Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: 2016 R1200RT site glass oil check

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Bothell, WA - USA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by mosrrt View Post
    So my site glass says about 1/3 or a little less, the display says "CHECK"

    This is about 1/2 to 3/4 quart low ???
    The owner's manual also lets you know the volume between MIN and MAX. Section 7 - Maintenance - under Engine Oil.

    Tip: Slowly pour in a little,... stop,... check in a minute or two so new oil drains into sump,... pour again if needed, repeat until desired level. Stop guessing, don't overfill. That's even more damaging.

    If you need an owner's manual they are free to download from here. Yours is surely the 0A13 version.

    http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/s...uals_main.html

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post
    The owner's manual also lets you know the volume between MIN and MAX. Section 7 - Maintenance - under Engine Oil.

    Tip: Slowly pour in a little,... stop,... check in a minute or two so new oil drains into sump,... pour again if needed, repeat until desired level. Stop guessing, don't overfill. That's even more damaging.

    If you need an owner's manual they are free to download from here. Yours is surely the 0A13 version.

    http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/s...uals_main.html
    i have the manual , it says .95 L between full and low lines in site glass. I find this a guess to what is needed so I was looking for people who have added oil before to see what amount may be needed .

  3. #18
    Registered User wbrownell9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New Castle, DE
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by mosrrt View Post
    i have the manual , it says .95 L between full and low lines in site glass. I find this a guess to what is needed so I was looking for people who have added oil before to see what amount may be needed .
    Why do you think it's a guess? 1 US quart = 0.9463 liters --> 0.95 liter. I'm sure they do it that way on purpose because oil is sold by the quart in the US (& Canada, too?). Basically they're saying if the oil is at the bottom of the ring, empty a quart into the engine. That makes it convenient not having to keep track of a partial bottle. Maybe someone from metric-land where oil is sold by the liter can tell us if the owner's manual says that empty to full = 1.0 liter. Which would imply a marginally bigger ring on the sight glass, as it's certainly possible they have different engine variants for different markets.

    There's no way to know for sure how 1/3 above, or in the middle, or whatever actually translates to how much oil you need to bring it to the top. It depends on shape of the interior volume as the oil level rises. If it's within the ring, the engine is happy. The dash indicators, and by extension the rider, may not be, but that's a different issue.

    Seriously, just do your own experiment to find out. Take an hour and add a little at a time (giving it time to make its way to the sump between additions, like Rainman48 recommended), and see what happens. IMO, asking the internet for the definitive answer on anything oil-related is futile. Just remember: too much oil is bad. Not enough oil is worse. Any oil is better than no oil.
    2016 R1200 GSA

  4. #19
    Registered User patm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    Why do you think it's a guess? 1 US quart = 0.9463 liters --> 0.95 liter. I'm sure they do it that way on purpose because oil is sold by the quart in the US (& Canada, too?). Basically they're saying if the oil is at the bottom of the ring, empty a quart into the engine. That makes it convenient not having to keep track of a partial bottle. Maybe someone from metric-land where oil is sold by the liter can tell us if the owner's manual says that empty to full = 1.0 liter. Which would imply a marginally bigger ring on the sight glass, as it's certainly possible they have different engine variants for different markets.
    Canada is metric, the container is 1 liter or 1.05 US quart. My kids don't know what a quart is.
    The manual says 0,95 l. Min to Max.

    7100-ester-4t-synthetic-oil-10w40-1l (Copy).jpg
    Pat

    Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

  5. #20
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,253


    It took longer than I thought for the Wethead oil check method thread was started. The location of the window now just adds a step of walking around the bike more.

    I check pre-flight on all bikes and if is visible in window close to halfway just go ride.Our 1100/1150's go thru the sidestand routine as usually parked that way, and then set on center stand for pre-flight air and oil checks. Our 11S has no centerstand so if oil is at least 3/4 in window it rolls out. Trying to balance it completely upright and look at level is a Goober moment waiting to happen.

