• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need Help With Paint Match 2003 K1200RS

kculver1059

I'm having to repaint my painers for the second time and need help finding the correct paint match. The microfiche calls for Frost Blue Metallic # 447. The first time I repainted them I used Color Rite BMW Frost Blue Metallic, SKU # : 8057, BMW
Manufacturer Code : 447. It was not a good match just looking at the finished job - far too gray and not metallic.

I'd like to find a better match if possible. I'm working with English Color Supply in Dallas and their color analysis machine cannot confidently match the color.

My paint scheme is Frost Blue Metallic (more silver than blue) and Marrakesh red 2. I've tried to upload a picture but for some reason cannot.

Any information or advice greatly appreciated.

Ken
Dallas, TX

This is from the MAX BMW parts fiche.

Notes:
PAINT, FROSTBLUE II 464/ MARRAKESCHROT
FOR VEHICLES WITH
FROST-BLUE/MARRAKESCHROT 2 (CODE: M788)

PEARLCOLOR PAINT FROSTBLUE 2 - 500ML 464

Lee:

That’s the color. Prettiest bike around. I’ll check with the local English Color and Supply to see if they have those paint codes.

Many, many thanks

Ken

Ken,

BMW used Glasurit paint on their bikes in the eighties and nineties. I would imagine they continued to use it on subsequent bikes. The 464 sounds like a Glasurit #.

BASF bought Glasurit and added it to their other paint lines as their premium line. They offer a cross reference between their lines so that you can create an exact match in their other, more economical lines. I would contact BASF to find one of their distributers or a painter that uses their lines and can mix up a match using BASFs formulas. Tell them you want a match for Glasurit 464.

:dance:dance:dance

Ken,

BMW used Glasurit paint on their bikes in the eighties and nineties. I would imagine they continued to use it on subsequent bikes. The 464 sounds like a Glasurit #.

BASF bought Glasurit and added it to their other paint lines as their premium line. They offer a cross reference between their lines so that you can create an exact match in their other, more economical lines. I would contact BASF to find one of their distributers or a painter that uses their lines and can mix up a match using BASFs formulas. Tell them you want a match for Glasurit 464.

:dance:dance:dance

Our 2003 K1200RS Zebras had BASF Glasurit paint.
Living in a small town I thought the paint would be a problem when we needed a paint repair.
The painter seemed lost when I mentioned Glasurit paint, but when I said BASF he said he would be able to purchase the correct paint.

Back