• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Side stand power or switch ?

donng

I have a 2005 BMW K 1200 S love this bike

I would like to have a light activated by the sidestand switch.
for example when the side stand switch goes down it turns on
when the side stand switches up the light goes off

should I be able to just splice in or tap into the side stand safety switch ? To get this switched power ?

No I don’t want to do it manually it’s a very small LED super bright low current draw I really only want it to be activated by the side stand going up or down

I’m curious to if anyone has done this or ideas
Thanks in advance

I don't believe you can do what you suggest. Unlike the earlier bikes, the sidestand switch on your K1200 doesn't actually switch 12 volts. Instead, it switches a ground signal between two pins on the ECU. When the sidestand is down, one pin sees a ground and the other an open circuit. When the sidestand is up the first pin sees the open circuit and the second sees the ground. The ECU looks at both pins to determine sidestand position, so if both pins are grounded or both are open, the ECU defaults to sidestand down. The same kind of switch sensing is carried over to the ZFE for turn signals, horn, headlights, brake lights, heated hand grips, and so on.

I have a 2005 BMW K 1200 S love this bike

I would like to have a light activated by the sidestand switch.
for example when the side stand switch goes down it turns on
when the side stand switches up the light goes off

I don't understand why you want this.

I made it work

I’ll see if I can post some pictures

The switch has three wires red yellow white The yellow center wire when the bike is in neutral and the sidestand goes down, 12 V is switched on.
I wired a led light so that when the bike is in neutral ignition on when I extend the side stand a light under the bike illuminates the area around my kick stand

So ignition on sidestand up no light, when the sidestand goes down light goes on
After the ignition is switched off the light is on for the normal 15 seconds as the can bus shuts down.

I stand corrected. It appears that the sidestand switch is one of the few that operates on 12 volts instead of a ground signal.
Does your bike need to be in neutral for your modification to work? I believe the sidestand switch functions regardless of what gear you're in.

I made it work

I’ll see if I can post some pictures

The switch has three wires red yellow white The yellow center wire when the bike is in neutral and the sidestand goes down, 12 V is switched on.
I wired a led light so that when the bike is in neutral ignition on when I extend the side stand a light under the bike illuminates the area around my kick stand

So ignition on sidestand up no light, when the sidestand goes down light goes on
After the ignition is switched off the light is on for the normal 15 seconds as the can bus shuts down.

All righty, now I get it.......a night-light for deployment of the side stand :thumb
OM

I stand corrected. It appears that the sidestand switch is one of the few that operates on 12 volts instead of a ground signal.
Does your bike need to be in neutral for your modification to work? I believe the sidestand switch functions regardless of what gear you're in.

Thanks for the previous explanation of the switch functions good to know it will come in handy on other projects.

Yes it works in neutral
In gear it is not activated as the ECU safety mod cuts the engine as designed

It’s a very simple mod and the benefit in my environment for having a light underfoot as I move around at night it’s great

Puddle lights are not a new thing I see them on cars all the time just never before on a motorcycle and I like mine now.

I used a tap on the harness so it’s easy to return to stock
Im not totally finished with the install. I’m testing the location of the LED this one is too high and I need to turn the LED so the logo is oriented correctly
Yes I drilled a hole in the fairing. This one has some road rash from the previous owner I have a replacement lower belly pan so after I get the orientation of the LED perfect I’ll duplicate it on the new lower.
For now even if I change holes it’s easy to put a plug in this one

The way it works right now you don’t notice anything at all when the bike is running or in gear.
Only in neutral when I put the side stand down you get the bright light with BMW logo
turn the bike off and all lights go out ....or as the side stand goes up.

Attachments

• C407D2F0-85D1-4954-AD60-0D529DA81B6F.jpeg
    C407D2F0-85D1-4954-AD60-0D529DA81B6F.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2E7B86A2-6AB0-4230-BA6A-7B054FF25B46.jpeg
    2E7B86A2-6AB0-4230-BA6A-7B054FF25B46.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 32
  • D4699371-FC06-40A0-9904-CAB1BE307F21.jpeg
    D4699371-FC06-40A0-9904-CAB1BE307F21.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DD618B16-594C-4AE1-B407-0065A5FB168B.jpeg
    DD618B16-594C-4AE1-B407-0065A5FB168B.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
That's like the Bat Signal in reverse! :laugh

When are you doing up a kit to sell in our Classified section?

Back