    Never got the ride down the road, stop and check oil the manual describes. Somewhere the tech writer for the manuals and the chain of command feel safe...or are chuckling...but that would not be a German thing now would it?
    I also have drained so much oil in earlier models from folks who keep topping off or adding a full quart when only a third is needed Especially on the Oilheads! A sidecar operator had 7 qts in the sump and more in the airbox! Things were leaking
    Last edited by henzilla; 05-06-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  6. #21
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,253
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Don't trust the onboard display.
    On both of our wetheads we will get a low oil warning even when the oil is between the center dot and top of the window.
    Had the oil level sensor replaced on both bikes late last fall.
    Last month on our Texas trip the low oil light went off a couple times.
    When I first had my 05RT, I stopped so many times as the oil check symbol kept lighting up on a trip...it's a somewhat new bike...where could that oil possibly be going? Answer...nowhere, and the sensor was faulty. Ever since then, peek at window and go ride.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  7. #22
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by mosrrt View Post
    i have the manual , it says .95 L between full and low lines in site glass. I find this a guess to what is needed so I was looking for people who have added oil before to see what amount may be needed .
    Don't get too concerned about the level if it is visible. If it's at or below 1/3rd on the site-glass than that it is fairly simple to deduce that if the difference between the bottom and top of the sight-glass (MIN to MAX) is 0.95L/1-QtUS than you are roughly down 0.95L-0.35L=0.60L. Therefore, if there is a straight 1-to-1 ratio regarding oil volume and it's position on the sight-glass then adding 1/2L or 1/2QtUS should take you to just about the MAX level. Because I've not bothered to concern myself with that, I would simply add 1/4L and see where that puts the level at. That's been my approach.

    BTW, I don't think MAX is necessarily equal to optimal and, if it is, I am quite certain that being halfway between MIN and MAX is perfectly fine. Personally, I really, really, don't like to fill to the MAX level. If you do that then there is no sight line above the oil level, which means you have no way of knowing if you filled above the MAX level. Far better to run at the middle of the sight-glass up to say 90% to the top of it and be able to identify what the actual level is.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanColes View Post
    Don't get too concerned about the level if it is visible. If it's at or below 1/3rd on the site-glass than that it is fairly simple to deduce that if the difference between the bottom and top of the sight-glass (MIN to MAX) is 0.95L/1-QtUS than you are roughly down 0.95L-0.35L=0.60L. Therefore, if there is a straight 1-to-1 ratio regarding oil volume and it's position on the sight-glass then adding 1/2L or 1/2QtUS should take you to just about the MAX level. Because I've not bothered to concern myself with that, I would simply add 1/4L and see where that puts the level at. That's been my approach.

    BTW, I don't think MAX is necessarily equal to optimal and, if it is, I am quite certain that being halfway between MIN and MAX is perfectly fine. Personally, I really, really, don't like to fill to the MAX level. If you do that then there is no sight line above the oil level, which means you have no way of knowing if you filled above the MAX level. Far better to run at the middle of the sight-glass up to say 90% to the top of it and be able to identify what the actual level is.
    I did this the other day and 1/2 qt added took it to about 90% in site glass . I will leave it at that .

    Thanks for your help

  9. #24
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    10,253
    I went back and re-read my 09 manual, and the volume between Min/Max...which is 0.5 quarts or 0.5litre for THIS model...which I guess is BMW speak for "kinda close". Our Oilheads seemed to be 1/3 Qt for same position of oil in window. A good reason to not go by what has worked in the past and read the manual!

    Also recommend a long ride to warm oil. My contrary mind has me now wondering if at an oil change we should be warming the newoil to scalding temps before filling crankcase to properly adhere to the "correct" volume on a cold engine (Sarcasm here)

    Just blindly pouring a full qt/l into an engine showing lower position seems to be asking for an overfill. Even my manual has the CYA statement if overfilled to take it to a Authorized Motorrad dealer to correct the level...seriously...But I guess some folks have no options, so there you go.

    Yeah, been raining here again
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  10. #25
    Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bedford, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,012
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I went back and re-read my 09 manual, and the volume between Min/Max...which is 0.5 quarts or 0.5litre for THIS model...which I guess is BMW speak for "kinda close"...
    Steve, each model's manual (that I have copies of) seems have it's own figure for the difference between "MIN and MAX".

    2019 R1250RT = 0.80L
    2014+ R1200RT = 0.95L
    2008 R1200RT = 0.50L
    1995 K1100LT = 0.60L

    I guess it would have been too much trouble for BMW to settle on a standardized range. ;-)

    My phylosophy has always been that if there is a sight-glass, I want it to read between 1/2 and 3/4 to the top so that I:
    a) know there is enough
    b) know it isn't overfilled
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Similar Threads

  1. Sight Glass Leaking in 2008 R1200RT
    By rps58 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 08:31 PM
  2. sight glass readings 2011 R1200RT
    By stebun in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-22-2011, 01:55 PM
  3. 2007 R1200RT oil sight glass help needed
    By flylow1 in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-24-2011, 02:29 AM
  4. Site Glass Reading
    By dstrass29 in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 11:33 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 03:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •