Thread: Top Box wobbles on R 1200 RT

Cool Top Box wobbles on R 1200 RT

I have a 2013 R 1200 Rt with the large top box. Came to my attention that it shakes quite a bit when riding. Two others I know say they have the same problem. Any one else experiencing this problem. If so have you come up with a fix?
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Top case wobble fix

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    I have a 2013 R 1200 Rt with the large top box. Came to my attention that it shakes quite a bit when riding. Two others I know say they have the same problem. Any one else experiencing this problem. If so have you come up with a fix?
    I have a 2007 RT, with 75000 miles now. I travel mostly with wife and luggage. A large part of these miles were on rough roads in Canada, in the north-east USA and more recently Mexico. Bothered by the top case wobble, I first changed the rubber pieces under the top case, which were worn, and it helped.

Later, when I saw that the silver part of the rear carrier plate had developed hairline cracks, I searched the web for a permanent fix, and found it in Great Britain from Cymarc (cymarcbikeparts.co.uk) : a laser-cut Stainless steel reinforcement plate that bolts over the rack. It adds thickness, hence a tighter fit, and rigidity. And peace of mind... The price was reasonable, delivery was fast enough and the product is high quality. This part no longer shows on their web page but try contacting them, they are nice people and they make this kind of part on order only.

If you by chance have any photos of the plate from Cymarc - before and after installation - that you could share here, that would be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by 196056 View Post
    I have a 2007 RT, with 75000 miles now. I travel mostly with wife and luggage. A large part of these miles were on rough roads in Canada, in the north-east USA and more recently Mexico. Bothered by the top case wobble, I first changed the rubber pieces under the top case, which were worn, and it helped.

Later, when I saw that the silver part of the rear carrier plate had developed hairline cracks, I searched the web for a permanent fix, and found it in Great Britain from Cymarc (cymarcbikeparts.co.uk) : a laser-cut Stainless steel reinforcement plate that bolts over the rack. It adds thickness, hence a tighter fit, and rigidity. And peace of mind... The price was reasonable, delivery was fast enough and the product is high quality. This part no longer shows on their web page but try contacting them, they are nice people and they make this kind of part on order only.
    Thanks I will check that out.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    Thanks I will check that out.
    Seems like you've been gone for a while?
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Mine has done it since I got my 90th edition. Wobbled through 88,000 miles on that bike. Now it sits on my 2016 R1200RT and it's still wobbling along. It's never fallen off and I ride my bikes pretty hard (big bumps and occasional flight). I nicknamed it the "Disassembler of Pens" as no pen I have left in it has come out whole.

I've always wanted to fix it, but haven't spent the time figuring out how. I've thought of building up the rubber pads or even just adding some thick rubber to the bottom of it to tighten up how it sits on the rack. Anyways, let me know what you come up with!
    Current rides:
    2016 R1200RT Ebony Metallic - 12k miles
    2012 R1200GS Rallye - 18k miles
    Previous BMWs: 2013 R1200RT 90th, 2011 R1200RT-P, 2007 R1200S, 2006 R1200RT

You can actually by fresh rubber bumpers from BMW to replace your old ones which have shrunk a little. You can also simply ad a few layers of duct tape to build up the old bumpers a cheap partial fix.

Lots of hardware stores and home supplies stores sell rolls of rubber that are intended to line the bottom of tool box drawers. It's one of my goto materials for shimming stuff that rattles. You can also find a double sided 3M foam tape to hold it in place.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...