• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

when do you shift?

I guess I've been "lugging" my engines for the last 37 years---my current R100 and R100RT only rarely see the high side of 5K, and I'm generally upshifting at something around 4K. Highway cruising speeds between 3750 and 4250rpm are pretty comfortable. The RT has a 2.91 final drive, and it's smooth as glass once it's above the buzziness zone between 4500 and 5000rpm, but I prefer my driving record clean and insurance rates low. I haven't had to replace a worn or stretched timing chain yet, either. Not a member of the "these engines love to rev" set.

Due to the final drive ratio my G/S revs at 4K RPM at 90KMH or 55MPH. 4500 RPM to go 103KMH or 60MPH. It's over 5K to go 120KMH or 70MPH.

NOT a slab bike at all! But when rolling down two lane highways out in the middle of nowhere at a nice easy pace that 800cc motor and the great suspension on that bike makes it just a dream to ride.

Hmm. With 500cc jugs, I’ve always thought of these bikes as closer to Sportsters than Hayabusas—-more efficiently and elegantly engineered than Sportsters, certainly, but, despite the roundels, not aircraft engines that I want/need to run at 75% power, and have overhauled every xxx hours. If I lived in West Texas, covering largely-unoccupied ground at 5K+ rpm, and autobahn velocities, would be do-able. But riding to Detroit, Grand Rapids, or Traverse City in 4th gear just seems a tad hyperactive.

Back