• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200RT site glass oil check

i have the manual , it says .95 L between full and low lines in site glass. I find this a guess to what is needed so I was looking for people who have added oil before to see what amount may be needed .
Don't get too concerned about the level if it is visible. If it's at or below 1/3rd on the site-glass than that it is fairly simple to deduce that if the difference between the bottom and top of the sight-glass (MIN to MAX) is 0.95L/1-QtUS than you are roughly down 0.95L-0.35L=0.60L. Therefore, if there is a straight 1-to-1 ratio regarding oil volume and it's position on the sight-glass then adding 1/2L or 1/2QtUS should take you to just about the MAX level. Because I've not bothered to concern myself with that, I would simply add 1/4L and see where that puts the level at. That's been my approach.

BTW, I don't think MAX is necessarily equal to optimal and, if it is, I am quite certain that being halfway between MIN and MAX is perfectly fine. Personally, I really, really, don't like to fill to the MAX level. If you do that then there is no sight line above the oil level, which means you have no way of knowing if you filled above the MAX level. Far better to run at the middle of the sight-glass up to say 90% to the top of it and be able to identify what the actual level is.

Don't get too concerned about the level if it is visible. If it's at or below 1/3rd on the site-glass than that it is fairly simple to deduce that if the difference between the bottom and top of the sight-glass (MIN to MAX) is 0.95L/1-QtUS than you are roughly down 0.95L-0.35L=0.60L. Therefore, if there is a straight 1-to-1 ratio regarding oil volume and it's position on the sight-glass then adding 1/2L or 1/2QtUS should take you to just about the MAX level. Because I've not bothered to concern myself with that, I would simply add 1/4L and see where that puts the level at. That's been my approach.

BTW, I don't think MAX is necessarily equal to optimal and, if it is, I am quite certain that being halfway between MIN and MAX is perfectly fine. Personally, I really, really, don't like to fill to the MAX level. If you do that then there is no sight line above the oil level, which means you have no way of knowing if you filled above the MAX level. Far better to run at the middle of the sight-glass up to say 90% to the top of it and be able to identify what the actual level is.

I did this the other day and 1/2 qt added took it to about 90% in site glass . I will leave it at that .

Thanks for your help :wave:thumb

I went back and re-read my 09 manual, and the volume between Min/Max...which is 0.5 quarts or 0.5litre for THIS model...which I guess is BMW speak for "kinda close". Our Oilheads seemed to be 1/3 Qt for same position of oil in window. A good reason to not go by what has worked in the past and read the manual!

Also recommend a long ride to warm oil. My contrary mind has me now wondering if at an oil change we should be warming the newoil to scalding temps before filling crankcase to properly adhere to the "correct" volume on a cold engine:scratch (Sarcasm here)

Just blindly pouring a full qt/l into an engine showing lower position seems to be asking for an overfill. Even my manual has the CYA statement if overfilled to take it to a Authorized Motorrad dealer to correct the level...seriously...But I guess some folks have no options, so there you go.

Yeah, been raining here again:jester

I went back and re-read my 09 manual, and the volume between Min/Max...which is 0.5 quarts or 0.5litre for THIS model...which I guess is BMW speak for "kinda close"...
Steve, each model's manual (that I have copies of) seems have it's own figure for the difference between "MIN and MAX".

2019 R1250RT = 0.80L
2014+ R1200RT = 0.95L
2008 R1200RT = 0.50L
1995 K1100LT = 0.60L

I guess it would have been too much trouble for BMW to settle on a standardized range. ;-)

My phylosophy has always been that if there is a sight-glass, I want it to read between 1/2 and 3/4 to the top so that I:
a) know there is enough
b) know it isn't overfilled

Steve, each model's manual (that I have copies of) seems have it's own figure for the difference between "MIN and MAX".

2019 R1250RT = 0.80L
2014+ R1200RT = 0.95L
2008 R1200RT = 0.50L
1995 K1100LT = 0.60L

I guess it would have been too much trouble for BMW to settle on a standardized range. ;-)

My phylosophy has always been that if there is a sight-glass, I want it to read between 1/2 and 3/4 to the top so that I:
a) know there is enough
b) know it isn't overfilled

It deepends on the cross sections of the interior of the oil sump accounting for such things as the location and dimensions of the oil pickup etc. To standardize the oil volumes for various sump volumes would require several different size sight glasses. BMW decided that isn't worth the effort (if they even thought about it). I agree with them.

And for a quick on-the-road check, if you see oil above the bottom of the red circle in the sight glass while the bike is on the side stand, you’re not low on oil.

It’s better to burn out
Because rust never sleeps

... would require several different size sight glasses. BMW decided that isn't worth the effort (if they even thought about it). I agree with them.
Rather than different sizes they could also have adjusted the lines on the sight glass, but I agree Paul, not really worth the effort or having so many different part #s.

And for a quick on-the-road check, if you see oil above the bottom of the red circle in the sight glass while the bike is on the side stand, you’re not low on oil. .
I follow the same process.
After checking that the oil level is were I want it on my bikes using the "official" BMW procedure, I then identify where the level is with the bike cold on its center-stand and on the side-stand. Once I've done that, I can use my preferred method (check the oil level before I ride), when I want to check things.

the various levels

If you are on the road and need to top up oil, what’s the best brand to use? I doubt if BMW Advantec oil is available at Auto Zone!

If you are on the road and need to top up oil, what’s the best brand to use? I doubt if BMW Advantec oil is available at Auto Zone!

That is why I always carry about 12 oz of the very same oil that is in my bike. That being said I have never had to add oil in any of my BMW’s while on a trip. I still carry enough oil to top off if needed

That is why I always carry about 12 oz of the very same oil that is in my bike. That being said I have never had to add oil in any of my BMW’s while on a trip. I still carry enough oil to top off if needed

Perhaps someone else has a recommendation? BMW dealers are so far between!

I don't carry any oil like I did for my Oilhead, the Wethead just doesn't use any oil between changes. If you are worried carry some, if I remember a half quart will take the oil up from the bottom of the sight glass ring to the top of the ring of the sight glass so find a container that will work for you.

Jay

Carry oil? I suppose if you have an oil burner, but if you get low on oil unexpectedly there are auto parts stores and motorcycle shops most everywhere. If you really need oil I wouldn't worry much about what I added. Pretty much any oil is better than no oil.

I sure wouldn't carry oil "just in case".

I just did a 2200 miles run with my 2018 RT and the oil is still in the sight glass. Good enough until it gets changed in a few hundred miles when it is due.

That was my point .... it is very difficult to not only find a BMW dealer but any place selling 5w-40 oil that meets the BMW recommended specs. Like they say "any oil" is better than no oil so if you can find 5w-40 oil better than running low but for me just easier to just carry a small amount of oil to top off if needed

I don't carry oil, and BMW's branded oil is not magic. Look at the specs: JASO MA2 and viscosity. Match the specs if possible. Certainly match the top viscosity number. This is only an example but if the spec is 15w50 and I couldn't find that I'd shoot for 20w50.

Years ago I had trouble with my Harley on a trip and it started using oil badly. It had at least three different brands and a couple different viscosities in it before I got home. It didn't bother it a bit. With a wet clutch I might be a bit pickier, and make sure it was JASO but as far as the viscosity I would put in what ever I could find, if it came down to it. If I was really in a hurt bag for oil it would get what ever I could find to make it home and change the oil ASAP.

Another think to consider is it the engine is 1/2 quart low it will run fine. It isn't like it will just fail for being a bit low on oil. No need to get all anal about it.

I don't carry oil, and BMW's branded oil is not magic. Look at the specs: JASO MA2 and viscosity. Match the specs if possible. Certainly match the top viscosity number. This is only an example but if the spec is 15w50 and I couldn't find that I'd shoot for 20w50.

So is there a brand that you recommend that is easily available at ordinary auto parts stores such as Auto Zone or O’reilly’s?

So is there a brand that you recommend that is easily available at ordinary auto parts stores such as Auto Zone or O’reilly’s?

Just to simplify things- look for the 4T on the bottle. For example-

mobil-1-racing-4t-oil.png

11410634_cst_06112_pri_larg.jpg

OM

Why do some of you want to complicate this?

Any of them that says JASO or 4T on the label. Is there any BAD oils? If you need oil, you need oil. If you can't find the "BRAND", what are you going to do, abandon the motorcycle and walk home? The O'Reily's near me carries 4-5 different 4T oils, none are the correct one for my RT. If I needed oil I would be topping off with the one with the closest viscosity and not worry about it one bit. My RT is not going to blow up because I put in 1/2 quart of 10W-40.

Stop in any auto parts, or motorcycle dealer and run what ever rated oil you can find.

Castrol has been my go-to brand for 32 years.

+1 on Castrol ! And the 4T Castrol is a fraction of the cost of what BMW wants to charge for oil.

Why do some of you want to complicate this?

Any of them that says JASO or 4T on the label. Is there any BAD oils? If you need oil, you need oil. If you can't find the "BRAND", what are you going to do, abandon the motorcycle and walk home? The O'Reily's near me carries 4-5 different 4T oils, none are the correct one for my RT. If I needed oil I would be topping off with the one with the closest viscosity and not worry about it one bit. My RT is not going to blow up because I put in 1/2 quart of 10W-40.

Stop in any auto parts, or motorcycle dealer and run what ever rated oil you can find.

Keeping it less complicated is exactly why I just carry a small amount of oil just in case. Then I never have to worry. While finding 4T oil or motorcycle oil is easy is about half the states in others not so much. I agree that adding most any magic elixir to your bike probably won't harm anything I just prefer having one less thing to worry about. But hay everyone has his/her own preferences. YMMV.

Back