Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with your helmet?

Hooligan

What do you do with your helmet?

This is my first MOA, so pardon the silly Q.
    When you ride up and park what do you do with your helmet? Leave it on your bike? My daughter is going to be with me, and two helmets?
    Or does one walk aroud with ot. That would be not only painful but an accident waiting to happen.

Hang them on your mirrors, turn signals or foot pegs depending on what your riding.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 107k miles
    2013 TW200
    2018 Yamaha X-MAX

I leave mine on the bike with the rest of my gear.
    Never had an issue.

Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Ask the people when you sign in where to park at, usually next to your tent. If you park inside the security gate[fence] put your helmets in your tent or in a trunk or saddle bag. Outside the fence area take it with you. Have a good time.

My wife and I wear modular helmets and I carry a better bicycle chain lock to lock the helmets to the passenger grab bar if we leave the helmets on the bike for any length of time. Or we stuff them in the panniers on my RT if they are empty.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    My wife and I wear modular helmets and I carry a better bicycle chain lock to lock the helmets to the passenger grab bar if we leave the helmets on the bike for any length of time. Or we stuff them in the panniers on my RT if they are empty.
    Good practice at the Stop and Rob. Not needed at the rally grounds.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thank You

Thank you Paul for all your help you do.

Hooligan
    Thanks for ll the replies.
    Yes, having never been there before, was worried and had no idea and it is a fairly new and shiny Schuberth.
    I guess I will bring a small deterrent like described above. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Good practice at the Stop and Rob. Not needed at the rally grounds.
    Hey, I get it, but if the OP wants to secure his helmet to ease his mind who am I to criticize.

I leave my helmet unattended often, more often than I should. If leaving the bike for more than a few minutes I will generally secure it. I just run a HJC, but add the headset and it gets to be a $450 loss if it disappears, plus the hassle of the remainder of the trip without a helmet and intecom or finding a replacement so it is more than just the expense involved.

61SJfP9iq4L._SY679_.jpg

WHEN I'm concerned about an area that I'm parking the bike in.....

I always keep one of these in my bike jacket pocket. Plenty of cable to run it through one sleeve of the jacket, through the helmet and through the handlebars. Helmet stays on the mirror, jacket slung over shield and dash to cover my other goodies. It's not super secure but it's enough to keep most people honest.

Many, I have never worried about our gear at a National.
    This year I may lock our helmets or put a bike cover on.
    Like you we will use the day parking area.
    We carry a thin cable with a loop on each each end small lock.
    This keeps the lazy thief away
    If you feel the need, you could vet a ca .e and lock at Walmzrt.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I was at one of the nationals, I think the one in Lima, Oh. . I was wondering around looking at all the bikes and riders; just having a big time. Seen a couple get on their bike; something did'nt seem right. I took one step toward them and yelled STOP as loud as I could and waving my arms. I heard a loud bang as the bike skidded to a violent stop. The rider had attached a lock to the front wheel; via a disc brake lock. He totally destroyed his front fender, maybe more damage. He did'nt need to lock his bike; no more than he needed to lock up his helmet. Sad.

My wife and I are going to lock our helmets. With the intercoms they are about $1k each. That also goes for our Helite vests. Why take the risks when it only takes a few seconds to run a cable through them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is a pet peeve of mine....my $25,000 BMW does not have a helmet lock....my 40 year Japanese bikes have helmet locks. Tell me....who's bright idea was it to get rid of helmet locks???

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorf View Post
    This is a pet peeve of mine....my $25,000 BMW does not have a helmet lock....my 40 year Japanese bikes have helmet locks. Tell me....who's bright idea was it to get rid of helmet locks???
    My guess is that the helmet locks on the Japanese bikes are rather generic and “D” ring based. Most BMW riders I see are wearing helmets with different fastening systems.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200