• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 F800ST with Remus exhaust - question

I'm looking at a 2007 F800ST with a Remus exhaust (slip-on muffler?) and I need to know how loud this bike will be. I don't like loud exhaust systems on bikes -- I know that is contrary to what most motorcyclists want, . . . but that's me. I could put up with a some loudness though, as long as it wasn't obnoxiously loud straight-pipe noise.

Here's a pic of the exhaust:

2007-BMW-F800ST-1.jpg

Last edited:
Cannot answer your specific question, but over the years I have found ALL after-market pipes are too loud for me. I have tried several different brands on different bikes, but always gone back to OEM pipes. The only benefit I found from after-market pipes is a small reduction in weight.

Good luck.

Cannot answer your specific question, but over the years I have found ALL after-market pipes are too loud for me. I have tried several different brands on different bikes, but always gone back to OEM pipes. The only benefit I found from after-market pipes is a small reduction in weight.

Good luck.
Yes, that's my general feeling too -- about after-market mufflers. I know I'm in the minority but it's good to know that there are others out there that feel similarly about noise. All my bikes have stock exhaust.

Yes, that's my general feeling too -- about after-market mufflers. I know I'm in the minority but it's good to know that there are others out there that feel similarly about noise. All my bikes have stock exhaust.

I don't think you are in the minority among BMW riders. I would be surprised if 10% of newish BMWs have aftermarket exhaust. Certainly after bikes reach a certain age when the OEM exhaust has rotted away then folks buy what they can find.

As for the newer bikes with solid undamaged OEM exhaust systems there are three reasons people do not replace them:

- Some people don't like noise.
- They usually reduce performance
- They cost to much for the "cheapest thing in a BMW" - the owner.
:wave

Last edited:
The bikes I've been around with a Remus slip on have a nice sound without being loud.
It may be loud if the owner has removed the baffle.
I would ask if the owner removed the baffle and if so ask if they still have the baffle.

If the F800 bikes have the cat in the muffler there's a decent weight savings with a slip on.

I've never changed the mufflers on any of our bikes because I'm too cheap :)

I would be surprised if 10% of newish BMWs have aftermarket exhaust.

I bet that number bumps up to 50% for a K1200S or K1200GT.
The stock mufflers on those bikes were huge.
If we had bought K1200Ss instead of K1300S I would have spent the money for different exhaust for looks alone.

6000000001.jpg

I don't think you are in the minority among BMW riders. I would be surprised if 10% of newish BMWs have aftermarket exhaust. Certainly after bikes reach a certain age when the OEM exhaust has rotted away then folks buy what they can find.

As for the newer bikes with sound OEM exhaust systems there are three reasons people do not replace them:

- Some people don't like noise.
- They usually reduce performance
- The cost to much for the "cheapest thing in a BMW" - the owner.
:wave
I would hope that most BMW owners like quiet also. That would be good to know.

The bikes I've been around with a Remus slip on have a nice sound without being loud.
It may be loud if the owner has removed the baffle.
I would ask if the owner removed the baffle and if so ask if they still have the baffle.
Thanks. I'll ask.

I prefer a nice rumble instead of the hum of a sewing machine :wave. The new Ford Mustangs are music to my ears.
OM

I have the same exhaust on my R1200R. I tried it without the baffle and whereas I liked the note, it was a little too loud. I put in the baffle and it seems to be as quiet as stock with less weight and no apparent loss of performance. You have a good exhaust. Try it with the insert.

I have the same exhaust on my R1200R. I tried it without the baffle and whereas I liked the note, it was a little too loud. I put in the baffle and it seems to be as quiet as stock with less weight and no apparent loss of performance. You have a good exhaust. Try it with the insert.
Thanks for the info.

I have to find out if the owner has the insert/baffle. He hasn't responded, but it is Sunday evening . . . .

Back