventory in three different flavors, including one that didn't include on-board audio but retained all of the differentiating to the ground and comfort tech (= 30% of my RT sales).

In 2019 we have far less flexibility across the product line, for the sake of what I assume has to do with streamlining manufacturing and managing cost/pricing... 2 key examples:
- I have to build GS's with one of two primary packages, and the one of those that doesn't include everything doesn't negate the features folks most commonly want to shed (keyless) while it does shed things most want to keep (ride modes) - and I can't add them back in, and your trade value will take a disproportionate hit because dealers simply have little to no market for such builds... I refer to this as the "decaf skinny latte build" (why bother?).
- I can only order RT's one way, all or nothing... or... all + $3K in upgraded wheels and paint. :banghead

It's a bit frustrating for some of us (I'll even dare say proportionally more so for dealers, than consumers) - but we're also all pretty spoiled in that we've become accustomed to having far more options and flexibility, that other products have never offered. So, does that make the glass half full, or half empty?

Please let me set a few facts straight here re: what, why and how...

In previous years, we (dealers) had more flexibility in how we could configure pre-production allocations - up to 4-5 package combinations, and many options a la carte. For example: I always built my RT inventory in three different flavors, including one that didn't include on-board audio but retained all of the differentiating to the ground and comfort tech (= 30% of my RT sales).

In 2019 we have far less flexibility across the product line, for the sake of what I assume has to do with streamlining manufacturing and managing cost/pricing... 2 key examples:
- I have to build GS's with one of two primary packages, and the one of those that doesn't include everything doesn't negate the features folks most commonly want to shed (keyless) while it does shed things most want to keep (ride modes) - and I can't add them back in, and your trade value will take a disproportionate hit because dealers simply have little to no market for such builds... I refer to this as the "decaf skinny latte build" (why bother?).
- I can only order RT's one way, all or nothing... or... all + $3K in upgraded wheels and paint. :banghead

It's a bit frustrating for some of us (I'll even dare say proportionally more so for dealers, than consumers) - but we're also all pretty spoiled in that we've become accustomed to having far more options and flexibility, that other products have never offered. So, does that make the glass half full, or half empty?

Good info :thumb

Good info :thumb

I have it easy and like the bike with every option.
My greatest fear is that the every option bikes may be sold out when I'm ready for a new one. So far I've been lucky, but my bike before this one did not have TPS and that was quite a disappointment :).
I like the keyless option, and don't see why it is an issue. As for home repairs issues, it's pretty hopeless now except for some of the mechanicals.

I have it easy and like the bike with every option.
My greatest fear is that the every option bikes may be sold out when I'm ready for a new one. So far I've been lucky, but my bike before this one did not have TPS and that was quite a disappointment :).
I like the keyless option, and don't see why it is an issue. As for home repairs issues, it's pretty hopeless now except for some of the mechanicals.

HA! I too have it easy .... BMW Charlotte is my dealer and always provide honest info as to what is or is not possible.

Regarding the Keyless .... while it is not really an "issue" to me it serves no purpose, especially on the GS! My new 2018 GS has keyless which now allows me to have to carry a bulky fob and pay $300 if I want an extra. (yeah I know I can get an extra eKey thingy but I like a spare real key) In addition I have to periodically replace the battery in the fob. I just do not see the benefit.

Back