• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Base Price 2019 BMW R1250RT

jamo

Various sites - BMW, Top Speed - quote a base price for the R1250RT as being $18,645. But I don't think you can buy just a base model, can you? I think you have to add the package for over $5000. I mean, that's a very misleading statement that the base price is $18,645 knowing full well that you can't buy a base model. Excuse me if I'm wrong. I tried the configurator tool from Build Your Own. It would not let me configure a base model.

Call a dealer and ask. If they will do it, it has been my experience that it will require a hefty deposit. Most vehicles come loaded nowadays. You pay more upfront but receive more back in trade or at resale and are a lot easier to resell or trade.
OM

I probably wouldn't trade up, not at this point anyway. 14% more torque is tempting, especially if it's low down, but I'd like to hear whether others think it's worth the dosh.

All I ever saw was $24,940 MSRP, from web sites of the 3 BMW dealers in the Atlanta area.

When I was ready to purchase a new RT, I posted a query on some insight for dealing with sales folks at the dealer.

Check this thread. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?93806-Options-info-for-ordering-2019-R1250RT-at-dealer There was a ton of useful information that put me more at ease when it came options. The bottom line is, BMW built 2019 R11250RT's well equipped. The only issue is sorting through the color you want, which is also associated with a different style, as they call it.

As for the power, you will NOT be disappointed. 4000 RPM is the gateway to more power. I rode an 08' RT a few times many years ago, and compared to my cruiser, it was very strong, but the Shift Cam RT is years ahead (pun intended) of the power curve.

Call a dealer and ask. If they will do it, it has been my experience that it will require a hefty deposit. Most vehicles come loaded nowadays. You pay more upfront but receive more back in trade or at resale and are a lot easier to resell or trade.
OM

That was my original concern on buying a bike that I wanted, but in reality, you are buying a bike that the dealer wants you to trade in later. That was one of the points from my post that I referenced above.

My story:
Because I don't like radios nor antenna on my bike, I chose an RT without a radio when I bought a 2016 a while back.

Well, I kept complaining that the shift assist did not work well and the tranny cluncked quite a bit...to find out later that I had bought the one that comes without the shift assist, radio and some other gadget (think it was the hill-stop thingie).

So, when I bought my 2018, I made sure I ordered one without a radio, but with all the other goodies.

The moral of the story is make sure you know which farkles you are getting before dispatching your money.

Someone told me all the RT that come to the US are the 'full package'.

My story:
Because I don't like radios nor antenna on my bike, I chose an RT without a radio when I bought a 2016 a while back.

Well, I kept complaining that the shift assist did not work well and the tranny cluncked quite a bit...to find out later that I had bought the one that comes without the shift assist, radio and some other gadget (think it was the hill-stop thingie).

So, when I bought my 2018, I made sure I ordered one without a radio, but with all the other goodies.

The moral of the story is make sure you know which farkles you are getting before dispatching your money.

Someone told me all the RT that come to the US are the 'full package'.

I ordered my '16 w/o the audio package for $1500. No way I wanted keyless ignition, so that went out the window as well. I detested the bulbous chrome muffler, so didn't buy that either. I did want Ride Modes, Dynamic ESA, HillStart, TPM, heated grips/seat, and ended up saving enough to add Nav V for the GPS Prep, and a few other necessities. I skipped SAP, but have no regrets on that gimmick! I'm rather value-focused so the idea of updating to new model every 2 years seems insane to me! I'll keep my '16 likely until I'm done riding, or until a true middle/light-weight (500-525lbs) luxury sport tourer debuts. No one makes this model yet, and yet lots of aging riders would love to have everything offered by RT/K bikes in terms of tech & features, yet in a lighter form factor. I'm certain whatever brand figures this out and does it really well will sell ample units to justify adding it to the lineup. P:W comparable to RTW, 520lbs, electric full-height screen, Dynamic ESA, SAP, ABS Pro, heated grips/seat, TPM, etc.

... a true middle/light-weight (500-525lbs) luxury sport tourer debuts. No one makes this model yet, and yet lots of aging riders would love to have everything offered by RT/K bikes in terms of tech & features, yet in a lighter form factor. ...

What about that F850GT thingy?

Edit: Never mind. I guess they don't make that anymore.

