• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Avoiding route 81...How's route 220 through Pennsylvania?

rick601

Probably first of several such queries for a trip from upstate NY to Upstate NY (yeah-never just out and back eh?) Anyway highpoints are memphis, Clarksdale Ms, New Orleans, Texas (some gulf and Austin Ozarks and Russell Ak,...from there not sure, Time may become a factor) ANYWAY, easiest for me to look at maps and where in doubt about routes, ask here! So...Route 220 to us route 50 to memphis...is 220 horribly longer than route 81 south...I am SOOO tired of that road! I think we took 11 once...kinda nice but it looks like 220 gets us wester and I've never been on it AFAIK.

To get to the Hamburg rally, I made a route that kept me entirely off the interstates. The Pennsylvania map showed lots of nice twisty roads like we have here in southeast Ohio and I went out of my way to use Route 219. Apparently the PA engineers are a lot more conservative than their OH counterparts. Roads posted at 55 mph here are posted at 45 or 50 in PA, and the center stripe is continuous double yellow, even on long straights. The road surfaces were good, and the scenery was pretty, but allow plenty of extra time.

Probably first of several such queries for a trip from upstate NY to Upstate NY (yeah-never just out and back eh?) Anyway highpoints are memphis, Clarksdale Ms, New Orleans, Texas (some gulf and Austin Ozarks and Russell Ak,...from there not sure, Time may become a factor) ANYWAY, easiest for me to look at maps and where in doubt about routes, ask here! So...Route 220 to us route 50 to memphis...is 220 horribly longer than route 81 south...I am SOOO tired of that road! I think we took 11 once...kinda nice but it looks like 220 gets us wester and I've never been on it AFAIK.

Don't remember much about 220 in PA, but it's a pretty road further south. Route 50 through MD & WVa is pretty, but not fast. Look for sand/gravel in the twists/turns. Just make sure you have ample time, don't rush it, and enjoy the ride!

Don't remember much about 220 in PA, but it's a pretty road further south. Route 50 through MD & WVa is pretty, but not fast. Look for sand/gravel in the twists/turns. Just make sure you have ample time, don't rush it, and enjoy the ride!

Thanks. Yes, enjoy the ride! We have Memphis to New Orleans figures pretty much(Natchez trace pkway) Texas May be a challenge and how to get north again from Russel Ak. If we have time I have a cousin in Fries Va, way east or we might shoot up “the great river road”. I love a mix of serendipity and planning.

how to get north again from Russel Ak. .

North on hwy 7 and cross Bull Shoals Lake on the Peel ferry.
East on 160 to Alton Mo.
North on hwy 19 to Cuba.
Wagon Wheel Motel on old Route 66 in Cuba is a nice place to stay.
https://www.wagonwheel66cuba.com/

Try to get some riding in west of Austin in the Hill Country.

Edit: Oops, my directions were starting from Russelville Ar. :)

North on hwy 7 and cross Bull Shoals Lake on the Peel ferry.
East on 160 to Alton Mo.
North on hwy 19 to Cuba.
Wagon Wheel Motel on old Route 66 in Cuba is a nice place to stay.
https://www.wagonwheel66cuba.com/

Try to get some riding in west of Austin in the Hill Country.

Edit: Oops, my directions were starting from Russelville Ar. :)

I also misspoke the starting point- it's Rogers Ar. However your route is easily adapted to our purposes...thanks...Gonna check miles and time and see how deep we want to get into Texas- my son's butt is tougher than mine!!Austin may even be a bit far- motel in Cuba looks cool!

Back