Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    You could split the difference and take I-81 south to Roanoke before picking up the southern (more scenic) portion of the BRP all the way to Cherokee, drop down to the Cherohala over to Tellico Plains, then angle up to Crossville where you'd pick up Hwy 70 all the way to Lebanon.\

Pete
    Thanks Pete!!!

I can travel from Philadelphia, go around Baltimore, pick up rt 70 to 340 to 7 to I 81 in Winchester VA. Take I 81 as you suggested to the Roanoke area and camp out for the night. That would be a ~6 hour ride. I think that would be enough for this old body. I will take a look at the remaining route as you suggested.

Thanks!!!
    I looked up and saw a running bear. Why do you ask Two Dogs....

I'm taking a similar route, though coming from east/central NC. Going to ride I-40 to Asheville, then the Skyway to Tellico Plains. My original plan was then to head south through Chattanooga, but I'd rather avoid the city. RT 68 looks like a decent road from Google Maps, so I might take that route.

Why ride “I” ???

Why on earth would anyone ride the interstate to get to the rally? I supposed at one point you need to make some time, butt..... I-81 is a major truck route... so is I-40.

Here is a route that shows an awesome parallel road to I-81.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Being from the Great Plains, and riding mostly in the vast west, my nervous system simply could not endure the threat of sudden death surrounding me.
    Buddy, you should try the expressways at rush hour near *any* metro area in Italy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Why on earth would anyone ride the interstate to get to the rally? I supposed at one point you need to make some time, butt..... I-81 is a major truck route... so is I-40.

I like that route. Is there a way to copy that to my NAV 6?
    I looked up and saw a running bear. Why do you ask Two Dogs....

TravelsWithBarley.com

It's like telling a kid not to touch a hot stove vs letting him do it. The pain is a lifelong lesson.
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Lightbulb WV native responding....

If your going to use the depicted route into and through the Mountain State... allow plenty of time in your schedule.

You've entered meandering territory/day riding... as travel goes.

Quite a bit of low speed (-30mph) showing on that exact route between Durbin WV and through the Highlands Scenic HY before re-connecting onto Rt 219.

I personally love the route, and RT 92/28 just east of that within the region. And I allow near 6 or 7 hours with a Cass Railroad lunch stop on that WV route.

See you in Lebanon! "travel'n" John

Buddy, you should try the expressways at rush hour near *any* metro area in Italy!
    That would be over my dead body, figuratively and maybe literally. As I noted, if a person has to do that they have both my condolences and admiration. In that kind of traffic I want an F350 with a big cattle guard on the front.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Ragman2 View Post
    I like that route. Is there a way to copy that to my NAV 6?
    Here is the link:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29297444

When the page opens, click the “More” button and you can choose to download a GPX file. You will need a program to copy it to your GPS, something like Garmin Basecamp.

CAUTION: this was a quickie route that I created for another member... I have ridden a lot of this route but not all. Zoom in really close and look at this in detail... there is quite a bit of tight twisties in this ride, so check your skills.

There is another road, VA42 that also parallels I-81 and it is very nice... you should look at that before you decide.

Also, if you want to make an overnight stop, the Big Stone Gap area in SW Virginia would be a good choice. Lots of nice little mom & pops there.

Please don’t take this route as the Bible..... but it is a good guide!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That would be over my dead body, figuratively and maybe literally. As I noted, if a person has to do that they have both my condolences and admiration. In that kind of traffic I want an F350 with a big cattle guard on the front.

I have been doing more than a little of that over the past few weeks! I just fall in with the scooters!

F350 would be a good choice... or anything with a hemi in it!

Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    If your going to use the depicted route into and through the Mountain State... allow plenty of time in your schedule.

You've entered meandering territory/day riding... as travel goes.

Quite a bit of low speed (-30mph) showing on that exact route between Durbin WV and through the Highlands Scenic HY before re-connecting onto Rt 219.
    Good advice!

I would definitely make this a 2-day ride, you will not regret taking it, though. Maybe take the Interstate back home.

Well, darn it. I talked to Clearwater Lights. They are offering free installation as long as I have the bike to them by Weds at 5. With crossing the time zone, I have an 11 hour ride time from NC, if I go through Tellico Plains and Crossville. Since my wife is driving, I suppose I could break the trip up into a two day affair. I took Tuesday off for final prep and packing. I suppose that could be accomplished on the weekend. The other option is I-40 the entire way, for 9 hours of riding time. Neither of these include stops for fuel, food, etc.

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"

Cool

Sounding like a "win-win" ARMYMUTT!
    Leaving Tuesday sometime on the nice preferred ride, advising wife "see you in Tellico Plains" as an example... arriving Fairgrounds
    Wednesday about 2pm for set-up and bike drop off. And the likely benefit of Wednesdays registration/check-in accomplished.
    With FREE install!

"travel'n" John

I talked to her last night. From her perspective, an even better benefit is that she doesn't have to leave at 6:30 AM on Wednesday, as originally planned. I'll just meet her at either the rally site or at the hotel in Smyrna. My plan is to camp near Tellico Plains, sleep until I wake up, which is likely to be about 5, and ride the last 3 hours to the rally site.

Interstate riding in the DC metro area is ...an acquired taste. You get used to it. Sort of. I commuted to work on 95/395/495 for years before coming to my senses and moving away. Now I get to work about once a week (or two) straight up 95 using the motorcycle-friendly HOV/HOT lanes (which are free to motorcycles). It's really not so bad if you only have to do it a couple times a month. There are a few choke points outside the HOT lanes - mostly in the Fredericksburg area between VA 3 & US 17 - but it's not that bad if you go early enough in the morning.

(Of course, having said that, there was a disabled vehicle in the HOT lanes on my way home last week, backed them up for 5+ miles. It was miserable & added 45 minutes to my two-hour commute.)

US 11 parallels I-81 most (if not all) of the way through Virginia and is a nice road in nearly the whole state. I-81 is constantly under construction for long stretches and sports a HUGE amount of semi truck traffic at all hours of the day & night. I'm not a fan of riding 81 for long stretches and avoid it whenever possible.

If you do go on 81, stick to the speed limit or just 5 over in Botetourt County (pronounced bought-uh-taut). Lots of speed traps. Don't forget radar detectors are illegal in Virginia - they confiscate them on sight, and if they're hard-wired, the state has been known to impound the entire vehicle.
    --
    Your MOA Digital Media Editor since 2015 | Lifetime Member #87301
    '05 R1200GS | '98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar | '19 Indian FTR1200S
    Check out Chasing the Horizon, a podcast by, for & about motorcyclers