Last edited:
I ordered my '16 w/o the audio package for $1500. No way I wanted keyless ignition, so that went out the window as well. I detested the bulbous chrome muffler, so didn't buy that either. I did want Ride Modes, Dynamic ESA, HillStart, TPM, heated grips/seat, and ended up saving enough to add Nav V for the GPS Prep, and a few other necessities. I skipped SAP, but have no regrets on that gimmick! I'm rather value-focused so the idea of updating to new model every 2 years seems insane to me! I'll keep my '16 likely until I'm done riding, or until a true middle/light-weight (500-525lbs) luxury sport tourer debuts. No one makes this model yet, and yet lots of aging riders would love to have everything offered by RT/K bikes in terms of tech & features, yet in a lighter form factor. I'm certain whatever brand figures this out and does it really well will sell ample units to justify adding it to the lineup. P:W comparable to RTW, 520lbs, electric full-height screen, Dynamic ESA, SAP, ABS Pro, heated grips/seat, TPM, etc.

I could not get a darn key RT. I do not like these keyless gadgets.

When I was touring on my GT, the gas cap did not release very well a couple of times and it used to freak me out. How stupid, or how lazy are we getting that we have to spare ourselves the trouble of inserting a freaking key in a hole.

My friend has a truck that he starts while he is leaving a building, so that its already running when he gets inside...I guess!

Why don't we just lay on a sofa and have a robot come by and shove food into our mouths?

... I do not like these keyless gadgets.

... just lay on a sofa ... ?

My new-to-me RT doesn't have the key-less feature. My Harley, the one I shouldn't have traded in but did, did have that feature. It was good. I miss it. You get used to it.

My new-to-me RT doesn't have the key-less feature. My Harley, the one I shouldn't have traded in but did, did have that feature. It was good. I miss it. You get used to it.

You got me curious: Why shouldn't you have traded the Harley? Which model was it? Did you traded it for the RT?

The good thing about the keyless on the RT is that it works better than it did on the GT at the beginning--yea, I am used to it by now.

You got me curious: Why shouldn't you have traded the Harley? Which model was it? Did you traded it for the RT?

The good thing about the keyless on the RT is that it works better than it did on the GT at the beginning--yea, I am used to it by now.

There's another thread about that I started not too far down the list. Some very patient posters would lose it if I got into it again.

I so far haven't seen any base price RTs around here (and we have 6 dealerships in my area). Seems they are all pushing the top models that run about 25k. I've been itching to move to a wethead for a while now, but I couldn't justify that price (yet at least. The 100th anniversary RT will likely be my next bike). So I found a used '16 RT with 12k miles on it and I'm quite satisfied. Frankly, I like the little tech features so long as they work. The only thing my new bike doesn't have is central locking, which would have also been nice. I also wish they kept independent buttons for the grip/seat warmers and turning off traction control.

There's another thread about that I started not too far down the list. Some very patient posters would lose it if I got into it again.

I read your thread:

I give you the cheap turn signal eval.

...but if half the weight, more tech and power did not do it, then perhaps you are looking for something you need to design yourself.

I empathize with you in that, once I rented an Electra Glide and I did not want to return it. The renting shop wanted too much money and that's why I did not get it.

There are ways to make the RT comfy: Get yaself a Russell Day Long seat, and mount hwy pegs on something. There are gadgets to move the bars back.

I think, if I read between the lines, you major beef is with the sales person/shop. You paid way too much money, you should have test ridden the bike before you bought it. Coming from a huge Harley to a sportstouring bike is a hefty adjustment.

If you get a chance to try-out a Triumph Trophy. I thought they were comfortable though full of electronic quirks.

Good luck bro. I feel your pain: getting rid of a motorcycle you liked a lot for one you don't like that much. But hey, what do we work for: get in there and patronize another shop and put out 35k for a Milwakee...hehehehihihi

It's been my experience that when the new season starts and with a new model rollout, the bikes are pretty well optioned up. I have always preferred the fully optioned model, so I try to buy at the beginning of the new model sales because the choices get pretty sparse toward the end of the season.

One reason you can not find a base RT is pretty much everyone wants all the gadgets. Sure, there are a few riders that like the stripped model, but by far the fully farkled model is what sells. If the base model was what people were asking for it would be the model every dealer had on the floor. Dealers don't like to stock bikes that don't sell. The buying public dictates what the dealer sells.

When I bought my 2018 RT I wanted the fully loaded model. I love the keyless ride, electric locks, cruise, heat...…..

One reason you can not find a base RT is pretty much everyone wants all the gadgets. ...

I’m pretty sure it is because the profit margin on farkles, particularly electronic gadgetry, is very high. It’s $5000 for some wiring and a chip. Probably one guy comes up with the design.

Back