Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy

Am I crazy

Has anyone traveled on I 81 lately on your bike from like Winchester VA to TN.
    I looked up and saw a running bear. Why do you ask Two Dogs....

I did it in my truck last week. I'm too chicken to ride that way to the Rally so I'm going to trailer it.

So whats wrong with I-81?
    2006 DL 650 V-Strom
    2016 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by crustybeemer View Post
    So whats wrong with I-81?
    Its a interstate highway, usually by a lot, the fastest way between two points. If you are going through Illinois on the interstate highways the speed limit is 70 if your not going about 80 you are running the risk of getting ran over, if you want to go a bit faster than traffic you will being doing 85 to 90 ( MPH)
    Interstate driving is supposed to be the safest and it probably is, no people turning left in front of or pulling out of a cross road into your path, leave yourself an escape route and stay aware of your surroundings and you will probably be safe.
    However riding on the interstate is not fun, many times its a boil on the butt not fun
    Its 347 miles from my house to the rally, mapping program says 4 hours An 57 minutes. I plan on taking 2 days and 60 out of the first 100 miles may be on the interstate but still wii take part of two days to get to rally because while riding fast and safe is nice,having fun much nicer.
    Last this is just my opinion and we all know opinions are like - we all have one

There are many fun stretches of interstate highway in this part of the world. But I agree that I70 in OH and west across the Mississippi is not one of them. I once lived near I81 in the Roanoke area. The road itself was a decent ride, but traffic could turn it into a road of misery. I can only surmise that things are worse 40 years later.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Interstates are a means to an end. I never think twice about them if I actually need to BE somewhere. I riding I-40 all the way to the rally because I don't have the time off to burn to find a better route.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

I once got on I-95 south of Washington, DC headed south toward Richmond. Traffic was several lanes wide, bumper to bumper, running about 80 mph, with a cacophony of brake lights flashing intermittently ahead of me. I had moved over out of the right lane, but promptly worked back right and took the next exit. I had been on I95 precisely 1.5 miles. Being from the Great Plains, and riding mostly in the vast west, my nervous system simply could not endure the threat of sudden death surrounding me. From there I sauntered on the back roads through the woods to Dave Swisher's house, using my GPS to get me to the right spot. For those eastern and/or urban riders that can tolerate these riding conditions, you have both my admiration and my condolences.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

My favorite Interstate highway story: Several years ago a buddy and I were on the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-70, I-76 and others). Bumper to bumper traffic. Too fast for conditions. Too many big trucks. Too narrow road lanes and too narrow shoulders. Concrete walls alongside you leading to a sort of tunnel vision that was sorta claustrophobic. I kept hearing horns blasting away all around me but could not figure out where they were coming from. After a few miles I made my way across the driving lanes and pulled into a rest area, my riding buddy right behind me. When he took off his helmet his face was as white as a sheet--this was his first motorcycle tour outside of the Kansas/Oklahoma/Nebraska region--and he appeared to be holding his breath. When he relaxed a bit I asked if he had heard all that horn-honking and he gasped. "Yeah" he said, "it was me. My hands had a death grip on the bars and my thumb was pushing the horn button and I could not release it. Man, I was petrified!"

We got off the 'Pike at the next exit and continued on back roads the rest of the trip until we got back across the Mississippi River.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Please reference my remark concerning Left-Lane "campers" out on OUR highways....

It is as you state:
    Not Fun on I-81!
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...t-Lane-Campers

Nevertheless, we'll see U somehow in Lebanon, TN next month!

Ciao,
    HSV-Phil + HSV-Karen

Reconsidering

To avoid I-81, I could take RT 64 to RT 65

or

take RT 15 to RT 29 and then RT 40 to Lebanon. This route would take longer but may be a (funner) ride.

On the 13th, I would like to have just a short ride to the rally. My plan is to camp the 8 days but this ~70 year old body may rebel.

Wait, it's 8 days long?

Imported Norwegian Viking viking59's Avatar
    Leave earlier and take the Skyway / Parkway all the way into Cherokee. Then jump on I40. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by R65_Steve View Post
    Wait, it's 8 days long?
    The Rally is not 8 days but my trip down and back will be 8 days.

Quote Originally Posted by viking59 View Post
    Leave earlier and take the Skyway / Parkway all the way into Cherokee. Then jump on I40. Problem solved.
    Thought about that too. I wanted to get down there as quickly as possible and do my return trip on the parkway.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    You could split the difference and take I-81 south to Roanoke before picking up the southern (more scenic) portion of the BRP all the way to Cherokee, drop down to the Cherohala over to Tellico Plains, then angle up to Crossville where you'd pick up Hwy 70 all the way to Lebanon.\

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/