Thread: Side stand power or switch ?

Side stand power or switch ?

I have a 2005 BMW K 1200 S love this bike

I would like to have a light activated by the sidestand switch.
    for example when the side stand switch goes down it turns on
    when the side stand switches up the light goes off

should I be able to just splice in or tap into the side stand safety switch ? To get this switched power ?

No I donít want to do it manually itís a very small LED super bright low current draw I really only want it to be activated by the side stand going up or down

Iím curious to if anyone has done this or ideas
    Thanks in advance

I don't believe you can do what you suggest. Unlike the earlier bikes, the sidestand switch on your K1200 doesn't actually switch 12 volts. Instead, it switches a ground signal between two pins on the ECU. When the sidestand is down, one pin sees a ground and the other an open circuit. When the sidestand is up the first pin sees the open circuit and the second sees the ground. The ECU looks at both pins to determine sidestand position, so if both pins are grounded or both are open, the ECU defaults to sidestand down. The same kind of switch sensing is carried over to the ZFE for turn signals, horn, headlights, brake lights, heated hand grips, and so on.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by donng View Post
    I have a 2005 BMW K 1200 S love this bike

I would like to have a light activated by the sidestand switch.
    for example when the side stand switch goes down it turns on
    when the side stand switches up the light goes off
    I don't understand why you want this.
    Walter

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

I made it work

Iíll see if I can post some pictures

The switch has three wires red yellow white The yellow center wire when the bike is in neutral and the sidestand goes down, 12 V is switched on.
    I wired a led light so that when the bike is in neutral ignition on when I extend the side stand a light under the bike illuminates the area around my kick stand

So ignition on sidestand up no light, when the sidestand goes down light goes on
    After the ignition is switched off the light is on for the normal 15 seconds as the can bus shuts down.

Left Coast Rider
    I like it! Could save you leaning your side stand into a hole in the dark.

I stand corrected. It appears that the sidestand switch is one of the few that operates on 12 volts instead of a ground signal.
    Does your bike need to be in neutral for your modification to work? I believe the sidestand switch functions regardless of what gear you're in.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by donng View Post
    I made it work

Iíll see if I can post some pictures

The switch has three wires red yellow white The yellow center wire when the bike is in neutral and the sidestand goes down, 12 V is switched on.
    I wired a led light so that when the bike is in neutral ignition on when I extend the side stand a light under the bike illuminates the area around my kick stand

So ignition on sidestand up no light, when the sidestand goes down light goes on
    After the ignition is switched off the light is on for the normal 15 seconds as the can bus shuts down.
    All righty, now I get it.......a night-light for deployment of the side stand
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by kthutchinson View Post
    I stand corrected. It appears that the sidestand switch is one of the few that operates on 12 volts instead of a ground signal.
    Does your bike need to be in neutral for your modification to work? I believe the sidestand switch functions regardless of what gear you're in.
    Thanks for the previous explanation of the switch functions good to know it will come in handy on other projects.

Yes it works in neutral
    In gear it is not activated as the ECU safety mod cuts the engine as designed

Itís a very simple mod and the benefit in my environment for having a light underfoot as I move around at night itís great

Puddle lights are not a new thing I see them on cars all the time just never before on a motorcycle and I like mine now.

I used a tap on the harness so itís easy to return to stock
    Im not totally finished with the install. Iím testing the location of the LED this one is too high and I need to turn the LED so the logo is oriented correctly
    Yes I drilled a hole in the fairing. This one has some road rash from the previous owner I have a replacement lower belly pan so after I get the orientation of the LED perfect Iíll duplicate it on the new lower.
    For now even if I change holes itís easy to put a plug in this one

The way it works right now you donít notice anything at all when the bike is running or in gear.
    Only in neutral when I put the side stand down you get the bright light with BMW logo
    turn the bike off and all lights go out ....or as the side stand goes up.
    Last edited by donng; 05-06-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Left Coast Rider
    That's like the Bat Signal in reverse!

When are you doing up a kit to sell in our Classified section?