Thread: 2011, R1200RT crash guards

2011, R1200RT crash guards

I am looking for input on engine and crash guards for my new to me R1200RT. I am considering the Illium guards but they are expensive. My Kawasaki VoyagerXII had guards and I feel a bit vulnerable without them.

Those worked out really well, fast shipping, low cost. There are some issues in that they have to come off in order to remove the side fairings but, for the money, you simply can't beat them. Only the bars protecting the valve covers have to come off and that's just 6 8mm bolts and a couple of 3.5mm set screws.

This winter I'm going to buy a set of ZTechniks.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    can't see the link....but sure they are knock-offs of Wunderlich....Pappy is right, they must be removed to remove the fairings and only adds a few minutes to the task and i doubt they would be much help in a decent speed get-off...BUT, they do protect in a tip over...the pannier bars hinder the pillions ability to place toes on the pillion pegs....

2013 R1200RT.JPG
    ~wyman~

2015 BMW S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by wyman.winn View Post
    can't see the link....but sure they are knock-offs of Wunderlich....Pappy is right, they must be removed to remove the fairings and only adds a few minutes to the task and i doubt they would be much help in a decent speed get-off...BUT, they do protect in a tip over...the pannier bars hinder the pillions ability to place toes on the pillion pegs....
    My RT came with the Wunderlich guards. Valve covers come off with no interference. I can (carefully) remove the lower fairings without removing the guards. Remove the fairing screws, lift the fairing up a quarter inch and lean the top a little bit outward, then rotate the fairing forward around the cylinder, keeping an eye on the portion under the cylinder as it moves to the rear. Installation is the reverse, just go slow. If the fairing does not move freely, stop and adjust the position and angle. No scratches or dings so far, but a rag on the flat bars of the lower guard might provide some extra peace of mind.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

i should be out riding! wyman.winn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    My RT came with the Wunderlich guards. Valve covers come off with no interference. I can (carefully) remove the lower fairings without removing the guards. Remove the fairing screws, lift the fairing up a quarter inch and lean the top a little bit outward, then rotate the fairing forward around the cylinder, keeping an eye on the portion under the cylinder as it moves to the rear. Installation is the reverse, just go slow. If the fairing does not move freely, stop and adjust the position and angle. No scratches or dings so far, but a rag on the flat bars of the lower guard might provide some extra peace of mind.
    sounds good Larry...i prefer to remove the guards....maybe 2 min per side....
    ~wyman~

2015 BMW S1000R - Duke - Black Storm Metallic
    2013 BMW R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic

Definitely Wunderlich knocks-offs but at one-third the price and the same, if not better, quality, they were a no brainer. I'd be willing to bet money they came from the same factory. I can't imaging how you'd get the fairing off with the bars installed.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition